Disney to reboot X-Files (Disney owns an insane amount of Fantasy/Sci Fi IP)

Half of these are things developed by Disney and aren't exactly shocking. Who else should own the IP based on a Disneyland ride?

It's not just Disney's own IPs though, although there is plenty of those, but also what they acquired via Lucas Film, ABC, Marvel (which had itself bought out other comic universes over time, and at times produced alot of none Superhero comics), and Fox and soon Hulu, it all ads up to an absurd level of IP combined.

MGibster

Legend
The X-Files was so good ... because it captured the zeitgeist of its time. It was the '90s, and we were all a little ironic and conspiracy-curious.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Even Delta Green, the Call of Cthulhu spinoff that's basically X-Files meets Cthulhu, has moved on. The X-Files pulled from popular ufo conspiracy theories dating back to the 1940s but concentrated in the 1970s and 80s. Those conspiracies haven't really been in vogue for a while, and if we're looking back at the last 20 years it's going to be QAnon, reptoids, and other seriously unpleasant ideas that do actual real harm. I used to think conspiracy theories were fun, but now they're not so fun.

I won't dismiss it out of hand. On occasion, the original X-Files fired on all cylinders giving us great episodes with Toomes and the best episode ever, "Home." I'll give it a chance at least.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Even Delta Green, the Call of Cthulhu spinoff that's basically X-Files meets Cthulhu, has moved on. The X-Files pulled from popular ufo conspiracy theories dating back to the 1940s but concentrated in the 1970s and 80s. Those conspiracies haven't really been in vogue for a while, and if we're looking back at the last 20 years it's going to be QAnon, reptoids, and other seriously unpleasant ideas that do actual real harm. I used to think conspiracy theories were fun, but now they're not so fun.

I won't dismiss it out of hand. On occasion, the original X-Files fired on all cylinders giving us great episodes with Toomes and the best episode ever, "Home." I'll give it a chance at least.

If you thought folks were curious about conspiracies back in the 90s it's much more mainstream now, especially stuff like UFOs and the paranormal.

MarkB

Legend

Yeah, the zeitgeist back then was "I want to believe, unlike all you cynical folks who doubt anything out of the ordinary."

These days, it'd be "Okay, can you all please stop believing every single wacky conspiracy theory someone tweets at you? Except this one. This one's completely 100% real."

Remove ads