D&D 5E D&D Inclusivity for People with Disabilities

ccs

41st lv DM
The modeling of Halflings seems to have changed quite a bit from 3.5 to 5e; no more -2 relative strength difference from humans and no 3/4 multiplier for carrying capacity. But they weren't just straight up toddlers before in any case.

Thats nice of them & all, but whatever the ability mods of a particular edition, my 3' tall halfling's chief obstacles in life remain - how to reach the top shelf....
Or navigating stairs built for humans.
Etc.

The modeling of Halflings seems to have changed quite a bit from 3.5 to 5e; no more -2 relative strength difference from humans and no 3/4 multiplier for carrying capacity. But they weren't just straight up toddlers before in any case.

I think it would be cool if they did have the strength of toddlers. That would at least make them interesting.

More than creating a character with disabilities, I wish the published material was more color-blind friendly. My son has the rarest form of color blindness there is, and can't see blue at all. Blue on white look the same to him, yellow and green, and red and purple. Because of this, a lot of the maps mean nothing to him.

More than creating a character with disabilities, I wish the published material was more color-blind friendly. My son has the rarest form of color blindness there is, and can't see blue at all. Blue on white look the same to him, yellow and green, and red and purple. Because of this, a lot of the maps mean nothing to him.

Is he reading the maps in print or on a screen?

On an android phone you can go into settings -> Accessibility -> Display -> Color correction

Northern Phoenix

Adventurer
To be fair, in real life Oscar Pistorius won four olympic silver medals running on prosthetic legs

Your own link shows his his greatest achievement in non-disability sports was placing 16th out of 51 in the 2012 Olympics. But even assuming he won 4 Olympic silver medals, his legs are highly specialized for that particular task (mid range running on a flat track) and would struggle to do the breadth of tasks regular feet are made, such as uneven footing, ladders, or anything more complicated such as say, sword-fighting. They also require constant maintenance and are not made for long treks into the wilderness.

Pistorius' prosthesis don't negate his disability, they just let him do one very specific thing almost as well as a non-disabled person. Which is great!
What's not great is is a fictional character with cyber-magic-machine legs that do everything real legs do and more claiming to be "disabled"

Sorry I misread the table.

The silver medals were from the International Association of Athletics Federations World Championship and from the African Championships in Athletics.

This is still better than the vast majority of people who have their legs could do. He's still competing on an international level and placing.

Hussar

Legend
Again, the trick is, not everyone is an Olympic level athlete. Most amputees generally aren't - kinda like how most of us aren't either.

And, @Northern Phoenix's point is well made. If the "disability" is actually an advantage, well, it's not really a disability is it?

Remove ads