Do you use the Monster Manual book when running an adventure?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I've mentioned this before in threads about speeding up gameplay:

I always spend a few minutes before each session copying (by hand) the important portions of the stat block onto an index card for each foe or group of foes that the PC's will encounter. This means that I've already got the card ready to throw into the initiative order. It also means (because I'm the sort of person who remembers stuff much better once I've written it down) that I don't have to refer to the stats so often and can run things faster and more smoothly.

I do flip open the MM on the rare occasion where I make up an encounter on the spot.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
In a pinch, I could use the MM (or some other monster book) during play, but I find I'm more efficient and organized if I don't. Instead, I use a database I created for all monsters. That way I can print out the info in the format I want, and I don't have to juggle yet another book during the game. It also helps when I tweak creatures, which is well over half the time.

Orius

Legend
I just use the MM. It's faster for me if I don't have to write/type out stat blocks when prepping. I use to use index cards too, but I found that writing them up took up way too much time that was better spend on campaign development or converting old material. I do roll hps individually though, so my notes usually have little more than hps for the monsters and whatever weapons thet may be wielding.

StalkingBlue

First Post
I use the Monster Manual when I run monstrous monsters rather than NPCs - which doesn't happen a lot. Most of my encounters figure humanoids with class levels, usually groups with generic stats, plus a handcrafted boss and first (and possibly second etc.) lieutenant.

Edit: The PCs in my current game average 4th-5th level, so I don't have all that much room for Advancing and Templating - the bits of changes I do for monstrous monsters are straightforward enough to fit onto a sticky note to go on the monster description page, if they aren't merely a hp scribble on my run sheet for the night.

Last edited:

Remove ads