Dice bags - a few questions

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
My dicebag is a fabric zippered bag. I don't know what its intended purpose is, but it was a freebee from a drug rep that my mom brought home from a conference. It's rectangular and zips all the way around, so that it lays open like a book when fully unzipped. I love the size and structure, even if it doesn't look particularly lovely. If I were to make a new bag, it would have that design, just with nicer fabric.

The features I want:

The zip design. The bag is fully opened, so I can easily find any dice I want without having to dump them out. Very easy to use. No strings to get knotted or come undone.

Nice and big. I don't just keep dice in my bag. It also holds a smaller bag of D6s, my pencils, my small calculator and my laser pointer. I need space for that stuff.

Pretty. A good dice bag must be pretty. That, though, is going to mean different things to different people. Any sort of luxury material is going to be pretty to someone. Leather, brocade, satin, fancy linings, chainmail, all of these things could make something beautiful. If you could make a renfest costume out of it, you can make a pretty dicebag.

Krensky

First Post
One of these days I need to have my mom teach me to knit so when I finally tire of my pesky sanity, I can knit a Klein dice bag.

amysrevenge

First Post
One of these days I need to have my mom teach me to knit so when I finally tire of my pesky sanity, I can knit a Klein dice bag.

My wife keeps promising to knit me a Klein bottle dice bag, but no results yet.

I do have a hand-knit, felted bag with drawstring for my dice. It's roughly pear shaped, and about 3/4 of the bottom round part is full (the neck is empty). I have a couple of the small plastic boxes inside it (one holding a set of precision dice, and one holding hair elastic condition markers) in addition to the full dice lineup.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I use basic, undecorated colored felt dice bags. I typically use the big ones, but I also have a couple of small ones as well (for games with unique, dedicated dice). The deciding factor? Usually a pretty color- my current bags are Black, Red, Purple and Turquoise.

Those dice I don't carry, I put in a big plastic cookie jar in the middle of the game table for anyone to use when I'm hosting.

fissionessence

First Post
I used to have a Crown Royal bag . . . but then I lost it [with all the dice in it] :(

Now I use some kind of mini metal tool box sort of thing that used to contain a pocket knife and a couple components. I tore out the foam interior so that the box is completely empty (except for my dice and some post-it-style notes with DM stuff).

I remember using a 7-11 plastic bag that I think some cookies came in. I used that one for several months. I seriously doubt I would spend money on a bag when I could just find something such as in the previous examples.

~

Nai_Calus

First Post
I don't use a bag, I use a small clear plastic box with a latching lid.

I play Shadowrun and usually bring along 20 12mm d6, the box allows me to see if I've got them all by forming them into rows, and also doubles as a dice cup - When I need to make a roll I pull out the ones I'm not using, slap the lid back on, give it a few good shakes and slap it down on the table. (Which is invaluable when you're rolling 12 rounded-corner d6s on a small folding table that would otherwise end up on the floor, under furniture...)

I'm not really sure how a dice bag could be made that would fit my requirements for that, heh.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
My dice bag is made from the scrotum of a bull, it was a tobacoo bag sent to me from a friend out west (US). :eek:

I use a number of bags that hold different sets of dice for different systems and then I have a large junk bag for older dice that I have no problem loosing.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
The most important thing to me is that the top cinches shut securely enough to prevent dice from falling out in transit. I think the material figures into this somewhat. For me leather never stays shut and I've heard that chainmail bags are the worst for it. Very lightweight felt (like a Crown Royal bag) works better than most.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For me leather never stays shut and I've heard that chainmail bags are the worst for it.

In both cases, it depends rather much on how the thing is laced. I use a leather bag, and no die has a chance in Hades of escaping when I've tied it shut.

Remove ads