• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion of Scotley's upcoming 4e Swashbuckler Game

Scotley

Hero
Alright, how about this. We make the drow in this world sort of like the jews of earth. A race without a homeland, with their own traditions and religion that is sometimes persecuted for being different and or wealthy?

Does that fit with the vision you have in mind WD and renau1g?

renau1g

First Post
Sure, Drow's are a playable race from Forgotten Realms books. Everyone loves Drizzt... wait I'm suggesting a drow ranger... Doh!

So, my PC (Francois d'Yves) will try to deflect the criticism/distaste with jokes, witty repartee, and a smile, although it's a defensive mechanism and it does hurt. Jovial and free-spirited, born to wealthy parents, but the young drow got caught up in the duelist's lifestyle of "capital city France" and spent considerable time amongst the more proficient. However, his lineage prevented him from finding any of the blademaster's to train him. So, he settled for what was seen as second best, the wheellock pistol, and honed his skills with the weapons. He could reload them in the blink of an eye, the benefits of his nimble fingers and racial skill. Francois managed to draw the attention of [organization] with grandiose public displays.

[sblock=Image]
Jarlaxle.jpg

[/sblock]

I've attached a draft character sheet.

Attachments

• Dungeons and Dragons Character Sheet.pdf
    8.6 MB · Views: 144

Scotley

Hero
It looks like a controller is the only role left unfilled so I'm thinking of a shardmind psion or wizard who's spent a bit too much time in the lab with a minor disconnect to reality, or an austentatious street preformer refracting light off his own body to dazzle onlookers. Playing a non-melee/non-striker will be fairly new for me, but think I can do it. If shardmind is too off the mark for the theme I guess I could make gnome work.

Yes, I agree the group could use a controller. Note that all characters will be part of an organization dedicated to the throne. Sort of a musketeers meets foreign legion thing. The organization is currently somewhat out of favor with the monarch. If you can justify a shardmind being part of such an organization then he is not too far off the mark.

Rhun

First Post
I'm home tonight, so I'll try to flesh out my character idea a bit then, and maybe start looking through some of the 4E stuff I have.

Scotley

Hero
Sure, Drow's are a playable race from Forgotten Realms books.

I've attached a draft character sheet.

I've got the Forgotten Realms books. How could I have forgotten the Drow. I don't think Lolth will be the default deity for Drow in this world.

A quick review of Francois looks very promising! I like him. He definately fits the spirit of the organization I had in mind.

I will try to get some info up this weekend. The pace of this thing has been much more rapid than I anticipated. I do have some notes on the world and npc's I intended to provide, but haven't had time yet. The organization is known as the Hounds of the Horn or the Servitors of the Thrice Turned Horn. Said horn is in fact an ancient artifact belonging to the kingdom. The hounds came originally in response to the call of the horn winded by an early king during a crisis. Those who responded became the organization you all serve. That was of course a few hundred years ago.

Scotley

Hero
I've been thinking about my bard idea, and Ryan's question about reflavoring gave me an idea.

I'd like to keep the Kalashtar race mechanically - the dual mind, the occasional bouts of madness, etc. but rather than have an entire race of them (unless someone else wants to play one as well) have her be a human touched by a god (Joan of Arc, anyone?). Her visions have led her to believe that she has a divine calling to protect the King and further his interests.

Just to be clear, she'd have all the qualities mechanically of a Kalashtar, and none of a human. The human part would be flavor only.

Does that make sense, and sound like a good start?

EDIT: I'm picturing her being from a different country, BTW, rather than from 'France.' Likely her God has told her that the fate of her country is tied to the fortunes of the King over here. In my mind, the divine inspiration and charisma for the Joan of Arc type play well with both the Bard class and the Prescient build for it.

That does sound very cool to me as well. Note that you might want to put your focus on the Kingdom rather than the king himself for reasons that will become evident as I provide a bit more background. Coming from another country works well. The origins of the Hounds of the Horn involve a mixed bag of folk from all nations and as an organization they are quite tolerant of what most folk thing of as 'outsiders'.

renau1g

First Post
No worries, take your time. I just got excited and I'll flesh him out more as details are revealed. I also don't think he'd have much interest in the gods (of any stripe).

Remove ads