Diaglo's Latest Debaucle - Rogue's Run

diaglo

Adventurer
"Thank you, Omar," Khalil sighed. "I don't think I will ever get over being a long furry rodent."

"Weasels are not rodents," Kem corrected.

Kem inserted the last key. And Poof.... Zyff was no longer Zyff...

"Well done," Lady Blue spoke.

"I knew it," Solafien blurted. "Never trust those Face Dancers."

"You are free to go," Lady Blue continued. "However, some items you may not keep." With a wave of her hand the Rogues' Run dissolved. The party now stood in a luxurious room. Sacks full of coins and the items they could keep were neatly stacked to one side. "I've taken the Circles cut towards your debts already. The rest is yours."

"Now what?" Khalil asked.

"Well the Circle always has more work for such a worthy group," Lady Blue smiled.

diaglo

Adventurer
Lady Blue instructed the group of their next assignment. A trip to The Moonsea. For this journey the party inquired about items, provisions, and magic. All of which Lady Blue was more than happy to sell them.

Omar worried over some notes, scrolls, and books on language, culture, and climate of the region.

While Khalil and Kem made some trips to the market to acquire other things.

diaglo

Adventurer
update to follow after this Sunday's session.

Ruen may or may not be there. his player has been very busy at work and missed the previous 2 sessions.

and Sargazzo will be in a less active role. his player is celebrating with his wife/ Mother of his kids. and his youngest's birfday.

and a new NPC will be joining the party as a contact/aid.

travel to the Moonsea is still up in the air. ;)

biorph

First Post
Every Ending is a New Beginning

*author's note* - At Diaglo's request due to the secretive nature of his character, I will be taking over the story hour until further notice. I hope you all enjoy my writing as much as his.

The weeks since the end of the trial flew by. Before Kem knew it Yazzar the circle’s main enchanter contacted him to tell him the items he has requested were had been crafted. Kem had taken his share of the loot to ‘in-vest’ in some further protection. His vest now made him more nimble at dodging danger than ever before. He also scraped up enough money to get a ring that would help protect him from blows. But the strangest thing of all was his staff.

It had started idly enough just shaving off a splinter here, polishing the wood there, but he could almost swear that there was something in it. Like a trapped form just asking to get out. Before he knew what he was doing he found himself whittling at the staff. By the time he was done there was a large grinning weasel clearly emblazoned on the side. There were some other things that looked like the start of runes in the side but he couldn’t quite get the picture of those clear in his mind yet. It was like Omar once said about his songs, the words and the tune are there around you all the time, you just need to use your skill and insight to set them give them form and shape. Kem wondered if the same was true of his staff, and he was merely giving form and shape to something already there.

They met on the prearranged date two weeks after the end of the trial. Kem, Omar, Sargazzo, Khalil, and Solafien…but where was Ruen. Sargazzo told the group through Omar that Ruen had been reassigned and might catch up if he could. The time off had obviously been good for everybody. Kem noticed lots of new toys and knick-knacks among the party members, Kem thought such swag was a bit silly, but then to each his own. Khalil had even gotten his old knapsack lined with the fur of some dead animal. ‘How…quaint?’ thought Kem to himself. “What is that dead alley cat?”

Omar’s master was the one giving them their new assignments this time. “Your contact’s name is ‘Digger’” he began without ceremony. “He is expecting you in at least two months time. This” he said bringing out a small crystal ball “will help you locate him. Once you have found him destroy it, it can find him anywhere he may be and such an item is best kept around only for as long as it is absolutely needed.” As the group gazed into the ball they saw an image of digger. A halfling of some sort, as they watched a large wolverine with slavering jaws came into view and began licking his face like a friendly puppy. “You will be headed to the Dalelands on the other side of the continent.” continued Omar’s master “The climate is far different from Calimsport so I suggest you dress appropriately when you get there. Some of you have other…duties…to perform along the way” he said looking meaningfully at Solafien ”So I suggest you take that into account when planning your route.”

“And now for you Omar my boy, a special present” said the master pulling out a rune covered box “It’s a very old tool of ours, so use it well, it means much that we entrust this to you.” Inside the box was a very finely crafted lute. The wood looked to be old, but the strings and frets and knobs all brand new. “It contains things many would find useful, and it contains many secrets even I do not know, but I will show you this for free.” With that the master touched one of the frets and a bayonet projected out the bottom of the lute. Then another touch the bayonet retracted. “The rest you must figure out on your own.”

Kem looked around, Kahlil still had his shortsword and Sargazzo his great one. Solafien had his intelligent rod that transformed itself into any weapon he could think of the now Omar this amazing now lute. “Gee” thought Kem jealously to himself “None of MY weapons are specially crafted hundreds of years ago or named or intelligent.” But then another smug thought occurred to him. “I guess that’s what the circle gives to those people who NEED those kind of crutches to do decent work.”

Omar’s master dismissed them and the party set out on its way. Their first stop was the cartographer to see the best route by which to get there. ‘WAIT A MINUTE!’ Thought Kem as they traveled ‘Omar uses a penny whistle, does he even know HOW to play a lute?’

biorph

First Post
Travel Plans and Bait Shopping

In the cartographer’s shop the party poured over the map. The fastest way was clearly by boat up to the Moonsea Ride, but they doubted that a single ship would be willing to go all the way there and take the detours Solafien’s contracts would require.

“Still” finished Omar “There’s no harm in at least checking with some of the local shippers. Maybe we can gte a recommendation from someone in our ‘circle’ or friends.”

“Yes” said Solafien with a sly grin “I think I might know someone who knows someone else”

The next day Omar and Solafien sent word that they had found two prospects and would meet with them and let us know of the results tomorrow evening.

“We’ve found a ship that will grant us passage for half a gold per day.” Began Omar.

“And another who thinks it’s okay to try to gouge guild members” finished Solafien. “Say Khalil, would you be interested in making 50 gold?”

“How” said Khalil “What do you want me to do? Is it illegal? Will it get someone hurt?”

“Relax” said Solafien “All I want you to do is deliver this box to the big half orc guard guarding the address of a building I give you, and that’s it.”

“Reeeeeeeeally” said Kahlil “What’sinthebox?What’sitworth?Isitworthmorethan50gold?Whendoesithavetobethere?Whydoyouwantmetodeliverit?Whatsinside?Whatdoesit-“

“KEM!” Solafien interrupted “Hey, you know any street urchins who’d be willing to deliver a package for me, NO QUESTIONS ASKED?” said Solafien looking meaningfully at Khalil

“Sure,” said Kem, taking the box from Khalil “Come with me.” As they walked to a nearby alley he continued “That’s why my faction is used as messengers, Those like Khalil tend to be too inquisitive to let such things be delivered…intact.”

Kem and Solafien stepped into an alleyway and Kem let out a series of loud sharp whistles. In a few seconds a six year old boy stepped out of the shadows. “Bait” said Kem “We have a package for you to deliver”.

“The kid’s name is Bait?” asked Solafien

“No, that’s his title, at his age we use him to distract the town guards while we get the real work done” said Kem. “Guard bait, trap bait, jail bait, prison bait, a while ago we just shortened the title to call all the new initiates Bait.”

Solafien looked amused at the concept and said “Gee boy, you sure got a purty little mou-“

“LET’S save the mental scarring of the initiates to the professionsals shall we please” Kem interrupted, rolling his eyes as he spoke.

“Oh learn to take a joke would you” said Solafien “Take this box to the address and give it to the biggest guard on duty. Hurry back and I’ll give you a shiny gold coin”

The child took the box and ran away, unsure what to make of Solafien, but eager to be away from him.

“I swear” said Kem “You’re absolutely incorrigible.”

The half-drow gave his best look of total innocence. He failed miserably.

biorph

First Post
The Desert Sahns

They had a few days to spend getting into trouble before the ship left. Of course what better way to get in trouble than work a crowd. It was a standard dazzle and grab, Kem attracted a crowd with some acrobatics while Khalil worked the crowd. At the end of a few days Kem had enough to pay for the voyage. Under the pretesne of the paying in advance Kem made an appointment to speak with the illustrious lady Sahn, head of the shipping firm. Kem had some interest in perhaps spending his time on the ship working as a sailor.

It was obvious that Lady Sahn had quite a lucrative business, for dockside accommodations were not offices so much as they were a palace. Kem was shown through three heavily guarded sets of doors to the private office of lady Sahn. The office had a comfortable yet professional feel. The walls were hung with tapestries depicting scenes he had never heard of from lands he had never seen. The floors were swept and the rugs felt soft under Kem's bare feet, having left his slippers at the first set of doors to avoid any dragging in any dust from the street. Kem would have said it was all so perfect to be suspicous were it not for the desk.

The desk was the one foothold that entropy had managed to gain and keep. It was piled high with a confused collection of papers. Bills, invoices, personal correspondence, it all was one big jumbled pile on the top of lady Sahn's desk. It wasn't until she stood up that Kem could actually see lady Sahn herself over the pile.

Lady Sahn was surprisingly tall, taller even than any half-orc he had ever seen. Rumors said her parents were at least Jann if not Djinni or Efreeti. She had a cold professional look that stated in quite clear terms that she brooked no nonsense.

"How can I help you today Master acrobat?" she began

"I came to ask about the ship we'll be traveling on. I've always been interested in the sailor's craft and been a dab hand at knots, Would you perhaps be willing to allow me to assist the sailors of your vessel, just to learn the craft as it were."

"While I appreciate the offer, I'm afraid that required enough time and effort on my part training you and so forth is enough that unless you apprenticed yourself to me I would be losing out on the deal." she said "And I think you have enough...masters...calling upon your time already. However I may have some...other...work for you to do on this voyage. I will let you know if I require your services. Is there anything else?"

"No, I just wished to drop off the payment for the voyage in advance. I've taken up enough of your time. Tell me though, one last thing, did my friends say who was going to pay for the passengers?" Kem asked

"It was specified actually." she replied "I assumed each of you is going to pay your own way."

"Riiiight" said Kem "Well thank you for your time I must be hurrying along." Solafien had told Khalil that they had signed up Khalil to pay for the voyage all by himself. It was the reason the little thief had been working his fingers to the bone stealing. Kem should tell the little pickpocket...eventually. Well...maybe, after the next really big haul... or two.

biorph

First Post
What Part of the Pig are These From?

The day of departure had finally arrived. Kem didn't know about the others but it was his first time out of Kalimsport let alone Kalimsham. The captain, Lady Sahn herself, greeted them as they went aboard, though, Omar looked at her strangely. Kem noticed in the bright sunlight that she had ears that were...different. They were longer than an elf's ears and strangely shaped.

As they were shown to their rooms they were in for a rather big surprise. Someone had taken all the beds out of their cabins, there were just a bunch of fishing nets in the rooms. Solafien became indignant. "Where are the beds? Is this some kind of joke? This is how she treats US?" "Hold Solafien" said Omar "I've heard of these. Feather beds don't travel well on ships, so most people use these net things. I think they're called Ham-Hocks." Omar demonstrated by attempting to get in one. He almost fell out a couple of time but managed to maintain his balance in the net-swing thing.

Omar was right, it took some of them a few tries but they all managed to be secure in the 'beds' in their rooms. Sargazzo seemed a bit worried that his might break when he got in it, but sure enough the ropes held. The rest of the voyage was fairly uneventful, though sea sickness struck everyone but Kem. All that time on swaying wires was proving useful in more ways than one.

Their first stop was city west of Kalimsport for refueling and preparation for the voyage. Omar said something about magical importance and mages, but it was of little interest to Kem. They were only staying for a day or two, so Kem didn't bother filling his mind with useless facts about someplace he'd never return to.

As they landed Kem heard a knock on his room. In a flash the door was open and a very surprised looking Solafien was staring down the business end of Kem's quarterstaff. "Sorry about that" Kem apologized, "I'm still nervous being in a new city. What can I do you for" asked Kem lowering his staff "Several hundred gold" replied the assassin "I want you to help me sneak in to a house in the city, I've got a...target. He's an ex gold taker who's been selling secrets, and I've been asked to silence him...permanently. You're the only one in our group...aside from myself of course who can sneak into the compound without being seen. I've already tried the...direct approach, but was unsuccessful. You will or course be compensated for your work" and with that he threw Kem a small bag of platinum. 'I wonder how much they're really paying you' he thought silently to himself "Very well" said Kem aloud "When do we leave?" "Tonight, and be on your guard, they're expecting us." said the assassin and left Kem to count his newfound wealth.

biorph

First Post
Guards! Guards!

"It's just a ten foot stone wall what do you mean you can't climb it?" queried Kem in a whisper.

"Well, I'm more of an infiltrator, I'm not big on the smash and grab like you" whispered Solafien in reply.

"Then why didn't you sneak in with the servants?" Asked the weasel.

"Because we only have one night to get this done. and I didn't have the time I'd like to study the place." whispered the assassin in reply. "I'd stick out like a sore thumb if I tried that without preparation." Tempers were quickly becoming frayed.

The two were standing in the shadows of the back part of the wall around the house. Kem had just climbed up to see the situation of the patrols and it looked like there was a gap they could use if they moved quickly. He hadn't anticipated this little snag however. He felt the beginnings of a stress headache and he had the feeling the cause was standing to his right. Thinking back to his training the began to furiously and quickly reknot the rope. Soon almost all of the fifty feet of rope was consumed in what was known in thye weasels as the baby ladder. It was essentially a very elaborate rope ladder using only one rope. The weasels made these for other guild who didn't want to put the effort into learning how to climb properly, usually the Breath Takers and Thought Stealers.

"Here you are one...'Assassin's staircase'." said Kem with an innocent grin. "Follow me up"

Unfortunately as Kem put his weight on the ladder on of the bricks on the top came loose. and made some noise. The guards were immediately alerted and came looking around for whatever had caused the disturbance. The guards looked around for a couple of minutes and didn't seem about to give up. Kem motioned for Solafien to move around the another part of the wall while all their attention was drawn here. as they slowly inched their way past the guard tower to another section of the wall Kem's quick reflexes turned into a liability. Usually some fifty feet in the air, Kem wasn't used to having to deal with many bugs. When he was bitten by a mosquito he smacked it without even thinking realizing his mistake an instant too late as the alarms on the walls went off. The guards clamored around the walls looking for intruders but still unable to see them. Solafien gave Kem a frustrated eye roll, and Kem gave a sheepish shrug. He guessed too much time around the assassin was starting to rub off on him. Kem motioned for Solafien to continue, after all a job was a job. Then he stepped out of the shadows and drew the full attention of the guards to him. With Lucky Someone of them would leave their posts unmanned and Solafien could use to ladder to slip over unnoticed in the commotion.

For a while it seemed like it worked. Unfortunately Kem hear of a cry from the front gate "SOMEONE'S BREAKING INTO THE HOUSE". Obviously Solafien had been seen. Kem had his own issues to worry about. He was being forced to dodge volleys of at least twenty arrows. He performed this dance for another half an hour or so before he got a whistle from the trees, apparently Solafien had managed to get out alive. Not needing an engraved invite he hightailed it back to the boat so Solafien could fill him in of the success of the mission.

Last edited:

Snowylder

First Post
Hallo!

The reason this "doesn't sound like a DIAGLO game" is because its not- I'm running it.

Snowylder by nick, running Rogue's Run for our group and new to ENworld.

Look me up!

biorph

First Post
Amateur Hour Part 1

"So let me see if I've got this right" replied Kem when they were both back on the ship. "You sneak in, invisible, and when someone notices the open window, you play 'dodge the onrush of guards' while stumbling all throughout the now overpopulated house looking for a secret door you might somehow be able to open. When the inevitable failure happens and you realize that there is no way out and no way to disguise yourself as servant now you sneak out and kill a guard along the way for laughs."

"Yeah, pretty much, but when you say it that way it sounds bad." replied Solafien

Kem continued to rub his temples. His brain hurt a feeling he usually only got when he had to spend long periods of time with Khalil after someone had given the child sugar. He was noticing these headaches coming on more and more lately as he stayed with the group.

"Why didn't you just...nevermind, I give up let's ask the otheers maybe they have some ideas."

The group met in Omar's room as Solafien described the situation and the occurrence. It wasn't any less painful to sit through and listen to the second time around. Thankfully Omar had an idea of how to handle the situation. He pulled out his mirror and began to cast. Focusing on the image sketch Solafien had given him he was able to zero in on the former gold taker. The man looked badly beaten and in chains surrounded by rock walls. Omar surmized he must be in some kind of dungeon under the grounds somewhere.

"So we're just supposed to find him and make sure he promises not to tell anyone anymore secrets? that's it?" asked Khalil.

"We are supposed to silence him permanently" replied Solafien. Everyone esle in the room looked uncomfortable. No one really wanted to have to explain to the child about the ins and outs of the assassin trade.

"That's what I said, make him promise not to share secrets anymore." replied Khalil.

"Solafien" interjected Omar, "May I see your orders, I have a...concern"
Solafien handed over the orders and Omar began to read them over. The bard seemed to take time as if carefully looking for something. "Yes yes, this is definitely...unusual" he said looking up at Solafien over the paper. "Orders from the Breath Takers aren't usually so open to interpretation. They are allowing you to use your judgment...if you wish."

"I have already made MY decision" replied Solafien. "And I think...MOST of us know what needs to be done. You will all be paid well for you assistance."

Omar shrugged "Very well, using the information from the scry I think I can transport a few of us to his location magically. All but one of us anyway."

"I'll stay behind" Kem volunteered "I can make a distraction on the walls and keep the guards busy while you escape"

"Wait a minute, Omar" said Khalil, "Are you going to be able to get the prisoner out too?"

"Sure Khalil" the bard lied "It shouldn't be any problem at all."

Remove ads