Dice bag vs app

Physical dice in person and the option to use a roller or physical dice on Roll20/Discord. I find the dice are faster than most apps unless you've programmed in a bunch of stuff.

aramis erak

Legend
Be honest, tell the truth.

How many people still carry a dice bag and how many use a roller app on their phone? I'm curious.

I'm old school gamer, so I generally use a bag o' dice.
I only use dice rollers for online play.
FTF, excepting L5R5, Genesys, and Star Wars (EotE, AOR, F&D), it's real dice. As a GM, when the die roller is used, I put restrictions. must be flat on the table, roll must not be made until called for. And I need to see the results.
It's not so much that I'm that much a control freak as that such a restriction prevents a lot of accusations by player vs other player. Head it off, don't have to deal with it in session.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The dice always match the game format, in my experience.
I've never seen anyone roll a physical dice when playing a virtual game...nor have I ever seen anyone roll a virtual dice when playing a physical game.

aramis erak

Legend
The dice always match the game format, in my experience.
I've never seen anyone roll a physical dice when playing a virtual game...nor have I ever seen anyone roll a virtual dice when playing a physical game.
I've found that, online, the number of "exceptional rolls" from groups I've let "use" physical dice in online play significantly outperform even the hottest misreaders. Which is why I used shared visibility dice programs ...

Until it broke, I used the one at CatchYourHare.com; I then switched to a dice bot in Discord.

And then, since I found the Discord Bot I was using was statistically skewed too far for my comfort. (And skewed in an odd way - 3 & 5 were more that twice 6's and 1.5× 1's. on well over 200 d6's - 4 consecutive sessions of Pendragon with heavy combat action. The d20 rolls had a similar discrepancy.)

So I wrote my own Discord bot. In Python. I only run it during games.

I use a variation on the χ² test of fit.
x = √{∑(e-a)²/n}
Where
e = rolls per side (aka expected rolls)
a = actual results per side
n = number of trials =sides × e
x = poorness of fit.
x = 0 is not a random die, but a deck of cards, using each card, and not shuffling until the dec is exhausted.
0.1 ≤ x ≤ 0.5 is a good fit. Any lower, and its time to test for patterns... and higher, and its skewed
the bigger e is, the more reliable the result, 5 is the minimum for any validity, but above 30, becomes diminishing returns; 10's pretty reasonable for hand rolled, I use 50 for PRNG. The bigger x is, the less fair the die or PRNG.

PRNG: Pseudo-Random Number Generator. the technical name for the computer programs that generate "random numbers."

Python 3's Random.shuffle() method is good enough for me, and my players.

delericho

Legend
Physical dice. I even used them when running via Teams/Zoom during lockdown. I don't expect ever to change.

I don't care what my players use.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In person is exclusively a dice bag and same for everyone else around the table. Online is a mix - with one DM it's Roll20 but he doesn't mind if people roll their own dice, and I use Google Draw in a game and people are exclusively their own dice.

At no point does a dice roller app on a phone come into play.

Remove ads