• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you allow electronics at your gaming table?

Do you use electronic aids (tablets, laptops etc.) at your gaming table?

• Yes, everybody uses or is permitted electronic aids at the table

Votes: 378 61.4%
  • Yes, but only the GM uses electronic aids at the table

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • No, electronic aids are not used at the table but are used for character creation

Votes: 71 11.5%
  • No, electronic aids are not used at all

Votes: 87 14.1%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This poll sorely lacks an option for "We play online and thus must use electronic tools, whether we prefer to or not."

Not really. It's a poll about behaviour at face to face gaming tables. It's gathering exactly the information I was curious about.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Not really. It's a poll about behaviour at face to face gaming tables. It's gathering exactly the information I was curious about.

But people who do play online are still liable to answer the question, and they will probably skew your poll by choosing the "everybody uses" option.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Morrus is well aware that the poll isn't scientific, and may have some errors in sampling and interpretation. That's okay.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
[MENTION=9213]ShinHakkaider[/MENTION], what about physical size limits? You still get to bring your "toys" but the need to be such and such dimensions or less?

Last edited:

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
[MENTION=9213]ShinHakkaider[/MENTION], what about physical size limits? You still get to bring your "toys" but the need to be such and such dimensions or less?

I'm not sure I'd limit based on size but I guess a 17" laptop might be a BIT much. But I have no issues with a standard sized tablet or smartphone.

Also I'm not sure if your use of "toys" is meant to be derisive (and apologies if I'm reading too much into it) but we're playing a game of pretend elves, dragons and other monsters. I think referring to tech as "toys" just might be a little much?

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I'm not sure I'd limit based on size but I guess a 17" laptop might be a BIT much. But I have no issues with a standard sized tablet or smartphone.

Also I'm not sure if your use of "toys" is meant to be derisive (and apologies if I'm reading too much into it)

This is good.

but we're playing a game of pretend elves, dragons and other monsters. I think referring to tech as "toys" just might be a little much?

But now you've just contradicted your apology for possibly reading too much into it. I refer to my books, dice, and accessories as "toys" as well. You don't like it? That's fine. If you're taking it as an insult, either to you or others, that's on you.

Madmaxneo

Explorer
In just about every game I have GMd or played people use their electronic devices freely. Most of the time it is directly game related and I have not encountered people who play games or randomly surf the internet. The rest of the time I'd say electronic devices are used for texting and that has never really been a problem.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Morrus is well aware that the poll isn't scientific, and may have some errors in sampling and interpretation. That's okay.

My point has nothing to do with whether the poll is scientific, or whether there are sampling errors--or even interpretation errors, except in so far as it may help people avoid them.

My point about omitted variable bias.

Mallus

Legend
Our Friday night campaign usually has the following in use: 1 laptop, 4 iPads, 3 smartphones.

Our weekend campaign usually has: 3 laptops, 2 iPads, 1 smartphone.

All connected to wifi/dataplans.

We are tech-savvy olds!

Remove ads