• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

Remathilis

Legend
Possibly. I'm rather going by my DVD copy of the original theatrical release (which is actually the bonus disc that came with the 90s theatrical release). It never mentions the episode number or the subtitle. I'm guessing that would be the version on tbe laserdisc, too.
Yeah, that version is the laserdisc, but they removed the episode title from it to mimic the 77 release. (They used a remaining print of the film reel just for that part of the crawl)

bmfrosty

Explorer
I'm really excited about this. I've been running TYP after work at a store and having to lug around a bunch of books just sucks.

I'm excited to be able to run an adventure off of just a chromebook.

I'll probably pick up the PHB, DMG, and MM right off the bat and also LMoP if it's available so that I can explore it. I'll pick up other crunch books opportunistically since I've already purchased VGTM and SCAG. If it's all I ever wanted with sprinkles on top, It's the way I'll go from here on out.

Still not sold on the subscription though. Depends on how annoying the ads are.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Possibly. I'm rather going by my DVD copy of the original theatrical release (which is actually the bonus disc that came with the 90s theatrical release). It never mentions the episode number or the subtitle. I'm guessing that would be the version on tbe laserdisc, too.

As someone who still owns that first Letterboxed release of STAR WARS on Laserdisc I'm fairly certain that Episode IV appears in the opening crawl. All of the early home video releases, including it's run on HBO i beleive had Episode IV added to the title crawl.

When Empire was released Lucas added the episode V to it's title crawl, so to avoid confusion (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!) for the 1981 re-release of STAR WARS he added Episode IV to the crawl. ANd that's the version that was used for all of the Home video releases until the 1997 Special Edition versions.

(EDIT: It's actually been a while since I've had my LD player hooked up and watched that disc. I'll check sometime this weekend and verify if this is accurate or not)

There are versions out there called the Despecialized versions that a group of intrepid fans put together that basically uses parts of an original 35mm print and various digital versions of STAR WARS to replicate the movies as they exisited upon thier original release. I've seen these with my own eyes and they are amazing. If only Disney/Fox would work jointly to produce offical versions of the orignal films I'm certain that they would sell very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Satyrn

First Post
As someone who still owns that first Letterboxed release of STAR WARS on Laserdisc I'm fairly certain that Episode IV appears in the opening crawl. . .

Thank you. This expains what was going on quite well.

But I should add that [MENTION=7635]Remathilis[/MENTION] had already done a good job of showing me I was wrong, too

It may very well cannibalize book sales if it offers a comfortable* way to read a book. I'm really leaning towards it to be how I buy future books. If it works well.

I think I also need to know I don't need an active subscription to access what I've bought.

*I can't think of a better word to describe what I'm looking for as far as readability goes.

I'm interested in seeing what the full experience of the books will be like, but they have offered a glimpse. They will be incoporated into the Compendium section, and here's a screenshot they shared for Curse of Strahd. So I guess looking at the current Compendium and thinking of that as how the PHB is sorta* presented gives some hints at what the other books would look like when purchased.

Since the Elemental Evil Player's Companion is already included, it'd be nice if they displayed that as a free sample of what a book purchase would specifically look like.

* It isn't a great example, because it's actually the basic rules all spread out by rules section, whereas specific book purchases like Tomb of Annihilation, Volo's Guide, etc. will be more explicitly "Here is the book chapter 1, chapter 2, etc.".

Edit to add screenshots right from PHB and MM.

Satyrn

First Post
I'm interested in seeing what the full experience of the books will be like, but they have offered a glimpse. They will be incoporated into the Compendium section, and here's a screenshot they shared for Curse of Strahd. So I guess looking at the current Compendium and thinking of that as how the PHB is sorta* presented gives some hints at what the other books would look like when purchased.

Since the Elemental Evil Player's Companion is already included, it'd be nice if they displayed that as a free sample of what a book purchase would specifically look like.

* It isn't a great example, because it's actually the basic rules all spread out by rules section, whereas specific book purchases like Tomb of Annihilation, Volo's Guide, etc. will be more explicitly "Here is the book chapter 1, chapter 2, etc.".
Thank you. That is exactly what I need to see before I buy. That is what I was expecting since, as you say, the basic rules are mostly the same, so that's good.

Using the Elemental Evil Guide as a sample is a brilliant idea.

Thank you. That is exactly what I need to see before I buy. That is what I was expecting since, as you say, the basic rules are mostly the same, so that's good.

Using the Elemental Evil Guide as a sample is a brilliant idea.

Thank you for making me think about it! It prompted me to drop a note on their forum requesting it. What I'm really interested in seeing is what an adventure would look like in there. So I also asked about SKT: Great Upheaval since that's a free adventure, so it might be possible for them to add it.

(If anyone else thinks it would be good to have those as free samples and have logins over there, feel free to "me too" that post and see if we can talk them into it! I know they are watching that thread in particular closely.) :)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Interesting. If I own a rule book expansion, will those rules show up there and in character sections also? Or will I need to go back and forth, do people think?

Remove ads

Remove ads