D&D 4E DCC 4e Covers

Pinotage

Explorer
Voadam said:
They did a few that look like licenses, there are some Judges Guild ones updated to 3e that might or might not have been in the DCC line, (I don't remember off the top of my head).

Goodman converted a few of their 3e DCCs to 1e style (I think it was Castles and Crusades but it might have been OSRIC) so they have some experience redoing their modules, but I expect it to be a bunch of work. We'll see what happens.

The Judges Guild ones were a separate line. They only did 3. Also, they used OSRIC for their 1e ones. There were only a few of those as well - I'm thinking less than 3.

Pinotage

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I prefer the 1E look and feel, but I'm very excited about 4E DCCs. I'm already planning on using their Free RPG Day supplement in my current campaign, when the characters next hit the road.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
phil500 said:
I am curious: are these actual "classics" or new adventures?
The Dungeon Crawl Classics line consists of new adventures, so they aren't "classics" in the sense that they were adventures from the heyday of OD&D or AD&D 1e. The artwork, authorial voice, and overall layout hearken back the early days of D&D. When 4e comes out, the DCCs will be getting an art upgrade, but I suspect the contents will remain full of traditional dungeon-crawling goodness.

how is the quality of the series overall?
The quality is very good, IMO. These adventures have lots of puzzles, combats, and secrets. In addition, most of them have a twist (or several) that makes things even more interesting. They are pretty low on roleplay interaction, but it's easy enough to add it in IMO. IMO the most notable DCCs are:

DCC 1: Idylls of the Rat King (the first one)
DCC 2: Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho (written by mearls, lots of Far Realm goodness)
DCC 13: Crypt of the Devil-lich (the Tomb of Horrors done right)
DCC 17: Legacy of the Savage Kings (nice sword and sorcery vibe IMO)
DCC 28: Into the Wilds (a cool intro adventure with bat-riding goblins, among other things :))
DCC 35: Gazetteer of the Known Realms (a campaign setting based on the DCCs - it fits in well with the 4e "points of light" setting philosophy)
DCC 50: Vault of the Iron Overlord (this has a really neat rotating dungeon)
DCC 51: Castle Whiterock (a massive dungeon crawling epic)

Scribble

First Post
TerraDave said:
On this we all agree.

As for conversions: my understanding is that WotC wants conversion of 3E material to 4E. But once you convert, you can't sell both.

yesss..... give in to the power of the D4rk Side... :D

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I prefer the 1E look and feel, but I'm very excited about 4E DCCs. I'm already planning on using their Free RPG Day supplement in my current campaign, when the characters next hit the road.
It seems like they'll be making a trek to Punjar, then ...

Goodman Games and Free RPG Day

June 21, 2008

FRD-banner08_150.JPG

Goodman Games is pleased to announce its sponsorship of Free RPG Day 2008! This year we're giving away a mini-gazetteer that showcases the new 4E look for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

What do you have to do to get one of these free modules? Simply show up! Visit your local game store on June 21 to take advantage of this great event. You can find a list of participating retailers at www.freeRPGday.com.

Here's what we're giving away. This is your first chance to learn about the 4E look for Dungeon Crawl Classics, and find out why Punjar is so important!

GMG-FRPGDay08-CoverLarge.jpg

Punjar: The Tarnished Jewel

Punjar...

Throughout the Known World, no city is half so notorious. Blackened by fire, soiled by pestilence, and scarred by war, its sandy collection of spiderwebbed tenements and rat-ridden bazaars have birthed some of the worst rogues and villains to ever stalk the storied thrones of the north.

But Punjar is also a city of chance and adventure, where fortunes are won in a night and lost before dawn. Where gems glint and flare in the lamplight, the might of magic knows no bounds, and a warrior's quick blade and shirt of mail are his best defense.

So loosen your sword, keep a hand on your coin pouch, and take these first steps into its shadowy, torch-lit streets. A black mist is rolling in off the salt marsh, and the ancient city beckons...

Welcome to Punjar, The Tarnished Jewel!

Remove ads