• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do your Enworld name and avatar reflect who you are?

Aitch Eye

First Post
Actually, I keep encountering myself staring out from Ankh-Morpork Guard's avatar.

To the extent that I always pick screen names and email addresses from terms in Cordwainer Smith stories, I suppose it must reflect something about me. I could deny that I'm the head of a millenia-old conspiracy of animal-derived humanoids, but it would never convince the conspiracy buffs. A few people have thought I'm just saying "Hi", which some probably think is stupid, but Manshonyagger probably wouldn't have impressed them either.

As for the avatar, only insofar as it's somewhat awkwardly composed. It's from an illustration by Boris Dolgov for Clark Ashton Smith's "Quest of the Gozolba" in an old Weird Tales(see it here). I just thought it looked nice as well as being reasonably clear and unlikely to be confused with others. Though the leader of the Aitch Eye was a sort of bird-man, his head was fairly human, and it only vaguely entered into the decision.

pogre

Legend
Pogre is my nickname from my college football days. I played guard, but as the smallest (weight-wise) starting player on the line at 270 lbs. the Offensive line coach started calling Ogre. My last name is Pogue and so it did not take long for the two to get combined.

My avatar is a miniature I painted a while back. I sold it on ebay and do not use Beholders, so I would have to say no - except as it is a painted mini.

Here is a new logo I recently commisioned for my website:

That's probably a little closer to the "real" me.

BSF

Explorer
Stephen Fox is the name of the PC I have been playing in a game for a few years now. Check it out, he is a Bard. I think you start to see where the name comes from. :)

The cool avatar by Sialia is a winged fox with a lute. In the game I play in, all of us play distant cousins from the Fox family. We are organized as a formal adventuring company with the adventurers guild. We chose the Company of the Winged Fox as our identity. So, the avatar reflects the character and the game. I use the same avatar on the groups personal messageboards.

tarchon

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
I've got a good post hoc explanation for my name. Cheiro is pronounced like the greek letters "Chi" and "Rho" which stand for the letters that begin the words "Challenge" and the word "Rating", respectively, but which look like an "X" and a "P." So when I got into a long discussion with Wulf Ratbane and others about the relationship between Challenge Ratings and XP, it seemed like my name was spookily appropriate.
You know it's also an alternate spelling for "chiromancer"?

Dimwhit

Explorer
Depending on who you talk to, my screen name is very appropriate. The second half is actually the first half of my last name, hence the slightly odd spelling. I used to have Homer Simpson as my avatar. Lately it's been a picture of my son. So I guess it relates quite a bit as to who I am. Of course, so did Homer...

My screen name grew out of a joke, so I think anyone who knows me would find that pretty appropriate.

As for my current avatar and user title, these were done in celebration of finally getting hired on by the company I'd been temping for for almost two years. It seemed like the whole "iconic ____" thing had finally stopped being trendy, and that's when I tend to jump on these things.

Galethorn

First Post
Turanil said:
Do your Enworld name and avatar reflect who you are?

Name: Yes, I'll explain in a moment.
Avatar: No, I'm not invisible...not yet at least.

So, where did I get the name? Well, it all started in 1999...

I was in 7th grade, just got a new game called Everquest, and was making my first character. I decided on a human ranger, and hit the random name generator a few times. It came up with "Galelorn", and I thought back to the 'made up modern style name' I had used for a short story I wrote, which was Jack Thorn. I changed the second L into a TH, and so I had Galethorn.

In the end, I didn't really like Everquest, but decided I was hooked on CRPGS, and moved on to Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. A year later I was playing D&D, and now I'm DMing a game at least twice a month...

Now, as for what Galethorn (which, contrary to what most people seem to think, is pronounced Ga-leh-thorn, or, if you want to know how the vowels go, think of it as "Gandalf-Lembas-Arathorn") means to me, well, here goes;

Galethorn is, essentially, me but better in most ways. He's stronger, faster, more courageous, wiser, and a little bit smarter...but not too much.

Now, I don't think I have much in the way of percieved deficiencies, being as tall and strong as I am, and with such splendiforous diction, but I don't go around killing orcs in my spare time, so any fantasy-setting interpretation of me would be inherently better at combat, and would probably have more life experience.

Anyway, so Galethorn is sort of my ultimate goal as a character in a fantasy roleplaying game, but I often play other sorts characters for variety, or so I don't feel like I'm shortchanging the concept with 30-point stats.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
My avatar is a photograph of myself.

My username is, um, well, my name is Corey and I get called "Core" by everyone and I run a campaign set in a world called Barsoom so "barsoomcore" is what I use as a login name pretty much everywhere.

But that's a photograph. Uh-huh. Of me. Oh yeah.

And I still think ledded looks like Sam Jackson.

Remove ads