Defiance - Syfy

Elodan

Adventurer
Didn't see a thread on this.

Finally watched the 2-hour premiere via DVR last night. Somewhat predictable but I thought the characters and concepts of the show were pretty interesting. I think we only saw 6 of the possible 8 alien species that landed 33 years earlier.

Added as a series recording.

Derren

Hero
I give it 2 seasons tops.
Sadly real Science Fiction series are dead. Too expensive and a too small target group. Instead we get more and more "relationship dramas" in every setting possible (including science fiction like here) which is at best only paid lip service to.

I never thought I would say this, but Disney is now the best hope for SciFi.

Ahnehnois

First Post
It was certainly a mix of tropes and things we've seen before, but I thought it was smoothly executed. As pilots go, I thought it watchable. It has potential. Much better than the other stuff that channel puts out.

I hadn't heard of most of the cast, but generally liked them. I thought the aliens were well executed and interesting and the mythology of the show had potential. That said, I watched it mainly because Bear McCreary composed music for it, but I note that Rockne O'Bannon from Farscape is in charge of things. He knows how to keep things moving and how to make sci-fi emotionally resonant. For that reason I'm hoping for it to go somewhere.

Given how much SyFy is invested in this I have to think they'll give it every chance at renewal. I suspect the associated game (which I don't care much about one way or the other) will have a lot to do with how it turns out, for better or for worse.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Sadly real Science Fiction series are dead. Too expensive and a too small target group. Instead we get more and more "relationship dramas" in every setting possible (including science fiction like here) which is at best only paid lip service to.

I never thought I would say this, but Disney is now the best hope for SciFi.
While I don't really disagree with you, I do hold out some hope for the future. After all, expensive niche dramas are all over cable these days. Given that HBO took the plunge into fantasy (real fantasy) with GoT and AMC is doing a comic book horror series with Walking Dead, I think that eventually some really good science fiction show will catch on in a similar manner. Modern TV, with all its many channels and pay structures, supports expensive small-niche TV much better than it used to.

Derren

Hero
While I don't really disagree with you, I do hold out some hope for the future. After all, expensive niche dramas are all over cable these days. Given that HBO took the plunge into fantasy (real fantasy) with GoT and AMC is doing a comic book horror series with Walking Dead, I think that eventually some really good science fiction show will catch on in a similar manner. Modern TV, with all its many channels and pay structures, supports expensive small-niche TV much better than it used to.

The problem is good sci fi is expensive and unless it draws a lot of viewers there are more profitable settings.

Ahnehnois

First Post
The problem is good sci fi is expensive and unless it draws a lot of viewers there are more profitable settings.
I don't think cost is really the issue. There are plenty of expensive shows that get made, and cgi has really advanced and is getting cheaper. I don't think a lot of good sci-fi pitches are being made, and I don't think execs are looking for sci-fi. I suspect there will be another turn of the cultural wheel and sci-fi will be back again soon.

The Defiance pilot really felt more like watching a video game than a TV show. And the second episode was very contrived, but I can see the potential for it to grow into something better.

However, the reason that I will not be watching Defiance any more is because of the horrible misuse of "Come As You Are" by Nirvana at the end of the episode. Sorry, Defiance, but that's a major faux pas you don't get to come back from.

darjr

I crit!
I really liked the first episode. And I thought the second was better.

And I really liked the "Come as you are" variant.

Huh...

Anyway I like how they've taken cliche's and kinda broke them. I can't wait to see where it goes.

LeStew

Explorer
Has anyone played the game yet? I liked the first two episodes but am worried I'm missing something because I am not playing the MMO.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I understand the idea behind having the game run alongside the series - it is an interesting concept there. But, I have to admit that it seems a disincentive for me, as I have no plans to get involved in a game - if the game is really a cool part of the story, then I'm missing a goodly chunk of the world by not playing.

Remove ads