• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion of Scotley's upcoming 4e Swashbuckler Game

Scotley

Hero
How does everyone feel about using real earth place names like France, Paris, Spain? Will that spoil your sense of fantasy? When they don't exactly match their real counterparts due to strong fantasy elements will that destroy your willing suspension of disbelieve?

I am serious about this game being very collaborative and I want it to meet your expectations at least as much as mine.

Shayuri

First Post
I'm thinking maybe borrow a page from "alt-histories" like steampunks and use alternate names for places that are still linguisticaly similar to their real world counterparts.

Such as, the Commonwealth of Kommonschlagen (I don't know German, obviously :)) with its capital of Berlagh that has boundaries roughly similar to Germany of the period.

renau1g

First Post
Like I mentioned before, I like Alt-Earth (hence my posting of Lionheart's stuff). I ran a game with that back in 3e and it was funn, but I'm only one so whatever everyone is good with.

Insight

Adventurer
I think Alt-Earth sounds cool. The Dwarf Swashbuckler could come from Alba (an old name for Scotland), for example (not Jessica Alba -- that would be wierd).

Rhun

First Post
I like different but similar names. You know, maybe like Franzia (yay for boxed wine!), Germania, etc.

Walking Dad

First Post
Yeah, the only assassin I have is the one from Dragon back in September 09. Please send it over and I'll check it out, but I expect it is fine.

In reguard to your second question--Is drow even a 4e race? Or is it just an elf with a different flavor?
If you send me your e-mail per PM, I will just attach it as a pdf.

The Drow question is already answered. They got errated to the Hot Forgotten Kingdoms version (can choose cha or wis +2, gain only one racial power).

Maybe r1g character and mine could now each other?
Could this worlds 'spain' perhaps be the drow nation?

Walking Dad

First Post
Espania! Should every race inhabit every nation? Or should nation and race be linked? If the later, I wonder which race will end up in Germania.

BTW, this starts to feel like a/the D&D version of 7th Sea.

sappire07

First Post
Give me a couple of days to see how many more of my current players jump aboard. I've got two or three who haven't checked in yet. I might squeeze in one more if they don't all join.

k pm me if they dont show up. i will work on my character later in case they dont show

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads