Discussion - LEW 4th Edition

Creamsteak

Explorer
Honestly I need to look at some measurements. I know at SOME point it was stated how big LEW was across. Any chance someone updated that to the wiki in the geography section?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Ok, the original write-ups were a bit off obviously looking at them and doing the math. The "surface area" even at the huge diameter (about the same as the equater) is off by a lot. I think it should be 25%.

Still, since this idea is just an homage, we can make it smaller.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Maybe we can name the sea/ocean/crater "Orrussus Sea/Ocean/Crater" or something like that. Or name it after the Planeswalker I mean Wizard that stole the chunk in the first place. Be neat to have some stray fragment of memory or name that points to the lost land...

Creamsteak

Explorer
My initial thought was "The Missing Ring" but that might be a little subtle. It refers to two different thins. 1) That the missing piece from a map-view would be circular like that kind of rings. 2) That the actual upheaved chunk of ground was shaped like a diamond set in a ring (the six towers being the original "facets" around the diamond).

Of course, there's always unlimited options for other hidden lore and names given to the place.

orsal

LEW Judge
Creamsteak said:
One idea I'd like to propose as a topic of thought is making the L4W world the original world LEW came from by some of the creation myths.

This isn't anything incredibly complicated really. It's sort of just a way of tieing the two together without having to deal with any mechanical changes.

I'm against any attempt to tie the two worlds together. It means that features developed for one world could have ramifications for the other, and thus impinge on the flexibility of the community of players in the other world. I'd rather keep them as completely separate unrelated settings.

Creamsteak

Explorer
orsal said:
I'm against any attempt to tie the two worlds together. It means that features developed for one world could have ramifications for the other, and thus impinge on the flexibility of the community of players in the other world. I'd rather keep them as completely separate unrelated settings.
Erm... it wouldn't though.

Wik

First Post
I'm completely neutral to the idea of LEW and L4W having a common background. Could be cool; wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there.

I *really* like the "Caribbean" model, with the northern (North America) part consisting of desert, and a forested west coast (and eventually frost lands), and the jungle islands could be really cool.

If we did that, I'd kind of like to see an aquatic race introduced eventually (once we get the gist of the rules).

But, I'm voting for Caribbean!

Manzanita

First Post
Given that in our experience with LEW & LEB, active judges are in shortest supply, we might try a simpler approach with L4W. Players are rarely a problem. DMs, even seem fairly pletniful. But finding judges willing to create maps, update rules logs, analyze & vote wisely on suggestions, etc, is difficult.

I wonder if it would be worth taking steps to keep this next world low-maintenance. I'm thinking we could actually use a map of our earth for this world. We could then pick the Caribbean, the Aegean Sea or whatever for our archipelago. Maps would then be easy to come by. Distances would be easy to determine. Etc.

We could also just play a basic Core rules. Modifications & additions only if overwhelmingly approved and the judges who vote 'Yes' also volunteer to update the relevant threads.

Just thought I'd throw that in...

Wik

First Post
I like the idea of borrowing from our world, but I don't know if it'd work, for the simple reason that keeping the names could really confuse things.

I think a simple map, based on the caribbean, would be the way to go. And then throw in a rough map of the basic world, with a few regions tapped in.

And I'm a fan of the Core rules, with only a few minor additions as we progress (and putting it all in a specialized thread - a "mechanic proposal" thread)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wik said:
I like the idea of borrowing from our world, but I don't know if it'd work, for the simple reason that keeping the names could really confuse things.

I think a simple map, based on the caribbean, would be the way to go. And then throw in a rough map of the basic world, with a few regions tapped in.

And I'm a fan of the Core rules, with only a few minor additions as we progress (and putting it all in a specialized thread - a "mechanic proposal" thread)
I'm not a fan of the Caribbean--as you can see from my suggestion, I want us to have substantial continents as well (that are not just desert--continents that have civilisation on them) and not just a bunch of islands.

As to the core rules, well, it's far far too early to say whether or not we'll ever adjust them. It depends massively upon what Wizards give us, right?

Remove ads