• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark*Matter to D20 Modern?

slingbld

Explorer
I am realy interested in converting the Alternity game of Dark*Matter over to the D20 Modern rules set. My players are firm D20/ D20 Modern players & are not interested in learning the Alternity system.

Has anyone done or started a covnersion of these two systems??

evildm

Explorer
As long as you have the Dungeon Mag article, d20 Modern, and the Menace Manual, you've pretty much got Dark Matter right there. What exactly would one need to convert that doesn't already have a published equivalent?

SweeneyTodd

First Post
Here's the Wizards article on how to convert Alternity to D20Modern. That'll get you the remaining bits from D*M that didn't make it into the Menace Manual.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20modern/article/20031007a

There's also a thread somewhere on the first few pages of this forum that links to a fanmade partial conversion of Dark*Matter. IIRC it did everything but the monsters, which are of course already in the Menace Manual. (Edit: found it: http://wingsandsword.home.insightbb.com/darkmatter_to_d20_conversion_project.htm)

Between those two, you should be set.

Also, definately check out the Dark*Matter "Drunk Southern Girls..." Story Hour on the forums here; it's full of some great ideas.

Last edited:

shadowlight

First Post
One thing I'd recommed is dropping the d20 Modern Psi rules and use Green Ronin's Psychic's Handbook rules instead. They're great Psi rules in their own right, but they really have that D*M feel to them.

jezter6

Explorer
slingbld said:
Thanks all!
I plan on getting Dungeon 108 this weekend.
When did it come out anyway? Is it this month's issue?

It's the March 04 issue, so I think it's current. I don't subscribe, but happened to just pick this one up for the D*M stuff.

I never played Dark Matter, but honestly I don't think there's much in Dungeon that really was anything different than what can be found using base modern with a little UA mixed in (more of a shadow chasers type thing), and heavy use of the Menace manual. In all reality, the only thing the issue really gave me was the descriptions of different groups in the setting. There's a little advice on how to DM a paranoid alien visitor setting , but honestly wasn't worth the $7.

Davelozzi

Explorer
jezter6 said:
It's the March 04 issue, so I think it's current. I don't subscribe, but happened to just pick this one up for the D*M stuff.

Yes, # 108 is March '04, but like most magazine publishers, Paizo publishes ahead of schedule. Issue 109 (the April issue) is already out arrived here at my place in Boston last Thursday (2/26).

I've yet to see a D20 Modern Man in Black, not even in the Menace Manual... so if you're working on a Dark * Matter Xenology, that's something to look at.

(The closest thing is a garhayi, but it's not quite the same thing, just like a phthisic is not a tulpa, corrupt or otherwise.)

Remove ads