Dark Sun - 3.5 (Closed)

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Wow!! I am on this faster than flies on dung!! :lol: :lol: :] :]
I'm a huge DS fan!! {points to name tag and avatar picture}

Ok, I got two character concepts that I will through out there and depending on the parties layout I'll choose the better of the two. But first, I need to know (if possible) what timelime are we going to play in. Are we playing before, during, or after Tyr's Independence? Is the Dragon Dead or does it still travel from city to city demanding 10,000 souls? What city will we be playing out of? This will largely influence the history both concepts.

As you might have guess I was a big fan of the novels until they began the whole halfling space-ranger thing. Once they did that, the whole thing went to crap.

Concept 1: Mule Gladiator 4 (A squad leader in Rikus's Gladiator army)
Concept 2: Human Templar 5 (Ambassator for the City state Braaj)

-Blood

Bront

The man with the probe
Bloodweaver1 said:
Concept 1: Mule Gladiator 4 (A squad leader in Rikus's Gladiator army)
Concept 2: Human Templar 5 (Ambassator for the City state Braaj)
We're starting at 3rd level

Lot

First Post
I'm planning on having the game take place several years prior to the events of the books. I remember enjoying them, but I prefer the mystery of the sorceror-kings, the enigmatic dragon, the corrupt templars, and the outlawed arcane magic. I prefer the general feel of the first incarnation of Dark Sun.

I'm not 100% sure on any details, but I may have drastically different political and social events occur. This game is still in its infancy, but I think I can get something together very quickly when I see the PCs. Anyway, thanks for the interest and any ideas you give are greatly appreciated.

Bront

The man with the probe
FYI, information on Dark Sun can also be found Here, including the mention of both versions, that they're both official, and not compatable.

Voadam

Legend
Lot said:
I'm planning on having the game take place several years prior to the events of the books. I remember enjoying them, but I prefer the mystery of the sorceror-kings, the enigmatic dragon, the corrupt templars, and the outlawed arcane magic. I prefer the general feel of the first incarnation of Dark Sun.

Excellent. I liked the original Sorcerer King and Dragon set up as well and was surprised the first novel started to knock them off and change the setting elements.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Voadam said:
Excellent. I liked the original Sorcerer King and Dragon set up as well and was surprised the first novel started to knock them off and change the setting elements.
I enjoyed that set-up too. Hmm..still thinking on my character.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
I never read them. Perhaps I should some time.

My Pterran was updated. I'm doing a vacation soon, but I want to at least have him done before I go (or at least enough for you to go on). I'm leaving on Monday, and will be gone a week.

jkason

First Post
If you're still open to characters, I have a concept for a Pterran Druid I'll throw into the ring:

[sblock=Ristu Quaketongue]Pterran children are named for the environmental circumstances surrounding their births, and Ristu Quaketongue is no exception. His egg rocked and cracked open amidst the violent shaking of the ground, as if the Earth Mother herself could feel the hatchling's efforts to break into the world. And as he finally did draw breath free of his egg, the earth once again grew still and silent, so that the only sound in the aftermath was the wailing of the newly-hatched child.

It was little wonder, then, that Quaketongue's lifepath was The path of the Druid. He felt keenly the pains and triumphs of the natural world around him. Little wonder, too, that when he ran across a circle of defilement near to his village last month, Quaketongue set immediately to tracking the scourge.

For more than two weeks he followed. At least once he caught sight of the blight to the Earth Mother, but a sudden sandstorm gave her a means to elude him. After that, the trail became difficult, and eventually impossible to follow, leaving Quaketongue and his companion* alone and frustrated.

One of his attempts to regain the trail brought him close to a passing caravan, in which he noted the presence of another of his kind. He followed surruptitously for a time, making sure the unknown kinsman was not enslaved to the soft mammals he moved with. And when he was reasonably satisfied, he sent a mental query, announcing himself and asking to approach.

While he still hopes to find the defiler he seeks, Quaketongue accepts that the Earth Mother sent her storm for a reason. As the storm diverted him to the caravan, he's chosen to tie his fortunes to them for the time being. He watches and listens and occasionally questions, learning what he can of the strange species gathered on the road, awaiting the next clue or another nudge from the Earth Mother to correct his bearing.

* In keeping with the desert feel, I'm debating a camel or an eagle for animal companion (or, if it's acceptable, I might use eagle stats for a condor). [/sblock]

Let me know if you think it'll fit, and I'll see about statting it up.

Thanks,

jason

Lot

First Post
jkason: Sounds like a good idea. This is occurring prior to the events of the Great Quake, but I'm sure that the area has plenty of seismic instability prior to that to allow your background. Nice incorporation of the other pterran in contention.

Bront: There are several cities that your character could be from and they each have a unique, though always creepy, feel to them. I'll pick a good one when I get home tonight and see if you approve.

As for anyone else interested, we have 2 strong pterran contenders, so I'd prefer that be all pterrans we get. That is unless you all want to be connected, which I would allow. I just think it's a stretch to have too many pterrans of different walks of life in this one caravan, but if they arrived in a group, that would be fine.

Also, I looked at the Dragon magazine Dark Sun rules and they seem fine, but I think I prefer the athas.org rules for this game. I'm not sure of the class/race balance issues of the ruleset, but we can tweak the game as we go if there are problems.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Okay, I'm thinking of a human Psion[Shaper], a young member of a prominent Merchant House who had her way paid through an Academy. Aside from the harsh strictures of the Academy's training, Erianna has had a relatively easy life so far, at least easier than many Athasians. But recently, someone in her own house, perhaps one who felt threatened by the talented young psion, whispered to those above that Erianna had taken away from the house's funds for Academy training without giving anything back in return. And so it was decided that she would accompany a trading caravan as the house's official envoy. She does not relish the task, in fact she is extremely annoyed, not used to life in the harsh desert wastelands outside of her home city-state. Even the thought of sleeping in a tent and getting sand all over her is irksome. Ultimately, she hopes to discover her secret enemy and pay back what is due...if she ever recovers from this defacto near-exile.

Remove ads