• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice are Cool

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Pbartender said:
Just take a d12 and number it 1 through 4 three times... the same way they make d3s and d2s out of six-siders.

I just roll a d8 and divide by 2, rounding up. :) But I am glad that people are busily researching non-caltrop d4's.

Xyanthon

First Post
Yeah, I think the dice tip it for me too. I like to have all those many sided dice in a gaming session. d4,d6,d8,d10,d12,d20.....I don't know why but there is just something magical about a bag full of all those polyhedrons.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Instead of the d4, roll a d12 and a d3 and divide the result of the former by the result of the latter and find interesting ways to round off the non-integer results so that you get an even distribution.

Or, stick with the d4.

:)

I like dice too, I have hundreds of them.

Dave

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Scribble said:
My dice bag looks so sad when it sits there unussed after I pull out only 3d6.

Anyone else feel this way?
I feel that way about d12s. :uhoh:

Staffan

Legend
Tuzenbach said:
Actually, if you go to Gamescience.com (which may now be relocated to Gamestation.com), you'll find a d8 which simply has 1-4 twice.
I wouldn't like that. I like that you can instantly identify a die by just looking at its shape.

One night at my old gaming club, one of the guys had the worst luck. He couldn't roll double-digit numbers for hours. Then he looked a little closer at the d20 he had been using, and noticed that it was not a d20 at all - it was an old-school d10, the kind that's shaped like a d20 but is numbered 1-10 twice (or maybe 0-9 - anyway, he never rolled a 0 so that didn't come up). I don't want a similar thing to happen with my d8s.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Doc_Klueless said:
The dice are what convinced me to use Savage Worlds as my generic RPG engine of choice. :heh: :eek:

Yeah , I love those character sheets where you get to fill in the die you have. I haven't played SW but it seems to me the system will break after a while. I mean if the standard DC is 4 then 1d4+3 is enough to guarantee success, not to mention 1d12+12 or whatever.

I am a dice lover too so if a game brags about only using d6s or d10s I'm a little less interested. Dice pool games suck. -d20 & Co rules.

Geek Messiah

First Post
Scribble said:
I like a few other game systems outisde of D20... (and previous D&D incarnations...)

Like, for instance GURPS. I like GURPS, and think it's a pretty good design. But what eventually draws me back to d20 is the dice. 3d6 (the GURPS method) just gets boring after a while.

I gots me a bag full o' neat lookin dice an I wanna use em!

My dice bag looks so sad when it sits there unussed after I pull out only 3d6.

Anyone else feel this way?

Totally Agree. I like rolling and I think that is why I can never get into diceless rpgs (though I respect gamers who enjoy those kind of games).

I like the randomness. But that's just me

Remove ads