Dice are Cool

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Pbartender said:
Just take a d12 and number it 1 through 4 three times... the same way they make d3s and d2s out of six-siders.

I just roll a d8 and divide by 2, rounding up. :) But I am glad that people are busily researching non-caltrop d4's.

Xyanthon

First Post
Yeah, I think the dice tip it for me too. I like to have all those many sided dice in a gaming session. d4,d6,d8,d10,d12,d20.....I don't know why but there is just something magical about a bag full of all those polyhedrons.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Instead of the d4, roll a d12 and a d3 and divide the result of the former by the result of the latter and find interesting ways to round off the non-integer results so that you get an even distribution.

Or, stick with the d4.

:)

I like dice too, I have hundreds of them.

Dave

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Scribble said:
My dice bag looks so sad when it sits there unussed after I pull out only 3d6.

Anyone else feel this way?
I feel that way about d12s. :uhoh:

Staffan

Legend
Tuzenbach said:
Actually, if you go to Gamescience.com (which may now be relocated to Gamestation.com), you'll find a d8 which simply has 1-4 twice.
I wouldn't like that. I like that you can instantly identify a die by just looking at its shape.

One night at my old gaming club, one of the guys had the worst luck. He couldn't roll double-digit numbers for hours. Then he looked a little closer at the d20 he had been using, and noticed that it was not a d20 at all - it was an old-school d10, the kind that's shaped like a d20 but is numbered 1-10 twice (or maybe 0-9 - anyway, he never rolled a 0 so that didn't come up). I don't want a similar thing to happen with my d8s.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Doc_Klueless said:
The dice are what convinced me to use Savage Worlds as my generic RPG engine of choice. :heh: :eek:

Yeah , I love those character sheets where you get to fill in the die you have. I haven't played SW but it seems to me the system will break after a while. I mean if the standard DC is 4 then 1d4+3 is enough to guarantee success, not to mention 1d12+12 or whatever.

I am a dice lover too so if a game brags about only using d6s or d10s I'm a little less interested. Dice pool games suck. -d20 & Co rules.

Geek Messiah

First Post
Scribble said:
I like a few other game systems outisde of D20... (and previous D&D incarnations...)

Like, for instance GURPS. I like GURPS, and think it's a pretty good design. But what eventually draws me back to d20 is the dice. 3d6 (the GURPS method) just gets boring after a while.

I gots me a bag full o' neat lookin dice an I wanna use em!

My dice bag looks so sad when it sits there unussed after I pull out only 3d6.

Anyone else feel this way?

Totally Agree. I like rolling and I think that is why I can never get into diceless rpgs (though I respect gamers who enjoy those kind of games).

I like the randomness. But that's just me

Remove ads