• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Demonomicon - after the big 14?

Who should be the subject of a Demonomicon article after the "big 14" are finished?

Shemeska

Adventurer
Alzrius said:
I'll mention that Nergel and Ereshkigal shouldn't really be there either. While both got their names mentioned in the 1E MM2, that's it (Nergel being mentioned in the Gord books as a "prince of unlife" notwithstanding).

Both have since been pretty thoroughly retconned as Babylonian deities (which I think is more appropriate), the most recent appearance of which had them in Dragon #329.

I'll agree on that one, especially for Nergal. We've got an exiled archdevil on Avernus named Nergal and a Babylonian god on the Gray Waste by the same name. A bit much if we add an Abyssal Lord as well.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
And people think I'm odd for supporting Orcus... ;) Good on Erik. ;)

*agrees that Nergal doesn't need demonic status*

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Ripzerai said:
There's a bit of ambiguity going on with regards to Green Ronin's Book of Fiends, wherein Erik Mona described many of these "nothing-but-a-name" lords pretty thoroughly. The brief descriptions of their D&D equivalents are deliberately pretty compatible with those (for example, Haagenti is lord of alchemy in both D&D and Green Ronin's cosmology). At the same time, because of IP considerations they're not the same lords, and Paizo could certainly publish contradictory descriptions of them if it wanted. The only thing is, considering the author I doubt they'd want to, and considering the IP issues it seems likely they'll avoid them altogether for the foreseeable future.

Actually, one of the things I've sort of been doing in the Demonomicon articles (and Fiendish Codex, for that matter) is to avoid the material in Green Ronin's Book of Fiends, so that all of the stuff in there can pretty much fit right in alongside of the Demonomicon and Fiendish Codex. Cause as it turns out, Erik and my taste in things demonic is disturbingly similar.

In other words, I don't intend on doing anything with the Demonomicon that contradicts anything in Book of Fiends.

Ripzerai

Explorer
James Jacobs said:
Actually, one of the things I've sort of been doing in the Demonomicon articles (and Fiendish Codex, for that matter) is to avoid the material in Green Ronin's Book of Fiends, so that all of the stuff in there can pretty much fit right in alongside of the Demonomicon and Fiendish Codex.

So... I guessed right, then? There probably won't be any full articles on Abraxas, Haagenti, Socothbenoth, Nocticula, or the others described in that other book?

ericlboyd said:
I urge to you quickly retract any statement challenging the magnificence of Ahazu.

You've been warned ... :mad:

--Eric

Yeep! Consider it retracted.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Ripzerai said:
So... I guessed right, then? There probably won't be any full articles on Abraxas, Haagenti, Socothbenoth, Nocticula, or the others described in that other book?

Correct. They'll get name dropped now and then, though. I name dropped Socothbenoth in the Malcanthet article, for example, and he shows up again as a name drop in "Into the Maw" (part 9 of Savage Tide).

NiTessine

Explorer
Shemeska said:
I'll agree on that one, especially for Nergal. We've got an exiled archdevil on Avernus named Nergal and a Babylonian god on the Gray Waste by the same name. A bit much if we add an Abyssal Lord as well.
Aren't they both dead now, though? I seem to recall the archdevil being offed during Elminster in Hell and the Babylonian god (or Untheric, in this case) being reported KIA during the Orcgate Wars in Powers & Pantheons.

Didn't Marduk have a similar problem, too?

Remove ads