DND 3.5 "Pain Pride and Prejudice" [Interest/Recruiting]

Tiali

First Post
Hey Leif, there is a spot open if you wanna fill it. Pretty much any class/race will work as pneumatik's Shifter Fighter can fill the tank spot.

bedford

First Post
This is the backround story of my character. I used kord as an example but if there is a more suitable god in your campaign world it is ok to.

Rungner was born in a tribe of barbarians in the north. No one knew why he was so large and ugly some said it was some sort of disease others that he had ogre or even giant blood in his veins. at the age of ten he killed the chieftains son in a rage and was banished from his homeland for tventy years. The young boy was taken in by priests of kord (god of Athletics, Sports, Brawling, Strength, and Courage). He was never a verry good cleric but he was a natural talent at wrestling: their gods favorite ceremony. Some of the clerics belive that his unusual size is a sign from kord himself and that Rungner is destined to become a mighty contender of kord.

Arkhandus

First Post
Creamsteak was going to be the tank. But one or both of the "extra" slots are filled with other tanks, so we really aren't lacking in that department. We now have one "extra/miscellaneous" slot and a healer slot unfilled, AFAIK.

And bedford, Kord (the Brawler) doesn't have War as a domain. He's an althetics/wrestling/strength deity, not a warfare-promoting deity.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Hey Leif, there is a spot open if you wanna fill it. Pretty much any class/race will work as pneumatik's Shifter Fighter can fill the tank spot.
Thanks, I appreciate it. But looking over the char gen stuff in post #1, I see that any of the characters that I have ready are FAR underpowered. If they survived more than one or two fights, they'd probably become instant liabilities for the party. Plus I would just feel pretty rotten if my character was that much worse than all the others.

The thing is that I could start over with a new character by the given guidelines, true, but I'm already in so many games that I really don't have the time (or to be totally honest, the inclination) to invest that much time. So I'd better pass for now. If you need another player on down the line some, maybe I'll have more time then. The game does sound very fun and highly intriguing. Cheers, all!

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
I just noticed that shifting "is superficially similar to a barbarian's rage." And I already knew that "A dervish cannot perform a dervish dance while under the effect of a rage or frenzy ability." So I may need to rebuild. I can still tank, I suppose. Let me work on it. Or declare that I can shift and dervish dance, but that's not my interpretation.

Edit: this is as much a note for myself, but I'm thinking of replacing Torl with a probably-human Bard/Paladin, with perhaps some warchanter from complete warrior. The Battle Caster feat (complete arcane) would allow normal breastplate or mithral fullplate ($$$$) without bard spell failure, and the Devoted Performer feat (complete adventurer) would give me plenty of bardic music uses and keep my smite evil from being atrophied. The character would be a follower of St. Cuthbert who doesn't have time for your crap.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Syronus could tank... but not too well until he starts getting his barbarian levels. After all, he only has 2d8 hit dice(constitution bonuses not included)

Arkhandus

First Post
I guess we will have to call it a wrestling domain then.. what could fit a cleric of kord better than improved grapple?
But that's what the Strength domain already covers; its granted power and domain spells are largely grappling-related; strength boosts, grasping hand etc. spells, size increases, improvements to toughness, immunity to spells that could interfere with attempts to fight up-close, etc. A human could always just take Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple as their 1st-level feats. The only core deity that has both Strength and War domains is Gruumsh.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
But that's what the Strength domain already covers; its granted power and domain spells are largely grappling-related; strength boosts, grasping hand etc. spells, size increases, improvements to toughness, immunity to spells that could interfere with attempts to fight up-close, etc. A human could always just take Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple as their 1st-level feats. The only core deity that has both Strength and War domains is Gruumsh.
Or you could splash one level of monk before going cleric. Changing out of a lawful alignment doesn't remove any monk abilities you've already gained. Though if you're going to splash something to be a better melee guy you might be better served with fighter, using the bonus feat for improved unarmed strike or improved grapple. Of course, if you're thinking of mixing cleric and barbarian anyway, splashing anything else will probably give you multiclass xp penalties.

If alternate class features from Unearthed Arcana (and the SRD) are in, bear totem barbarian gives improved grapple at level 2 without requiring improved unarmed strike at all.

Jemal

Adventurer
[sblock=Paladin of Freedom]Paladin of freedom can actually be found here as it is one of the few open source materials wizards printed. It doesn't vary much from the normal (LG) Pally. Exceptions are (If you don't feel like visiting the link):
Diplomacy is replaced by Bluff as class skill.
Aura of Courage(Immunity to fear/Allies gain bonuses vs fear) replaced with Aura of Resolve (immune to compulsion effects; Allies within 10 feet gain +4 morale bonus on saves vs compulsion effects. otherwise functions identically to the paladin's aura of courage ability)
a few spells changed(Will detail if I ever go far enough to gain Pally spells)

Code of Conduct: Instead of respecting Law, paladins of freedom respect individual liberty, help those in need (provided they do not use the help for lawful or evil ends), and punish those who threaten or curtail personal liberty.
They retain all the codes referring to 'good/evil'
[/sblock]

As far as tanking goes, I can fill that roll if we need. Healing I won't have so much off, I'll only have a couple lvls of paladin, my healing will be restricted to lay on hands. Though If people want to chip in for a wand of CLW, I can use it so we have the added healing.

My character concept is primarily a fighter-mage. Eldritch blasts, channeling energy through my sword, holy smiting, flying and teleporting around(At higher levels), etc. Though he can do a bit of everything - He'll be ok with several skills, fair offense/defense, and a little bit of healing.

Basically, as far as what role my character fills - You guys tell me what roll yo want him to fill and I can focus on that. Otherwise I'll be a primary DPS with a bit of 'jack of all trades'. The personality and basic concept won't have to change regardless.

Remove ads