• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

dobbelganger vs werebear

Luigiana

First Post
I was about to make a DG and a werebear.. a DG recieves monstrous levels which a werebear doesnt.. but does those monstrous levels count as LA too? or do you just get them for free and still only get the 5 LA a DG has normally?

emoplato

First Post
I was about to make a DG and a werebear.. a DG recieves monstrous levels which a werebear doesnt.. but does those monstrous levels count as LA too? or do you just get them for free and still only get the 5 LA a DG has normally?
They still count against class levels but a werebear actually does have racial hit die. They are the hit die of the animal you wish to become.

Luigiana

First Post
one more question.. a Dobbelganger with a LA of 4 and 4 monstrous level.. if i make a party where my players are level 10.. then what level is my dobbelganger?
or i might state it otherwise so there is no confusion.. my party should be level 10.. which means my party needs 55.000 xp to gain the next level.. my dobbelganger party member.. how many levels in rogue can he get? 2 or 6?

emoplato

First Post
As for strict experience point levels you would have two levels of rogue and four levels of monstrous humanoid. Whenever you have racial hit die most of the abilities of the monster are tied to them. So, you could technically fore go the racial hit die but you would have a useless doppelganger and lagging rogue. As for balance you could afford him to have a couple more levels of rogue. I was never enthralled with the doppelganger when you could easily have the polymorph spell or be tearing someone's face off with a druid or werebear while he is um.... pretending to be a low level race.

Remove ads