DnD 3.5 - Valley of the Dead

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
So am I reading right that you are looking to play? Probably 3.5 or earlier? I think Leif might have a 2.0, Scotley might have 3.5. not sure.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Pure text RPGs are fun, but I find the character building options of DnD a great way for the individual player or DM to show creativity. As are spell limitations, item choices, action choices, action economy and so on.

Creativity is what makes for the best DnD games IMO but we can't be creative if we all just "play pretend" without rules. We tried to roleplay gods with basically no rules. Then we added rules. Then we leveled up to Divine Rank 1 and I asked if I should list the effects of every 3.5 spell Persisted on my character and it all fell apart.

I would play 3.5, if it's 2.0 (AD&D) I think I would only play in the setting of the Netherese Empire with the level 50 Arcanists and floating cities... And level 12 spells etc.

Scott DeWar

WoooooooW! That will be a few hours of reading. Would the players options rules be used?

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

After careful consideration, I feel that this level of play might be a bit . . . . . much . . . . . for my present mental capacities in the post medical event I am in. As much as I wish to play such a game, I can't at this time.

GlassEye

Adventurer
...Creativity is what makes for the best DnD games IMO but we can't be creative if we all just "play pretend" without rules. We tried to roleplay gods with basically no rules. Then we added rules. Then we leveled up to Divine Rank 1 and I asked if I should list the effects of every 3.5 spell Persisted on my character and it all fell apart...

Hey, Myth! Good to hear you are still out there and doing well.

You and I rocked that campaign! It is still one of my favorite games I've played in. I think there were several underlying issues, though, that contributed to it ending. My feeling was that the DM expected to be able to run it without having to do much preparation and at that level random encounters just don't work. That's mostly what killed it for me. And then the complexity of epic rules is just crazy and if you didn't go all out spellcaster you were at a distinct disadvantage to everyone who did.

Ever since then I've wondered how to model god-like beings and their phenomenal cosmic power (powers that can do almost anything imagined) and yet still use a rules set that is simpler than the epic/divine rules that we were using back then. I can't say that I've made any progress whatsoever but it has been fun thinking about it.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Hey GlassEye! Well, to be honest I really enjoyed that game as well. But DnD 3.5 doesn't function well at levels beyond 20, let alone with Divine Ranks. These rules are reserved for DMs. Epic spellcasting is a "break it or leave it" mechanic. Epic levels without casting are pathetic. A level 19 WIzard can kill a level 40 Fighter no problem, so long as the FIghted doesn't use his wealth by level to emulate a spellcaster.

I think that, as Gods, the players are their own enemy the most. And I think a much simpler rule for divine ranks should be followed.

Quasi Deities: Can destroy most non-deity monsters or characters in combat due to their spectacular feats prowess (think Hercules, Achiles etc.) No control over reality and such, aparyt from what regular 1-9 spells or abilities might have given them.

Demigods: Each character level gives them the spellcasting ability of a chosen class. If they already have levels in a full spellcaster class, they may chose to double their caster level or take levels in a different caster class OR the abilities of a non-spellcaster class (BAB, HP and saving throws included).

DR1 gods: They may smite anything of lower divine rank as a standard action (no save).

DR2 gods: They get Alter Reality (a homebrewed version) which allows them to manifest anything (within reason) as many times per day as they have divine ranks. Does not work against deities of equal or lower DR.

DR3 gods: They get the power of creation to seed a world with life.

So on and so forth. I'm brainstorming.

Also, I came to share this, as I know you guys will appreciate it:

a9dOR96_460s.jpg

Remove ads