DnD while married/relationship - any advice

TGryph

Explorer
It's funny. I got into gaming shortly after getting married the first time. She complained about me being gone every Friday, but we had made an agreement so I stuck to it. She then started complaining to some friends at work. Their response was "Wait a minute...he only goes out once a week, you know exactly with where and with who, he is not drinking or running around, he is not spending money...and you are complaining???" That opened her eyes and for the next 35 or so years she not only accepted it, but even learned to do her own thing, even after my two sons were born. At that point, we switched over to my house so I could help out, until they got old enough to be on their own.
I had this as part of The Discussion early on when dating my current wife...the one where we feel each other out about Religion ad Politics. She didn't quite understand it, but accepted it, and is my biggest cheerleader and sounding board for campaign ideas.

The advice in here is solid.

But the advice I would give someone married with kids, married, or single is all the same:
Schedule. Keep to the schedule. Look forward to the schedule.

To me, it is the same as exercise. Make time for it. Schedule it. Be open and clear. Don't let other things get in the way. And try to remember there will come a time when you can't do it (exercise or play a TTRPG). So savor it. Look forward to it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
A lot of great advice here. I’d just add a couple things.

Gaming takes a lot of time, so if your partner doesn’t game, make sure you’re communicating they they feel like they are getting their time too.

Do not assume kids will enjoy your hobbies. My oldest was a huge jock and wasn’t a nerd at all, and I’ve heard other parents say they would make their kids play sports if they wanted to or not. Please don’t do that. Let your kids be their own people with their own hobbies, and support those hobbies even if you don’t care for them.

Mars Hall

Explorer
How often do you guys meet up?
If your married with kids has that slowed down Your frequency in meeting up as usual?

We play weekly. I specifically block out a weeknight for gaming and the people I get into relationships with understand that.

That said, we occasionally break for vacations, holidays, etc.

Remove ads