• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D20 CoC] Beyond the Mountains of Madness - Chapter 1; Recruiting Alternate Players

Job

First Post
Watus said:
"Yes, quite," Vitus remarks, frowning. He folds the now dog-eared manifest and replaces it in his breast pocket. "I am afraid [Professor Moore] is unlikely to be pleased."

With the brothers, presumably, in tow, Vitus will search out Dr. Moore and present their findings.
"Mother of God!" exclaimed Dr. Moore as he listened to Vitus and the the Gunnar brothers describe the missing dynamite, blasting caps and fuse. "This must be pure coincidence. Let me ring up the vendor."

Doctor Moore rifled through a filing cabinet and retrieved a manila folder, then hustled down the hall and up a flight of stairs to the radio room, where you were confronted with a bewildering array of electrical equipment lining the walls and desks; metal panels with switches, knobs, meters, small colored indicator lights, wiring harnesses, and microphones adorned every surface. A sturdy chest in the corner contained several large lead-acid batteries. Following Dr. Moore into the room, you were greeted by a large man with dark hair, a cigarette dangling from his mouth, and a French accent. "Bon Jour, Professeur Moore. May I help you?" he asked.

Moore responded, "Louis, please contact Giordano's Construction Company for me. Tell them it is urgent!" The Professor then paced the room while Louis worked the telephone switchboard to ring the company. Once a manager answered, Moore hurriedly told him of the missing items, asked a few questions and responded numerous times with "Yes, I understand,", then hung up.

"Well gentlemen," announced the Professor, "apparently the dynamite and blasting caps cannot be shipped to us until we obtain a New Jersey license. The manager mentioned that he sent several letters to Commander Starkweather advising him of this, but he has not responded. I'm afraid that I'll need to travel to Newark in the morning and fill out the appropriate paperwork.

"That does not, however, explain what happened to the coils of time blasting fuse which were shipped by Giordano's long ago to the dock. We'll need to investigate further,"
said Professor Moore with a puzzled look.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Attachments

• Radio Operator Louis LaRoche.jpg
    Radio Operator Louis LaRoche.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Job

First Post
Drowned Hero said:
'what a day! work work work I hope the doctor realises that this treasure hunt ting is NOT my field' he stands up and looks at Willard where is the good doctor you said?' If Willard knows George will go and find Dr.Moore and report to him. 'You comming Øyvind?'
Drowned Hero said:
'Jajaja Im comming just let me get my boots on again' Øyvind stands up folds the chair and follows George to find Dr.Moore.
Willard Griffith directs you back to the Ship's Mess to find Dr. Moore.

As you walked back the room, Professor Moore looked up from his papers and seemed to notice your tired gait, saying "Ah! The returning warriors!" He then stood up, smiled, and asked, "So what have you boys found?"

ØYVIND'S RESULTS
After Øyvind told Dr. Moore of the missing generators, he looked through his files and located the order, then asked Louis to contact the Willard an Ball Agricultural Supply Company of Chicago, Illinois. He learned that the generators had not been shipped because payment for $370 was never received and Dr. Moore made a note to send them a check.

When Øyvind mentioned the missing cookset, Dr. Moore verified that they were indeed shipped to the docks. "Gentlemen, if we can't find these cooksets, then I'll need to pay for more. Any ideas?"

GEORGE'S RESULTS
After George mentioned the missing jars of sour cream, Dr. Moore checked his logs and looked puzzled. "These were definitely ordered and recieved. Are you sure that Øyvind didn't take them for a snack?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Job

First Post
Morpheus said:
"One can never be too careful, monsieur."
"So true, Martin, so true!" exclaimed Dr. Moore.

After a long pause while he seemed to be studying Martin's face and pondering some imponderable, Moore then pulled Martin aside.

[Private Instructions for Martin]
[sblock] Moore then pulled Martin off to the side and said, "I've an important request to make. We have engaged the services of J. B. Douglas to captain the U.S.S. Gabrielle. Commander Douglas, you may know, was the master of the Miskatonic Expedition's vessel Arkham. We're delighted to have him, of course, but the Commander is a very private man and wants nothing to do with the press or the public view.

"What I would like you to do is to make yourself available to the Commander and see to any needs he may have. He is due to be arriving on September 6th, and has reserved rooms at the Westbury Hotel at 440 Scammel Street. if you would meet him there that evening, after he arrives, I should be most appreciative. We want to extend him every courtesy.

OOC - Today's date is September 2nd.

"Please don't tell anyone about the Commander. We have promised him that his accomodations will be kept from the press, and that no one will bother him before the expedition sets sail. Mr. Starkweather wishes to announce Douglas' hiring himself, but of course we're not going to do that until closer to departure.

"I trust that I can count on your help?"
[/sblock]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

Job

First Post
There has been much to do to get the expedition underway. Each day has started the same, breakfast in the Rose Room, followed by a meeting of the entire party at 8 a.m. Moore questions each person about their list--what is accomplished, what remains to do--and moves assignments around when anyone completes all tasks or falls behind.

Moore's overflowing clipboard becomes legendary amongst the crew and the list of tasks seems endless. Most of the work has been simple inspection, but a few tasks were quite special.

• The entire aircraft crew traveled to Trenton, New Jersey, where the three Boeing aircraft were waiting at an airfield. Douglas Halperin (Starkweather's pilot), and Patrick Miles (the ship's aircraft mechanic) were amongst the crew who departed to handle this assignment.
  • Professor Moore did not trust the loading of delicate scientific instruments and glassware to the stevedores and asked all scientific members of the crew [including George Barrow and Vitus] to inspect and load these items.
  • The expedition's dogs required settling [with Øyvind's help] into cages in the number five tween-deck hold. The cages were rather sturdy solid wooden boxes with barred fronts, custom-made to hold the huskies comfortably on their long voyage south. The cages arrived in pieces and required assembly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Drowned Hero

First Post
Øyvind Raknes Sled driver

'This late days have been quite boring don't you think George?' Øyvind looks at the scientist as he measures the newcomer dogs and himself completing the last cage to the dogs 'have you settled down with your laboratory?' I saw the big amount of equipment you got in' 'seems you are undertaking a huge recollection of information'
'Yes yes its a lot of tings thats for sure' 'i don't think we are setting up all, it would take to much time and to much space' 'better to set up as we need it' he scribbles the last numbers on the scheme and closes his notebook 'I'm quite worried about the the padding of the glass equipment''i think i must let Dr. Moore set a buying order for a lot of hay''that man must hate me I have been asking him for so many little things these last days' he pats the dog and gives it a peace of meat from a little bucket Øyvind always have near to reward good behavior of the dogs
'crazy days you too i see... I've seen you all over the ship' he looks at the big female dog 'Ive been looking at the dogs lately and i think i have picked my crew of dogs' 'I'm taking eight and designating the other lead dogs for the rest of the spans' he takes the dogs to the new cage and lock her in. He starts to carve the names of the dogs he wants and says to George as the scientists starts to walk towards Rose Room 'hey George save one of those big peace of meat to me will you?' he laughs thinking in the many times he he find the meals quite spartan 'just joking George but do tell the Dr that I wonder how many spans he wants to organize' ' ask that for me, please'. He returns to his carving and taking a better looks at all the dogs.
I must get of this floating thing to get me a real meal and real entertainment

Last edited:

Drowned Hero

First Post
George Barrow Scientist

George walks away from Øyvind and bumbs into Dr.Moore that is holding a piece of paper in his hand. The doctor distractd on something just pass him by giving him the list and refering to the the missing jars of sour cream "These were definitely ordered and recieved. Are you sure that Øyvind didn't take them for a snack?" 'we can never know for sure can we doctor?' 'by the way Dr' 'I just saw Øyvind and he wonders how many span he is to organize' 'just take not Dr. and think on it later when you got more time The good Doctor bows a short bow and rushes towards whatever that man was doing doing his 24hr a day effort in getting the ship ready to leave dock.

George keeps the days going setting up the laboratory with Vitu's and Dr. Moore, looking after the other items padding them as good he could going trough each transport box that was received at the boat Vitu's would you help me calibrate this weight? I can't get it right' 'those three over there need some oiling too i do that tomorrow' he looks around 'seems to that all the tings Dr. Moore pointed in the list is here. Some tings needs to the calibratied but that wont take us that long I think' he looks at the brown haired physician you got all the medisin and bandages you ordered?' 'I just was at the five tween-deck hold looking at Øvind's dogs' 'I saw one of the smaller boxes there, the ones with some large bandages, or is that something you gave Øyvind?

After the work days is over for the most lucky of the crew George walks to the dock going at his favorite restaurant at the place ordering the days menu that three times a week is fish, twice its chicken and on Saturdays the meat special. Some of the crew liked to come here and drink a cold bear. This night he had no appointment he just eat his late meal and drank up his bear thinking on the journey that was ahead and the long time he was supposed to be far away from all his bellowed ones.

Job

First Post
Ship's Captain Hired

The below newsclipping was circulated amongst the crew at breakfast the next morning, September 3rd.

Professor Moore mentions Douglas in his morning speech. "This is, of course, a wonderful opportunity for us," Moore says. "My colleagues who went on the Miskatonic Expedition spoke very highly of the man. He will be a real asset."

"I do know that Captain Starkweather has spoken to him on the telephone, and that they have exchanged a number of letters. Mister Douglas has asked that he not be disturbed by the press or the public, so be will not be joining us here at the hotel, but will be meeting with the crew of the Gabrielle on his own schedule."

Moore's announcement and the newspaper article comes as quite a surprise to everyone and causes a lot of talk over breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.

Attachments

• 3-Sep-33 Commander Douglas Article.jpg
    3-Sep-33 Commander Douglas Article.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Job

First Post
An Unruly Awakening

Early in the morning, sometime before sunrise during the morning of September 4th, you're awakened from sleep in your room at the Amherst Hotel by a loud pounding out in the hallway. You then recognize Starkweather's voice (though it has a frenzied edge that you've never heard before) in the hall as he shouts "Moore! Blast you, man, I want you awake! Moore!"

Opening your door a crack to look out into the hall, you see James Starkweather in a robe and pajamas, standing before the door to Moore's room. His hair is disheveled and he is unshaven. One fist beats furiously on Moore's door while a newspaper is crushed in the other.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads