Do you use the Monster Manual book when running an adventure?

Zappo

Explorer
If I've written the adventure I'm running, I'll have stat blocks ready for everything that the PCs might end up fighting. In any case, I DM from a networked laptop and keep sovelior's SRD open and ready.

the Jester

Legend
For a straight out of the book encounter, using the MM works great. I actually find the full, MM-style stat block much easier to use than the compressed block usually used in modules.

Aaron2

Explorer
Nifft said:
Yeah, I also prefer to cut-n-paste stuff from the SRD, but it lacks such critters as Beholders and Illithids. :mad:

I've been slowly adding additional monsters (from other books and the WOTC-only ones) to my SRD so mine is fairly extensive now.

Aaron

Gez

First Post
Yes. Unless customising a creature (adding template &| class levels &| special equipment), the MM entries are all you need, and they're easy enough to use.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Yes! I find the MM much more handy than a file on the computer.

I try to put down the essential statistics on note-paper, but usually I consult the entry for special abilities.

Longbow

First Post
I use mostly the book(s). I especially like to pull out the Tome of Horrors since the players aren´t familiar with it and I love the cover.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I don't like opening books during the game. I do stat blocks for all creatures and encounters. I almost always change something (advance a little here, template a little there, increase stats, different equipment, etc.).

Psion

Adventurer
dreaded_beast said:
When running your adventure, do you have the Monster Manual open while using a particular monster.

Yes. Or pull up the SRD on my laptop. (Sometimes I use third party books or closed creatures, so SRD is not an option.)

However, in regards to "cannon fodder" or semi-important NPCS, how easy/difficult do you think it would be to use the actual Monster Manual during a session instead of a stat block?

For cannon fodder, AFAIC, all you need is HP, AC, attack, and damage. Rarely, if ever, do skills become important for cannon fodder npcs unless they are ninjas or somesuch.

For otherwise obscure classed NPCs, I can usually figure that their best skill is class level +3.

If I need quick takes on more detailed characters, I use the Jamis Buck NPCgen.

Last edited:

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
I've been using the Quick Reference Cards from the D&D Miniatures Game a lot recently. Sometimes I find myself looking throught the cards I have and make an encounter when I find one that strikes my fancy. Last game, I used the cards almost exclusively (Abyssal Maw, Abyssal Eviscerator, Goblins, Chitine, Dire Ape, modified Cultists of the Dragon, Dwarven Axe Fighter, Cleric of Moradin (Mordrin in Dawnforge), etc.). The main NPCs get statted out, but for the most part, the cards work beautifully.

Remove ads