DnD 3.5 - Valley of the Dead

wysiwyg

First Post
Dakyras (Greyman or Waylander)
(Male, Human, Neutral Good)

CLASSES
5th level Rogue (Rog), 1st level Fighter (Fgt), 2nd level Sword Sage (SwS)

STATS
Str: 12, Dex: 20, Con: 14, Int: 14, Wis: 14, Cha: 12

DEFENSES
Saves: Fort: +5*, Reflex: +12, Will: +6* (*+12 when using maneuvers.)
Armour: AC: 22, Touch: 17, Flat: 22
Hit Points: 72

COMBAT
Initiative: +6
Melee Attacks: +5, Grapple: +6, Range Attacks: +10

WEAPONS
Short swords +10 ( 1d6+7, 19-20/x2 )
Daggers +11 ( 1d4+6, 19-20/x2, 10 ft )
MW Crossbow +11 ( 1d10 , 19-20/x2, 120 ft )

Additional (Cumulative) Modifiers
Flanking: +4 (+3d6)
Against Undead: +2 (+2d6) - short swords only
Assassin's Stance: +0 (+2d6)

SKILLS
Stealth: Move Silently +17, Hide in Shadows +17
Awareness: Spot +11, Listen +11
Mechanical: Disable Device +13, Open Lock +16
Movement: Climb +12, Balance +14, Swim +10
Social: Gather Information +10
Magical: Use Magical Device +10
Other: Concentration +12

FEATS
Combat Reflexes, Weapon Finesse, Vexing Flanker, Shadow Blade, Two Weapon Fighting Style

Class Abilities
Rog: Sneak attack +3d6, Trap finding, Evasion, Uncanny dodge
SwS: Quick to Act +1, Discipline Focus (Weapon Focus), AC Bonus
*Exchanged: Trap sense+1 for effective sneak attack vs. undead.

Stances
Island of Blades (All adjacent foes to me and allies are flanked)
Assassin's Stance (Gain +2d6 to sneak attack damage)

Manuevers (*Readied maneuvers)
*Shadow Jaunt (Teleport 50' through shadows as standard action)
*Shadow Garrote (Ranged touch attack deals 5d6 damage)
*Moment of Perfect Mind (Use Concentration check instead of Will save)
*Mind over Body (Use Concentration check instead of Fortitude save)
Cloak of Deception (Turn invisible until end of turn)
Action Before Thought (Use Concentration check instead of Reflex save)
Fan of the Flames (Ranged touch attack deals 6d6 fire damage)

Equipment
Weapons: 2x Bane Short swords +1, MW Heavy Crossbow (20 bolts), 5x Daggers
Armor: Mithral Chain Shirt +1
Wonderous: Gloves of Dexterity +2, Handy Haversack, Ring of Sustenance, Healing Belt
General: Bedroll, blanket (winter), Crowbar, Hammer, Flint and steel, Small steel mirror, Oil (2 flasks), Rope, hempen (50 ft.), Soap (1lb), Torch (10), Climber’s kit, MW Thieves' Tools, Garlic (necklace of )

Money: PP 8, GP 10, SP 12

Appearance
More to come here...
Age: 30, Height: 5"11, Weight: 170lb., Hair: Brown, Eyes: Grey, Skin: Tanned

Background
More to come here...

[sblock=Calculations]
Stat Score Base Points Adjustment
Str 12 12 4
Dex 20 16 10 +2 level, +2 gloves of Dexterity
Con 14 14 6
Int 14 14 6
Wis 14 14 6
Cha 12 12 4

Hit Points
Class Levels HD HP
Rog 5 d6 30
Fgt 1 d10 10
SwS 2 d8 16
Con 16

Armor Class
Base: 10 +5 (Chain shirt +1) +5 (Dexterity) +2 (AC Bonus. +2 Add Wis bonus to AC Sword sage class ability. ToB, Pg 16)

Initiative
+5 (Dexterity) +1 (Quick to Act +1. Sword sage class ability. ToB, Pg 16)

Saves
Fort: +5 = +1(Rog) +2(Fgt) +0(SwS) +2(Con) (use +12 when using Mind over Body)
Reflex: +12 = +4(Rog) +0(Fgt) +3(SwS) +5(Dex)
Will: +6 = +1(Rog) +0(Fgt) +3(SwS) +2(Wis) (use +12 when using Moment of Perfect Mind)

Combat
Base Attack: +5 (Rog+3, Fgt+1, SwS+2)
Damage: +5 dex (Shadow Blade - short swords & daggers)

Short swords
Attack: +10 = +5(Base) +5(Dexterity) +1(Weapon Focus) +1(Magic Bonus) -2(Two Weapons)
MW Daggers: +11 +5(Base) +5(Dexterity) +1(Weapon Focus)

Against undead: +2 (+2d6) (Bane weapons)

Skill Score Ranks Stat Other
Move Silently +17 10 +5 +2 Stealthy
Hide in Shadows +17 10 +5 +2 Stealthy
Concentration +12 10 +2
Spot +11 9 +2
Listen +11 9 +2
Climb +12 9 +1 +2 Climbing tools
Disable Device +13 9 +2 +2 MW thieves' tools
Open Lock +16 9 +5 +2 MW thieves' tools
Gather Information +10 9 +1
Use Magical Device +10 9 +1
Balance +14 9 +5
Swim +10 9 +1
**Skill Points 111 = 88(Rog) +5(Fgt) +18(SwS)

Feats
Combat Reflexes, Weapon Finesse (Rog 1)
Vexing Flanker (Rog 3) - Grants +4 bonus when flanking (Player's Handbook II, pg 85)
Shadow Blade (SwS 6) - Add dex bonus to damage when in Shadow Hand stance (ToB)
Two Weapon Style (Fgt 7)

Stances
Island of Blades (All adjacent foes to me and allies are flanked (ToB, pg 78)
Assassin's stance (Gain +2d6 to sneak attack damage (ToB, pg 75)

Manuevers (* Readied maneuvers.)
*Shadow Jaunt (Teleport 50' through shadows as standard action)
*Shadow Garrote (Ranged touch attack deals 5d6 damage)
*Moment of Perfect Mind (Use Concentration check instead of Will save)
*Mind over Body (Use Concentration check instead of Fortitude save)
Cloak of Deception (Turn invisible until end of turn)
Action Before Thought (Use Concentration check instead of Reflex save)
Fan of the Flames (Ranged touch attack deals 6d6 fire damage)

Equipment Cost Weight
2x Bane Short swords +1 16,000 4
MW Heavy Crossbow (20 bolts) 352 10
5x Daggers 10 5
Mithral Chain Shirt +1 1,100 13
Gloves of Dexterity +2 4,000 1
Handy Haversack 2,000 5
Ring of Sustenance 2,500 0
Healing Belt 750 1
Bedroll, blanket (winter) 0.6 *
Crowbar 2 *
Hammer 0.5 *
Flint and steel 1 *
Small steel mirror 10 *
Oil (2 flasks) 0.2 *
Rope, hemp (50 ft.) 1 *
Soap (1lb) 0.5 *
Torch (10) 0.1 *
Climber’s kit 80 *
MW Thieves' Tools 100 *
Money: PP 8, GP 10, SP 12

Additional Sources
Player's Handbook II
Tome of Battle - Book of Nine Swords (ToB)
Magic Item Compendium (Healing belt)

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Someone enlighten me where to find the rules for shapechanging and items. I always thought that unless the item is specifically designed to give bonuses to someone that has altered his/her form, they lose the bonuses do not apply?

Well, I'm just going to assume you're asking in regards to my Changeling character.

That in mind, as far as I know, Changeling's ability to change shape doesn't alter size or form in a way significant enough to affect gear/clothing.

Shayuri

First Post
Someone enlighten me where to find the rules for shapechanging and items. I always thought that unless the item is specifically designed to give bonuses to someone that has altered his/her form, they lose the bonuses do not apply?

Bahahha...welcome, my friend, to the Can Of Worms. :)

There are several forms of shapechanging in 3.5e...and they each have fundamentally different rules. Fortunately, they boil down to one of two core rule-lines.

There's the shapechanges that are based on the Alternate Form ability, like Wild Shape. They use these rules:

[sblock=Alternate Form]Alternate Form (Su): A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume one or more specific alternate forms. A true seeing spell or ability reveals the creature’s natural form. A creature using alternate form reverts to its natural form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape. A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template. Assuming an alternate form results in the following changes to the creature:

* The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form. If the new form has the aquatic subtype, the creature gains that subtype as well.
* The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
* The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
* The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.
* The creature retains the spell-like abilities and supernatural attacks of its old form (except for breath weapons and gaze attacks). It does not gain the spell-like abilities or supernatural attacks of its new form.
* The creature gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form. Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.
* Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
* The creature retains any spellcasting ability it had in its original form, although it must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and it must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components.
* The creature is effectively camouflaged as a creature of its new form, and it gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks if it uses this ability to create a disguise.
* Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space. If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size. (Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and viceversa.) Gear returns to normal size if dropped.[/sblock]

The other rules line for shapechanging stems from the Alter Self spell, and uses these rules as a baseline:

[sblock=Alter Self]You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form. The new form must be within one size category of your normal size. The maximum HD of an assumed form is equal to your caster level, to a maximum of 5 HD at 5th level. You can change into a member of your own kind or even into yourself.

You retain your own ability scores. Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same. You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack).

You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.

If the new form is capable of speech, you can communicate normally. You retain any spellcasting ability you had in your original form, but the new form must be able to speak intelligibly (that is, speak a language) to use verbal components and must have limbs capable of fine manipulation to use somatic or material components.

You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal.

You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.

You do not gain any supernatural special attacks, special qualities, or spell-like abilities of the new form. Your creature type and subtype (if any) remain the same regardless of your new form. You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype.

You can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture, and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under your control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form’s kind. You are effectively disguised as an average member of the new form’s race. If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on your Disguise check.

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you wore in the assumed form and can’t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion are still held in the same way. Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from the whole reverts to its true form.[/sblock]

This line is used for Polymorph spells, and the almighty Shapechange as well...though I should point out that each of those spells has its own variations on the rules, so you need to consult the Polymorph and/or Shapechange spell descriptions AND the Alter Self description to really see how each spell works.

Simple, eh? (^_^)

Theroc

First Post
Hm... I haven't written anything concrete, since a vast majority of my choices will depend whether I go a more Tank-y tank route or a more Rampaging crazy route, but M&L, how do you feel about intelligent magic items?

Intelligent Items :: d20srd.org

They're in the DMG, so they are definitely Core, but I wasn't sure whether you were comfortable with them or not, so I thought I'd ask.

ethandrew

First Post
Okay. Doing a sorceror. With a monk level.

Why, you ask?

Don't question me.

This cracked me up. My wizard will not be a blasty-type. Matter of fact he might actually suck against undead, but it's the living that he'll be potent against. So a blasty-type, be it a warlock or a monk-sorcerer (a lawful sorcerer?) would be a good get.

wysiwyg

First Post
Myth, I'm getting a little lost with who's who. Can you start a thread like HM did for players to post their PC's in it (one post each).

Also you should place the first post with PC summary like (HM did again)
something like -

Player PC Name Class(es) XP

Theroc

First Post
Myth, I'm getting a little lost with who's who. Can you start a thread like HM did for players to post their PC's in it (one post each).

Also you should place the first post with PC summary like (HM did again)
something like -

Player PC Name Class(es) XP

I'm the Changeling tank... though my actual base-class is as of yet undecided.

Rhun's got me considering Paladin too now.

Myth and Legend

First Post
I will post a Rogue's Gallery once i've OK'd the submitted sheets (which i have not), and a list of characters in the first post. I'm giving you guys time to change things around and discuss, and I'm giving myself time in reviewing the submitted sheets. One thing i have to insist on is the format I posted (wysiwyg please check a few posts after the first one to see it)

Shayuri thanks for the shapechange info! A Monk/Sorcerer. Well considering that CHA is the only thing a Monk doesn't need, i applaud your style! Unless you have found some version of Monk that uses CHA instead of WIS for his main stat? (I'd be OK with that)

Voda Vosa: Don't make a character yet, as you will probably have to pay in mind the kind of character the party loses if a player goes MIA. I'll call you you have my word, Legolas's bow and Gimli's axe!

OK i came back from work today, went for a little nap and woke up 4 and a half hours later o_O Sooo... let me get off my lazy arse and review the submitted sheets.

Remove ads