• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Demonomicon - after the big 14?

Who should be the subject of a Demonomicon article after the "big 14" are finished?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
My only profit is finding out which issue of Dragon will have Orcus in it. And he'd better get a cover art for it. :p

Hussar

Legend
Ok, I struck out on that Hagaanti (sp) thing. Don't know my demons worth spit anyway. How about Astaroth? That one got the vestige treatment on the WOTC site as an enhancement for Cityscape. Is that a different guy?

Shemeska

Adventurer
Hussar said:
Ok, I struck out on that Hagaanti (sp) thing. Don't know my demons worth spit anyway. How about Astaroth? That one got the vestige treatment on the WOTC site as an enhancement for Cityscape. Is that a different guy?

Yeah, the vestige Astaroth shares a name with a completely different demonic Astaroth (who in turn shares a name with a diabolic Astaroth).

Sometimes obscure beings with obscure references cause creative hiccups that make for interesting additions to canon (be it interesting in a cool way or in the chinese curse way I'll leave up to everyone to decide based on if they think the additions are cool enough despite the name confusion during the creation process). :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
yep, the Tome of Magic re-used a lot of names of demons and devils that way. :) as far as i know, only Geryon was actually the same being as a pre-existing character.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Having just re-read Yeenoghu's Realm in FC1, I find it highly unlikely that Bechard will get the treatment, what with being reduced to something akin to a rotting beached whale. :lol:

sckeener

First Post
Here's the current top 10 with two groups of ties....one for 6th, 7th, & 8th and another one for 10th.

• Miska the Wolf-Spider 92 40.35%
  • Queen of Chaos 91 39.91%
  • Astaroth 52 22.81%
  • Abraxas 49 21.49%
  • Azazel 39 17.11%
  • Adimarchus 29 12.72%
  • Eltab 29 12.72%
  • Kerzit 29 12.72%
  • Socothbenoth 27 11.84%
  • Ereshkigal 25 10.96%
  • Nergel 25 10.96%
  • Xazivort 25 10.96%

I can see why the top two are in the top 10. I think everyone wants more on the legends. However I hope they never do make full demonomicon articles for them. I'd prefer allusions and brief mentions to those two.

For the rest...why do you think they are in the top 10?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm guessing Adimarchus and Eltab are in there do to already having 3E appearances, and thus familiarity.

Kerzit I'm guessing for his appearance in Maure Castle. I hope he doesn't get a Demonomicon treatment, though, as he isn't really a demon lord.

Socothbenoth has gotten some decent lib service in Fiendish Codex 1 and other Demonomicons, so the allure is there. I'd put that one near the top of my list.

As for the others, I'm not sure. I suppose it has to do with real-world mythology for many of them.

I would've expected Lamashtu and Lynkhab to rank higher than many of the others, due to their frequent name-dropping.

sckeener

First Post
Shade said:
Having just re-read Yeenoghu's Realm in FC1, I find it highly unlikely that Bechard will get the treatment, what with being reduced to something akin to a rotting beached whale. :lol:

I'd think it would be easier to write about him...wouldn't it be akin to an eulogy?

(kidding)

though it would be interesting...what happens to all those Thrall to Demon feats when your patron is so weak or changed? I mean he went from the Demon Lord of Tempests before Yeenoghu and Azael to Bechard, the Rotting Husk, demon lord of Decomposition and obsolescence...

I'd assume the feats would continue to work. I wonder what kind of prestige classes the minions of Bechard had....if any more can be created...and are they prestige classes based on the rotting husk or the Lord of tempests....as an obyrith I doubt he had many mortal followers as Lord of tempests

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
sckeener said:
Here's the current top 10 with two groups of ties....one for 6th, 7th, & 8th and another one for 10th.

• Miska the Wolf-Spider 92 40.35%
  • Queen of Chaos 91 39.91%
  • Astaroth 52 22.81%
  • Abraxas 49 21.49%
  • Azazel 39 17.11%
  • Adimarchus 29 12.72%
  • Eltab 29 12.72%
  • Kerzit 29 12.72%
  • Socothbenoth 27 11.84%
  • Ereshkigal 25 10.96%
  • Nergel 25 10.96%
  • Xazivort 25 10.96%

I can see why the top two are in the top 10. I think everyone wants more on the legends. However I hope they never do make full demonomicon articles for them. I'd prefer allusions and brief mentions to those two.

For the rest...why do you think they are in the top 10?

interesting! i was going to do this sooner or later, but thanks. ;) Xazivort is on there almost certainly due to him being confused with Raxivort... all the more reason to do nothing with him at all. :)

and being so above and beyond the rest of the crowd, i'd say it's almost imperative to do something on the Queen and/or Miska sooner or later!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads