• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Beyond - Xanathar's is Up!

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
J9NAQXN.png

Mmm, I feel special.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
One thing that is standing out to me is the buff druids are getting in the spells department. This actually makes a land druid a much nicer option than before.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I just woke up and started reading through myself. They greatly disappointed me with the Oath of Redemption path (one of the first things I looked for). I've always found the notion of an unarmored paladin interesting (though granted, the 16 + Dex from before was ridiculous). Now the concept is dead in the water, so I'll just keep using the UA.

I'll make sure to keep a look out for the exploding head comments lol - thanks for pointing that out.

G

Guest 6801328

I just woke up and started reading through myself. They greatly disappointed me with the Oath of Redemption path (one of the first things I looked for). I've always found the notion of an unarmored paladin interesting (though granted, the 16 + Dex from before was ridiculous). Now the concept is dead in the water, so I'll just keep using the UA.

Would love some details about Oath of Redemption. Won't get my copy for over a week.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Would love some details about Oath of Redemption. Won't get my copy for over a week.

Gets a lot of defensive and enchantment spells on its bonus spell list. Can use Channel Divinity for a bonus to Persuasion checks, or to use a reaction to deal radiant damage to someone who did damage to someone other than the paladin (damage is equal to the damage the bad guy just did).

At 7th, can use their reaction to take damage intended for someone else within 10'. At 15th you heal up 1d6 + half level every round if you're below half hit points. 20th is the normal paladin Super Saiyan mode, but purely defensive.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am surprisingly pleased with the Cavalier. I like it. Arcane Archer seems strong as well.

Mantle of Whispers ability for the bard College of Whispers is very interesting. I like it a lot.

Last edited:

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Wow, half-elf hexblade archers are definitely going to be a thing.
Half-elves were already OP, now they're just stupidly OP.

I find it a little disappointing. It's a bit boring and, IMO, very underpowered. I can't see it being very popular since it's basically a masochist with nothing to compensate for it and it really doesn't synergise well with the paladin core class abilities. This is one sub-class that needed more time to be cooked properly.

I am surprisingly pleased with the Cavalier. I like it. Arcane Archer seems strong as well.

Mantle of Whispers ability for the bard College of Whispers is very interesting. I like it a lot.
Cavalier is weird. I can see it causing a lot of headaches at the table as players and DM's try to keep track of and implement its features. It's very cumbersome and clunky IMO.

Arcane Archer seems OK, although it's features are very wonky in terms of power and only having two shots per rest is just odd. It's not really even as good as a battlemaster focusing on archery.

College of Whispers, however, is actually really cool. Lots of RP potential and shenanigans with NPC's there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads