• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D1: Ashin's Commission (El Jefe judging)

Patlin

Explorer
"It wouldn't be a hard jump, but I'd rather not try it looking over my shoulder for that shadow at the same time. If someone wants to try it, I'll help pass you over, but I think we should take one thing at a time."

If anyone responds that they'll give the jump a go, Ironwolf will aid another. Otherwise, he'll continue to full defend.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Since this thing can go through walls, it seems fairly certain that the light magically seals it in. Thus, if we wish to bait it and rid the world of its antilife aura, I am afraid we may need to choose the path with the hole. I agree with Ironwolf's plan though--have those that cannot harm the creature aid in jumping, and keep everyone within sight of those who have ranged attacks that can harm it."

B4cchus

Explorer
"Who says i can't hurt it? I haven't even begin tryin to hurt it! But ok.. if you wish me to help you across i will..."

Like Ironwolf, Hulgyr will try and aid anybody who wants to get across (if there is enough room to help along with ironwolf). Otherwise he remains vigilant and waits until there is room to cross the pit.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"If your weapon isn't magic, you cannot hurt it. It is futile to try, like attacking your own shadow, or the sunlight. Just like it would foolish for me to use my power on a Psionkiller, but your sword would cleave through its crystal."

Erekose13

Explorer
At Ironwolf's invitation, Eternity will be the first to jump across the gap. With help from Ironwolf (and Hulgyr if he can help too) it should be easy for her to make it...
[sblock=stat]Jump -1[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
--- Round 6 ---

It takes a bit of shuffling around to make some space. Ironwolf sets himself up at the edge of the pit, ready to give the others a hand to jump across. Glancing down he notices that there are spikes, dulled with age and grim, lining the bottom of the pit.

Eternity goes first. She lines up, takes a couple of strides and launches herself across the pit to land safely on the other side. Gathering herself up, she backs off a little to give the next person room.

-ooc-
Just noting rounds for the sake of keeping tabs on spell durations. One person jumping per round sounds about right.

[sblock=Jump DC 10]Humm, Spd modifiers. Didn't know about them. The DC above represents the lack of available run up space. Please include it if necc in the check mod you give me.

From SRD: Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a –6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.

All Jump DCs given here assume that you get a running start, which requires that you move at least 20 feet in a straight line before attempting the jump. If you do not get a running start, the DC for the jump is doubled.

Long Jump: A long jump is a horizontal jump, made across a gap like a chasm or stream. At the midpoint of the jump, you attain a vertical height equal to one-quarter of the horizontal distance. The DC for the jump is equal to the distance jumped (in feet).

If your check succeeds, you land on your feet at the far end. If you fail the check by less than 5, you don’t clear the distance, but you can make a DC 15 Reflex save to grab the far edge of the gap. You end your movement grasping the far edge. If that leaves you dangling over a chasm or gap, getting up requires a move action and a DC 15 Climb check.
[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Zaeryl will keep his readied action for now. He wants to jump second to last, just in case he can smack the Shadow with an attack. Also, he will jump ASAP if his readied action triggers, so he can set up another one on the other side.*

doghead

thotd
--- Round 7 ---

Michael lines up next. He lumbers forwards and jumps. But even with a shove from Ironwolf, the cleric of Sela doesn't have the speed to make the distance. He crashes heavily into the edge on the far side, half out and half in the pit. The landing knocks the wind out of Michael and before he can react, he falls back into the pit and crashes heavily to the bottom 10 feet below {dam1}.

A cold iron spike punches through the cleric's armour {dam 5}.

A hissing sound is the only warning that Zaeryl gets as the shadow rises up from the floor at the psion's feet. The small patch of spilt holy water bubbles as the shadow rises up through it. Zaeryl unleashes his Crystal Shard attack as the shadow reaches for the shaper's heart with its cold hands. The razor sharp shard disappears into the shadow's shadowy body. Zaeryl has the satisfaction of seeing the shadows features twist with annoyance as it comes up hard against the psion's force shield.

Almayce swings around and unleashes his own attack. But with target tucked tightly between Zaeryl and the wall, the cleric is unable to guide his weapon to a successful strike.

Hulgyr leaps towards Zaeryl as well. But his sword is ineffectual against the shadow.

- OOC -
Not sure who wants to go next, so I am just going to nominate people to keep this moving.
Almayce: Readied Spiritual Weapon cast (1d8+1), until R9.
Hulgyr: Readied attack triggered.
Michael: 12/18 hp?
Zaeryl: Readied Crystal Shard manifest, 1 pp; FS until R24.

ajanders

Explorer
I see my thread notifier needs work.

Ow.
Michael looks up and thanks Sela for a nice soft landing on hard stone.

Owww.
Then he sees the foot long spike sticking out of his thigh.

Oh boy.
Michael turns his head and feels a little sick as two more spikes rasp against his gorget.

That was much too close.

"Ironwolf? Hold up a minute! There's spikes down here!"

Michael grits his teeth and levers himself off the spike, ignoring the nasty tearing feeling in his leg.
At least the scar will be hidden under my pants.

Standing up, Michael scrabbles for his lantern and flint. With his luck, the thing's gotten smashed or spilt in the fall...

(Light his lantern, look around.)

Remove ads