• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DC Comics Reboot

Walking Dad

First Post
But maried/ having kids says 'old', while caring for an older relative makes you 'young'. It is all above perceived age and how you keep some characters to their golden/best age in term of 'how old' while showing other grow up (the FF kids).

Funny Fear Itself moment:

The Human Torch dies some issues before, everyone is sad. The Thing dies and Franklin brings him back. Seem he didn't like his real uncle as much...

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
The Human Torch dies some issues before, everyone is sad. The Thing dies and Franklin brings him back. Seem he didn't like his real uncle as much...

It's funny you mention that considering that X-Men characters keep getting pissed about the injuries/deaths they received as a result of their uber-healer having been written out of the books right before Second Coming.

Walking Dad

First Post
I still miss Nightcrawler aka The Good German of Marvel Comics. I still get the villains, but it was nice to have a nice one around... (and he is an Errol Flynn fan)

Welverin

First Post

Difference is that The Thing died right in front of him, Johnny was on the bottom of a scrum on the other side of a closing portal to the negative zone, i.e. they have an easy out when they decide to bring him back, since his alleged death was never shown.

Walking Dad

First Post
You mean he wasn't as emotional affected? As Franklin created a whole universe once, getting someone from another dimension shouldn't be as hard...

But I don't want to argue about comic book logic ;)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Johnny was on the bottom of a scrum on the other side of a closing portal

You go to be kidding me. That's just lazy considering that Cable* "died" last year by having an Alternate-Future Time Portal closing on him.

* EDITORS NOTE: CABLE WILL RETURN THIS DECEMBER IN CABLE: REBORN!

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I bought Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #1, and Justice League International #1 this week.

Of the three, I have to say that the JLI comic is my favorite. It was very interesting. IMO, DC1 was better than AC1. But, I'm biased towards Batman over Superman.

I might still get one or two others from this week... Hawk and Dove, maybe. Or Men of War.

For Sept. 14, I'm definitely getting Grifter and Suicide Squad. Maybe Legion Lost. Also, Resurrection Man was recommended to me.

Walking Dad

First Post
I usually favor teams over single heroes (Stormwatch, JLI). But I also like Swampthing. It is nice to see the things kept from the 'old' universe.

I picked up Animal Man, Batgirl, Justice League International, Action Comics, and Stormwatch out of the new titles this week.

I liked Action Comics, as Superman isn't Godlike yet and it was a fresh take on him. I normally wouldn't read anything about Superman if it wasn't for Grant Morrison, but even without him writing it would still be good one.

Batgirl, after reading titles like Birds of Prey and Secret Six written by the same writer before the reboot, I was already interested. While it was vague on how Barbara Gordon isn't paralyzed anymore, it's mainly about how she was struggling to her past injury. I'll give this one a read as Gail Simone certainly knows Barbara the best.

Justice League International was alright, but wasn't as good as the other ones I picked up. Many of the characters are too stereotyped, even if it's a source of minor comic relief with basically Rocket Red and August General in Iron arguing, "Russia is so great!" and "No, China is awesome!"

Animal Man I felt was the best one this week, it was mainly about Bubby Baker as a family man with no focus being a part-time superhero/actor/activist who discovers that his daughter might be something quite horrific. It was a personal story, which was in contrast to some of the bigger titles this week. What stands out were those Hunters, which is linked to some coming threat to the DCU, who were quite freaky such as that one with insect legs, lamprey mouth and a vagina on the neck.

Stormwatch is another favourite of mine, while some have unfairly tried to match it up against the previous Ellis run, I felt it was a good issue even if it may have had some awkward introductory expositional dialog. Some people would notably be disappointed that it is a complete reboot of everything that happened in the Wildstorm title. What's intriguing is that it reveals Stormwatch is a shadowy Torchwood like organization which is linked to another title Demon Knights which is coming up later, and apparently it's leaders are undead. It's full of strange ideas, and while it's mostly the Authority with Hawksmoor, Apollo, Midnighter, Jenny Quantum and the Engineer, it does take a little from other Wildstorm titles. I felt that the Projectionist may have been another version of the Drummer from Planetary and Martian Manhunter almost seems to be a replacement for Jackson King of the pre-Authority Stormwatch. Again the threat in this one seems to be linked to an oncoming threat to the DCU.

In case who haven't noticed, every one of the 52 issues has a cameo appearance of that mystery hooded woman who appeared in Flashpoint #5, saying that Flash should merge the timelines together. I was able to spot her in all the issues I got this week without help, except for Batgirl where she's obscured by bright light.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
I'm not sure how long I'll continue reading the "relaunch" stuff, but at this point I picked up...

Action Comics #1
Green Arrow #1
Swamp Thing #1
Static Shock #1

In the coming weeks, I'm looknig forward to:
Red Lanterns (I'm passing on the Green Lantern stuff, since there's too many titles, but I'll give the Red one a try!!)
Catwoman (WAY too long since they've had a Catwoman title out!!)
Superboy (I'm a completist; I have every issue printed in all the series since his first (modern) appearnce in "Return of SUperman".)

Remove ads