D&D 4E DCC 4e Covers

Pinotage said:
Thankfully glut is entirely optional. :D

Pinotage
What? I thought everyone was Core now, and if I didn't buy a all the shiny books from WotC, I would no longer be allowed to play D&D! ;)

I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect if they pull all the d20 STL versions and rebrand under the GSL, it may be.
That might be what they will do. They still have the original copyrights to the products, if I am not mistaken (I assume they didn't acquire licenses to recreate "classic" adventures - I am not familiar with their series). So they can ignore OGL or d20 STL requirements and re-use their products. I just wonder how complicated it actually will be to adapt the adventures for 4E (different assumptions on enemy group size and stuff ;) ). But well, that's not my head to rack for. ;)

But I'd like to note I'd prefer if they would come up with 3 adventures of different starting levels...

Brown Jenkin

First Post
There are alot of people who can do good adventures. One of the reasons I bought from Goodman was I liked the 1e look and feel. Without that I probably won't buy everything they produce anymore, instead limiting them to how they compare to everyone else.

Shroomy

Adventurer
BTW, Lisa Stevens, CEO of Paizo said that Joseph Goodman told her that the Goodman Game's flyer stating that there would be .pdf conversions was printed before the GSL announcement, so I do not know if they are valid anymore.

Voadam

Legend
phil500 said:
I am curious: are these actual "classics" or new adventures?

how is the quality of the series overall?

New adventures.

Their 3e ones were all new adventures done in old 1e/basic D&D style including artwork and maps, including getting Erol Otus to do a bunch of covers for them.

There were some that had separate versions in both 3e and 1e style Castle and Crusades.

Voadam

Legend
phil500 said:
how is the quality of the series overall?

I like them, they have ones of differing lengths and levels in a variety of settings and I have found them interesting and easily adaptable to my (nonstandard) games.

Voadam

Legend
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
That might be what they will do. They still have the original copyrights to the products, if I am not mistaken (I assume they didn't acquire licenses to recreate "classic" adventures - I am not familiar with their series). So they can ignore OGL or d20 STL requirements and re-use their products. I just wonder how complicated it actually will be to adapt the adventures for 4E (different assumptions on enemy group size and stuff ;) ). But well, that's not my head to rack for. ;)

They did a few that look like licenses, there are some Judges Guild ones updated to 3e that might or might not have been in the DCC line, (I don't remember off the top of my head). They have a Freeport module written by a Green Ronin staffer that is in the DCC line. Freeport from the original modules was 100% OGC so Goodman may have rights to Freeport stuff when using the OGL but not under the GSL.

Goodman converted a few of their 3e DCCs to 1e style (I think it was Castles and Crusades but it might have been OSRIC) so they have some experience redoing their modules, but I expect it to be a bunch of work. We'll see what happens.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Scribble said:
Long as they don't try to achieve the same effect the 2nd edition adventures had... oye.

On this we all agree.

As for conversions: my understanding is that WotC wants conversion of 3E material to 4E. But once you convert, you can't sell both.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
The lay-out and the art on the covers looks great -- except for the header. The DCC logo is messy and doesn't really evoke any kind of "Dungeons & Dragons" feeling.

Hopefully, it isn't too late for them to change this part of the design.

As for looking toward a 2e feel instead of a 1e feel -- it seems like the smart thing to do with 4e adventures, since 4e is evoking a 2e retro feel overall anyway.

Goodman puts out cool adventures, so this is great news for 4e players.

Remove ads