D&D 5E Do the official WotC adventures cheat with xp?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I do something very similar. I have a chart somewhere where where I took the expected xp per average adventuring day, and compared it to how much it takes to level. It's around 1 day to level up at very low levels then moves up to just over 3 days at mid-level, to back around 2 days at high levels. Now I just keep track of how many adventuring days we've had since the last level up to determine the next time we level up.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I give out bonus XP for players who solve puzzles, come up with some crazy idea that works, etc. That doesn't really work as well with milestone or just saying level when I want the group to level.

Tobold

Explorer
I would like to hear from somebody who has used milestone xp on Princes of the Apocalypse how in worked in practice, regardless of theoretical preferences. How do you motivate players to do content like the side trecks if there is no milestone connected to that? How do you handle the 4 Temples being connected to each other, with the possibility of the players wandering through several dungeons without ever reaching the milestone point of one of them? How do you handle the milestone of the Temple of Howling Hatred, which can be reached after just doing a very small part of the dungeon?

Remove ads