d20 Modern: What Would you change part II

Urizen

First Post
Dr. Halflight said:
I can't wait to see what they work up. I hope sales indicate more Modern20 Soon!

Hiya Dr. Halflight. This is david Jarvis. Right now I'm hard at work on Vehicles20. Here's an idea of what is changing with regards to vehicles as I strive to create a fun-amped up vehicles supplement for M20.

The format for vehicle stat blocks has expanded, adding all pertinent information about the vehicle. The new block contains the vehicle’s armor rank, max hard points, and the toughness save, available stunts, potential upgrades, restriction classes sensor suites and defense mechanisms.

Size determines the vehicle’s Max hard Points, the defense modifier and the toughness modifier.

Vehicles no longer have hit points. Vehicles now degrade by one or more categories each time the vehicle armor fails toughness save. Succeeding on a toughness save indicates the vehicle’s armor absorbed the damage.

Hard points have been added to vehicles. Hard points determine how many weapons can be placed on a given vehicle.

Armor replaces vehicle hardness. Additionally armor has two descriptors; Weapon immunity and DR.
Weapon immunity indicates which weapons are effective against a given vehicle. This entry scales by armor rank. When weapons actually do damage a vehicle, the Damage Reduction entry determines how much damage reduction applies to any damage the crew/ passengers might suffer.

Vehicle Maneuverability has changed drastically. A vehicle’s standard maneuverability rating now defines how well the vehicle can maneuver in any given situation and can degrade if components which contribute to the vehicle’s maneuverability (such as tires) take damage.

Vehicle initiative bonuses now degrade by -1 each time the vehicle’s maneuverability rating drops.

Stunts are now categorized by vehicle. A penalty to the Vehicles skill check is applied when attempting a stunt not available to a certain vehicle.

Chase rules have been restructured for speed and simplicity, focusing on dramatic resolution rather than an overly complex rule set which bogs down the game. GM’s will be provided with rules to quickly build exciting, cinematic chase scenes for your game.

A vehicle construction system has been implemented, allowing you to design new types of vehicles.

Magic20 is also going to have alot of really fun stuff. Lately I've been inspired by the Supernatural tv series. It's gritty and decidedly_low_magic, which I think fits perfectly into what Charles Rice has in mind. You'll likely see modernized variants on his Legends of Sorcery system. There will be a great deal of focus on rituals, specifically ways to make them easier to use and also ways to make them more applicable to adventuring.

For instance, the time it takes to cast a ritual also translates to the length of time a ritual's effect will be active. So say you do a ritual version of Enhance ability. Instead of lasting a minute/level, it might last an hour per level, or maybe even a day per level, depending on how long it takes to perform the ritual.

We'll also be handling the creating of charms and minor FX items a bit differently. You'll need a perk to be able to create a specific type of item, but that item will have great utility in the game. The more perks you take, the more types of items you'll be able to create.

The types of creatures you'll find are going to be firmly rooted in Folklore and legend. There won't be and Orcs or Ogres in this baby.

Overall I think Vehicles20 and Magic20 are going to be a really fun supplements!

Urizen

First Post
mikelaff said:
Hey David,
Any release date on Magic20?

Not yet. It's still in the planning stages while I work feverishly on Vehicles20. If all goes well I anticipate having it ready by the beginning of December.

Dr. Halflight

First Post
Thanks for the previews David!

I'm super excited about MA20, V20 & Magic20! And citing Supernatural as inspiration is great to hear. Keep up the good work, because you guys have already got my money :)

elrics

Explorer
Vigilance said:
Well, my first impulse was to go with settings that would each contain crunch useful to generic campaigns in general.
Someone on my blog suggested I do toolkits, GURPs style. So, Horror20, Military20 and so forth.
I'm honestly debating that.

Seems to me you could legitimately get two dips from the well with this approach. Start off with Modern20 Psionics (a general toolkit for kewl brain powerz in Modern20), and follow it up with The Hunters, a Modern20 Psionics Campaign Model (complete with campaign background, NPC collection, and minor alterations/expansions to the Modern20 Psionics system that tweak it for the Hunters universe).

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
Mokona said:
D20 Wizards of the Coast already used this approach (D20 Apocalypse, D20 Cyberscape). Which means it should work fine.

Perhaps you could differentiate your products by slicing the toolkits a little more narrowly. Would it work financially to separate cybernetics from VRNet and also from droids? Furthermore, the cybernetics appropriate to Ninjas & Superspies are different than those for Rifts style far-future games.

If I went with the toolkit approach, I'd probably go broader.

If folks are interested in that approach, I'm assuming they'd rather I make the book broad enough so they can do *their* thing with it.

I'd still like to get a few campaign models under my belt, maybe I'll do some mini-campaign models for the Modern Dispatch.

Hmmm.

jezter6

Explorer
Due to the wild unpopularity of d20 Future, I think Future20 needs to get put up faster than Magic20. :)

Don't forget a Gear20 to go with Vechicle20. I need my Blood and Circuits juices for Modern20 as well!

Vigilance

Explorer
jezter6 said:
Due to the wild unpopularity of d20 Future, I think Future20 needs to get put up faster than Magic20. :)

Don't forget a Gear20 to go with Vechicle20. I need my Blood and Circuits juices for Modern20 as well!

Future20 is definitely an interesting idea.

One of my issues in thinking about how we move forward is when is the right time to do that first non-Modern book.

There's a temptation when doing a book like this, that has a lot of nice new mechanics in its foundation, to say "and now here's Future20! and here's Fantasy20!"

Part of the temptation comes from the fact that those books would probably sell really, really well.

Another part of the temptation is, as a designer, I want to show that these rules can do ANYTHING.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right call, at least not right away.

Future is more of a gray area than fantasy, but my gut still tells me a focus on Modern gaming is most important right out of the gate, which is one reason why FX in Modern20 is limited to the optional Magic skill and that's it.

Last edited:

Urizen

First Post
My plan is to cover vehicles of ALL modern / post modern genres, to give you everything you need for vehicles right from the jump.

So yup. You'll see creation rules in there for spaceships.

Remove ads