D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

It shows up in all sections. That's rather the fundamental functionality.
Which is really nice. You can see it in action already in the monster section, where they have the complete list of monsters from everything, including the APs, although you can only access those from the SRD at the moment, with the others awaiting the customer to purchase (and they helpfully list the sourcebook necessary to purchase) to unlock and allow access.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Satyrn

First Post
Indeed.

It's actually because the fundamental functionality is to combine all the content that I'm wondering if I will be able to view that content separated out into its original page layout from the book - like reading it as a pdf.

lkj

Hero
Thank you for making me think about it! It prompted me to drop a note on their forum requesting it. What I'm really interested in seeing is what an adventure would look like in there. So I also asked about SKT: Great Upheaval since that's a free adventure, so it might be possible for them to add it.

(If anyone else thinks it would be good to have those as free samples and have logins over there, feel free to "me too" that post and see if we can talk them into it! I know they are watching that thread in particular closely.) :)

He replied!

"There will certainly be more in-depth previews between now and launch.
In the short term, I can share that the adventures will have the full text of the adventure with all of the interior art. Maps and art will be clickable into a lightbox for high-res versions, and from there they can be downloaded for full-size versions in you want to use those in a VTT or anywhere else.
All relevant text will be cross-linked/ tooltipped like everything else in the site. It's really nice to run a session using these...just hover over a monster to see AC, Hit Points, and so on on the fly, or click out to a new tab to see the creature's full statistics very quickly.
In short, it is a digital copy of the book with full linking and all art.
Of course, these will become even more useful down the road as we add the encounter builder and combat management - all these adventures will automatically receive all that functionality."

link: http://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d...st-15th-pricing-details-announced?comment=663

AD

eayres33

Explorer
He replied!

"There will certainly be more in-depth previews between now and launch.
In the short term, I can share that the adventures will have the full text of the adventure with all of the interior art. Maps and art will be clickable into a lightbox for high-res versions, and from there they can be downloaded for full-size versions in you want to use those in a VTT or anywhere else.
All relevant text will be cross-linked/ tooltipped like everything else in the site. It's really nice to run a session using these...just hover over a monster to see AC, Hit Points, and so on on the fly, or click out to a new tab to see the creature's full statistics very quickly.
In short, it is a digital copy of the book with full linking and all art.
Of course, these will become even more useful down the road as we add the encounter builder and combat management - all these adventures will automatically receive all that functionality."

link: http://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d...st-15th-pricing-details-announced?comment=663

AD

This might actually be a game changer for me. That type of easy while running a adventure might make having to pay a little more than I would think its worth for the other features worthwhile. I still probably won't buy anything until it is live for a month or so and some reviews are in but it is sounding like a more interesting product all the time.

guachi

Hero
It's too bad they feel the need to add monster stat pop-ups to the APs. A well-written AP would have the monster stats better laid out (see the current thread on how to present adventures).

The APs are awful in how they present monsters in encounter areas with no in-line monster statistics. I shouldn't need to "hover over a monster to see AC, Hit Points, and so on on the fly". It should already be there in the text.

lkj

Hero
It's too bad they feel the need to add monster stat pop-ups to the APs. A well-written AP would have the monster stats better laid out (see the current thread on how to present adventures).

The APs are awful in how they present monsters in encounter areas with no in-line monster statistics. I shouldn't need to "hover over a monster to see AC, Hit Points, and so on on the fly". It should already be there in the text.

I agree that some things can be improved with a better layout. On the other hand, I'm glad they are taking advantage of possibilities of the digital medium. Because there's a limit to how much detail you can include inline without adding too many pages. And it'd be nice to pop around between maps, encounters, and other relevant parts of the adventure with a click rather than page flipping.

AD

For something online like this, I prefer the opposite actually. When I'm reading over an adventure, I don't want all those stats in the way. But when I come to running combat, I just want the stats (and ALL the stats) and not all that narrative/descriptive text.

For a printed adventure, absolutely. Like you, I would also like it all in one place ideally. But when going online, I really like the added functionality of changing the presentation based on the needs of that moment.

guachi

Hero
For something online like this, I prefer the opposite actually. When I'm reading over an adventure, I don't want all those stats in the way. But when I come to running combat, I just want the stats (and ALL the stats) and not all that narrative/descriptive text.

For a printed adventure, absolutely. Like you, I would also like it all in one place ideally. But when going online, I really like the added functionality of changing the presentation based on the needs of that moment.

Yes, online it's fine to have the monster stats hidden. You are right that not seeing the stats until you need them is a good thing.

However, upon further reflection, I think a 'hover over' is the wrong way to go. How do you do a 'hover over' on a smart phone? Does the pop-up text obscure the other text describing the encounter? Why not have a button you can click (like the text of the monster name or something) and have it expand the text? Sort of like the "spoiler warning" tag does on forum posts.

lkj

Hero
Yes, online it's fine to have the monster stats hidden. You are right that not seeing the stats until you need them is a good thing.

However, upon further reflection, I think a 'hover over' is the wrong way to go. How do you do a 'hover over' on a smart phone? Does the pop-up text obscure the other text describing the encounter? Why not have a button you can click (like the text of the monster name or something) and have it expand the text? Sort of like the "spoiler warning" tag does on forum posts.

It does both. The tooltipping is desktop functionality (as you say, no hover on a smartphone). But desktop or smartphone, clicking an item will bring up the full entry.

The tooltipping is just nice when you want a quick look at stats of the creature or the effect of a condition and don't need the full text.

AD

Remove ads

Remove ads