Do you believe in the supernatural?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Side Note: I went ahead and deleted the second thread. Felon, was there a reason for it, or did it look like the forum "ate" this one?

------------

As for myself, my rational mind says there is no empirical evidence of the supernatural to date - as a personal belief, I believe in various things from divine intervention to actual good "luck", and believe that the end results can be explained in physical terms, though the motivating forces cannot be. Saying any more than that seriously gets into a discussion of theology and religion that I don't care to go into.

Torm

Explorer
What I believe: we live in a Magickal world. I also believe, though, that EVERYTHING is Magick. And a scientific knowledge of it doesn't take that away - on the contrary, the additional knowledge is Magick, as well! :) (My Atheist friend says that is entirely a semantical construction - fine. He can believe the universe is half empty, I'll take half full. :D )

If there are ghosts, they are more like sensor ghosts - somehow, the electrical pattern of a brain that used to exist in that space is influencing the pattern of the brain there now, or some such.

ESP - I've had flashes before, myself. It may be that the subconscious finds a pattern I was not consciously aware of, and presents it. I don't believe people who say they can control it - I would need scientific proof.

Demonic possession, yes, for reasons that would probably get me committed, so I'll let that pass.

Mind over Matter - I'm a touch telekenetic, myself. :D

Aust Diamondew

First Post
None of the supernatural phenomena has offered much if any (or conclusive) hard evidence to prove its existence. As much as I'd like to believe in some of this supernatural stuff, IMO it's simply clever people BSing you or it's simply people getting confused by something thats perfectly natural.

I'm always open to new evidence but unfortunatley time and again it's not very good.

In the right state of mind people can do some pretty incredible things such as under the effects of hypnotism but nothing supernatural.

This guy has disproved lots of supposed pyschiks and some televagelist who were taking advantage of people by performing 'miracles' (I hope this doesn't cross over into religion but if those guys are considered christian priest then I must be the Archangel Gabriel) check out his web site: http://www.randi.org/

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm a physicist, so I fall solidly in the "there is no such thing - it is natural or it doesn't exist." As a reasonably-minded scientist, I am also firmly of the belief that science hasn't explained everything yet.

That being said, I thoroughly expect the explanations to be far more mundane than most believers think they are. If nothing else, a great many things fall under the "Just too cool to exist" rule. Certain things simply don't exist, because their existance would make our Universe too cool. :)

The_Universe

First Post
Certain things simply don't exist, because their existance would make our Universe too cool.
I resent that.

But seriously, I believe in some things that are considered supernatural by some, and religious by others (I won't detail, due to forum rules) that you could generally lump into the "faith" category, but most other paranormal/supernatural things out there are total crap (IMO).

On the other hand, I find them (and accounts thereof) to be deliciously entertaining. Long ago, there was a thread here about "real life" encounters with the supernatural. It's in the running for one of my all time favorite threads - I think it's archived. Someone should get that started, again.

Remove ads