d20 Modern: What Would you change part II

Salcor

First Post
Chuck,
I do have a question about the Firearms skill, perks, and BAB in general. First in the equipment section it says that a character is proficient with a number of firearms equal to his skill. So does that mean a character with 1 ranks in firearms can only choose one group (handguns, long arms, heavy weapons). And a character with 3 ranks in firearms is proficient with all areas? Also does number of attacks not become interative with level as in in normal D20 (ie at BAB +6, the characters get +6/+1 attacks?) Or is it cumalitive with perks like double tap? Also, when dealing with changing occupations and the perks associated, it a character is playing a soldier, then wants to say progress on to a special operations occupation, do they keep the total number of perk points they had (to include those gained from career advancement), or do they start over with just the 2 perk points? Is this mechanic to simulate a lack of proficiency in that area?

Salcor

Vigilance

Explorer
Salcor said:
Chuck,
I do have a question about the Firearms skill, perks, and BAB in general. First in the equipment section it says that a character is proficient with a number of firearms equal to his skill. So does that mean a character with 1 ranks in firearms can only choose one group (handguns, long arms, heavy weapons). And a character with 3 ranks in firearms is proficient with all areas?

Modern20's weapon proficiency is more akin to old school weapon proficiencies.

If you have three ranks in firearms, you're proficient with three *specific* firearms.

Also does number of attacks not become interative with level as in in normal D20 (ie at BAB +6, the characters get +6/+1 attacks?) Or is it cumalitive with perks like double tap?

Modern20 doesn't use iterative attacks per se. You'll notice that there is only the one base attack listed on the class tables. The tables don't say +6/+1, just +6.

Every 5 levels, a character can make an additional attack as a full attack, regardless of BAB.

So a 6th level character can make 2 attacks as a full attack, the first attack at +0, the second at -5.

However, this only applies to "muscle-powered" weapons, like melee weapons and the bow, not mechanical weapons, like crossbows and firearms.

Firearms and crossbows have a set firing rate, regardless of level.

Any character with a semi-automatic weapon can attack twice per round through double tap, whether 1st or 20th level. The first attack is at -0, the second attack at -5.

The Double Tap perk just makes you better at that.

Similar any fully automatic firearm can be fired 3 or 5 times (attacker's choice- for simplicity all Modern20 characters are considered capable of the three shot burst), with penalties of -5/-10/-15/-20.

The Burst Fire perk doesn't change how many times the weapon can fire, it just helps negate that bonus.

Also, when dealing with changing occupations and the perks associated, it a character is playing a soldier, then wants to say progress on to a special operations occupation, do they keep the total number of perk points they had (to include those gained from career advancement), or do they start over with just the 2 perk points? Is this mechanic to simulate a lack of proficiency in that area?

Salcor

Changing occupations doesn't net you any more perks.

When you change occupations, you have a "grace period" of 30 days during which you keep your old perks. After 30 days, the perks from your old job go away and you can once again select 2 perks.

These could be the same perks, or different perks.

Perks are meant to represent skills you have that others don't because you work with them on your job every day. They're part occupational training, part "I can do this because I'm a professional".

That's why Stars get 4 perks. They're quite literally "star employees".

This is also why the feat for additional perks is called Career Advancement. If you have more than 2 perks you're really good at what you do.

Speaking of changing your perks, the other way to change your perks (besides changing your occupation and waiting 30 days) is to get better at your occupation, simulating a promotion or new opportunity.

You can do this by gaining skill points in one of an occupations three skills, gaining an occupation's improved feat or increasing the number of perks you have.

Hope this helps, these were excellent questions btw.

Chuck

Dr. Halflight

First Post
Chuck,

I'm probably being dense & just missed it, but does a single Perk apply to the whole Skill or do you need multiple Perks per Skill? For example: Do I a) take a Perk in Firearms or b) does that Perk only give me a choice between Burst Fire, Double Tap, or Called Shot for Firearms?

Thanks in advance!

Doc

Vigilance

Explorer
Dr. Halflight said:
Chuck,

I'm probably being dense & just missed it, but does a single Perk apply to the whole Skill or do you need multiple Perks per Skill? For example: Do I a) take a Perk in Firearms or b) does that Perk only give me a choice between Burst Fire, Double Tap, or Called Shot for Firearms?

Thanks in advance!

Doc

It's one perk for each skill use that requires it.

So having Burst Fire, Double Tap and Called Shot would require three perks.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that if you don't have the perk, you can still use the skill for that purpose, your effective ranks are cut in half (this is explained on page 30 of the M20 rules).

A lot of the questions I get are about perks, and its occuring to me that I did a less than adequate job explaining this new mechanic I dropped on folks lol.

I'm looking at the rules now to see where I could possibly explain them better.

Dr. Halflight

First Post
Vigilance said:
A lot of the questions I get are about perks, and its occuring to me that I did a less than adequate job explaining this new mechanic I dropped on folks lol.

I'm looking at the rules now to see where I could possibly explain them better.

First, thanks for the quick reply. Second, Perks as Focused skill uses is how I initially understood the rule, but I was about 80% certain. I'd suggest, if you decide to clarify, doing it under the Perks section of Skills.

Remove ads