D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 245 54.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 206 45.7%

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Unless it's a spell effect, darkness is always just a great big shadow, isn't it?
In this case, 2e, clearly saying you can't use Hide in Shadows in total darkness. Which given the size of the shadow we're talking about, might blot out stars.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
This leads to adventures having to become strings of combat set pieces, with much less focus on the story that connects them.
This isn't a rebuttal, it's just, I'm converting some old 2e modules for my upcoming 5e game (delayed until next month, boo) and "strings of combat set pieces" totally describes the one I'm working on now, so this comment amused me.

MuhVerisimilitude

Adventurer
If someone isn't the kind of person to feel fear from a mundane ability like the one you describe, then that person cannot be made to fear it short of magic. There's no way short of magic to explain why such an individual would feel that fear.

There's no way to model folks who wouldn't feel fear from your ability since everyone, even those who should be immune to a mundane ability like that, has to make a saving throw.
This makes no sense. Are you saying that there cannot mechanically exist a non-magical way to induce fear?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
This makes no sense. Are you saying that there cannot mechanically exist a non-magical way to induce fear?
Reliably invoking flight instead of fight in any species? Or pretty reliably in people who speak your language and maybe fight and maybe flight?

(Are you counting magic and supernatural as being different?)

MuhVerisimilitude

Adventurer
Reliably invoking flight instead of fight in any species? Or pretty reliably in people who speak your language and maybe fight and maybe flight?
This is a good template, borrowed from PF2.

"You can frighten foes so much, they might die. Attempt an Intimidation check against the Will DC of a living creature within 30 feet of you that you sense or observe and who can sense or observe you. If the target can't hear you or doesn't understand the language you are speaking, you take a –4 circumstance penalty. The creature is temporarily immune for 1 minute."

Note the penalty for no shared language and the fact that specific creatures might be immune (because they are not living) and some might have an immunity to emotional effects, which this is per the rules.

Edit: The above ability is non-magical.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That would be non-magical mind control. I mean, some sort of chemical concoction or drug could do it, since those things alter mental states. Someone yelling at my PC or trying to grab my character? That's simply not going to induce fear unless I choose for it to happen because of roleplay. It can't force fear.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think the poll is very very heavily skewed towards those not upgrading.

I would be very surprised indeed if the numbers after say two years aren't more like 90% upgrading 10% not.
I’m sure it’s skewed. There are many here who aren’t fans of 5e.
Why do you need a reason? Just say it’s not for you. Poof done.
So you think it’s fair to suggest others they shouldn’t offer any reasons for why they don’t like something? Why?

Or, and I’m just spitballing here, don’t immediately rush to tell everyone how 4e is terrible if someone in passing says something they happen to like about 4e?
I’m behind this 100%. But I have to say I often see the opposite. One person says I don’t like 4e because xyz and immediately they are told how terrible it is they think that/how wrong they are for thinking that/that 4e is awesome/etc.

Remove ads