Dark Sun - 3.5 (Closed)

Voadam

Legend
Pterran looks interesting and supports a psion class well, so a wanderer who felt the need to explore the world as a racial duty after the tumultuous earthquakes.

Or a dwarf psion works well as well. I will think on it.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
DIBS!!!!!!

I love dark sun and am quite familiar with the 2e setting.
I'm very interested to join. I'd like to play a LN Templar/ bard. Son of a minor trading house, working for the King's intelligence organization.

Cheers,

SG

Lot

First Post
Steve Gorak said:
DIBS!!!!!!

I love dark sun and am quite familiar with the 2e setting.
I'm very interested to join. I'd like to play a LN Templar/ bard. Son of a minor trading house, working for the King's intelligence organization.

Cheers,

SG

Sounds good. I'm thinking of starting the campaign aboard a traveling mekillot caravan traveling out of Urik or Tyr. Therefore, people of different walks of life would be traveling together for safety. It also allows for a good blend of character types. I'm trying to avoid drastic railroading but I'd like it to make sense that the PCs would join together as a group. We can work on it.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Dark Sun sounds cool. Right now I'm leaning towards a halfling ranger, maybe with a dip into psion since I've never done anything with psionics before. Or maybe a preserver. I'll think on some ideas and post 'em in a bit.

Azaar

Explorer
Ahh, Dark Sun. Love the setting -- I'd have to, to be playing a 2nd edition campaign with some friends of mine for 2 years now, and them having played most of a year before I joined up.

A few quick questions:

1) How much difference is there between the www.athas.org rules and what Dragon printed up a year or so ago in their magazine? I have both issues where Dragon featured the Dark Sun setting in a conversion to 3.0/3.5 from 2nd edition.

2) Classes: are any from the Complete series acceptable, such as the hexblade, warlock, scout, etc.? Or any from the PHB II? Or does that site have a listing already for all of the acceptable classes and whatnot? I haven't looked at the site yet, but I figured I would ask just in case.

That aside, I'm rather intrigued as well. You can never have too much Athas goodness.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I have a question too!

How much desert vs city action; is this is going to be a mostly wilderness campaign or a city based one? If we're based in the wilderness, I'll likely change my concept to a ranger/rogue close quarter knife fighter (like the freemen in Herbert's Dune series). If it's a city campaign, I'll' stick with my templar/bard concept.

Please let us know, m'kay?
Cheers,

SG

Lot

First Post
I can't say where the campaign will go, but it will start in the wilderness. That being said, it will start on a caravan with plenty of traders, wealthy travelers, and the like, so urban skills, diplomacy, and subtlety would be useful to have even in the beginning. I'm honestly trying to work out the game based on the characters I get, so if I get a lot of rangers and druids, it might have a bit more wilderness. If I get templars and rogues, more urban. I make sure not to punish players for not reading my mind and knowing what I have planned. No matter what you decide to make, I'll make sure your PC has something to do.

Bront

The man with the probe
Azaar said:
1) How much difference is there between the www.athas.org rules and what Dragon printed up a year or so ago in their magazine? I have both issues where Dragon featured the Dark Sun setting in a conversion to 3.0/3.5 from 2nd edition.

2) Classes: are any from the Complete series acceptable, such as the hexblade, warlock, scout, etc.? Or any from the PHB II? Or does that site have a listing already for all of the acceptable classes and whatnot? I haven't looked at the site yet, but I figured I would ask just in case.

That aside, I'm rather intrigued as well. You can never have too much Athas goodness.
1) Very from what I've heard. Technicaly, according to WoTC, they're both Cannon, but not particularly compatable.

2) The PDF only covers core, but Darksun was always particular, and magic was somewhat scarce (at least in what parts of Darksun I remember, from what I hear things changed eventualy). While the GM is the ultimate answer for this question, the only real class I'd say immediately fits from the Complete series would be the Scout (which in all honesty is a better favored class for the Elf than the Rogue). Maybe the Swashbuckler, but doesn't seem to fit. I could see arguements for Spirit Shamen and Wu Jen, but again, that doesn't seem to fit as much. I know Monk and Paladin were specificly left out, and I can't remember if Sorcerer was left in or not.

Lot

First Post
Azaar said:
Ahh, Dark Sun. Love the setting -- I'd have to, to be playing a 2nd edition campaign with some friends of mine for 2 years now, and them having played most of a year before I joined up.

A few quick questions:

1) I actually don't have that issue of Dragon, so I'm not sure. I'm not convinced that the athas.org stuff is perfect, but they appear to have done some serious work on it and I'm willing to give it a try. If you find some serious differences, please bring them to my attention and I'll be happy to figure out the best way to handle it.

2) I don't own any of the Complete series, to be honest, but I do have the PHII. I'd prefer to use the base classes (minus paladin) and the Dark Sun classes. This is not a firm rule, so feel free to present an idea. No harm in that. I want people to play the cool Dark Sun character they never got to play in 2nd Edition but if you can't be happy unless you play that aarakocra hexblade, present a compelling background and I'll consider it.

I'm really hoping to capture the fun of the Dark Sun setting in particular, so the more characters touch on the harshness, the darkness, and the uniqueness of the setting, the happier I'll be. I want you guys to be happy too, so make what you want and I'll try to make it work with what I have in mind.

I want this to be more of a collaboration than I usually see in PbP, so if you make interesting backstories, I'll try to incorporate them. If your characters want to go somewhere, you can go. My only concern is keeping the characters unified as a group but even if that falls apart, we can run in separate groups. It's the nice thing about PbP.

Bront

The man with the probe
I was pondering the backstory. I figure that my character was likely raised as a slave in some other city, and set loose in a gladitorial game, and managed to surive. A kind hearted merchant from Tyr purchased him, and had him help with heavy labor as well as got him training to be a warrior while he was allowed to work off his purchase price at a fair wage as a guard for the merchant. This would probably be his first job as a free being, though likely for the same kind merchant.

That should fit into your backstory Lot. I'll fill in the details a little bit more, I just need a good city name for him to be from, and the merchant's name. That should also draw him in with the other players, who are with the caravan for protection as well. And I can give him a few hooks along the way.

Remove ads