Doctor Who 2007: 42

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It was an OK episode, but I was fairly perturbed by what must have been going on in the spaceship designer's head when he put an essential control on the outside of the ship, just out of reach of the airlock!

Guy with a warped sense of humour, I guess.

Fast Learner

First Post
I enjoyed the episode. My only real annoyance was the computer reporting the time remaining at completely random intervals. I understand that the announcements actually fit into the real-time 42 minutes at scene breaks, but man, that's a computer I'd hate in real life.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Fast Learner said:
I enjoyed the episode. My only real annoyance was the computer reporting the time remaining at completely random intervals. I understand that the announcements actually fit into the real-time 42 minutes at scene breaks, but man, that's a computer I'd hate in real life.

And it appeared to be a specially designed "Solar Impact Countdown Timer", with a label on it and everything! Comes in handy a lot, does it? :D

Morrus said:
It was an OK episode, but I was fairly perturbed by what must have been going on in the spaceship designer's head when he put an essential control on the outside of the ship, just out of reach of the airlock!

Guy with a warped sense of humour, I guess.
If I got the scene right, the in-door control was destroyed by the sun-possessed crew man. Probably there would have been a further control in the Control room, but they first had to get past the locks.

The outside switch is placed so that someone outside could activate it without getting squished by the ship/capsule that uses it to dock.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
It was okay- the whole episode reminded me too much of the two-part Impossible Planet/Satan Pit arc from last season, which I felt was far better handled. I expect part of it has to do with the nature of the plot- people trapped in confined space, deal with threat. That's one of the shortcomings, I've noticed, of the new series' off-Earth plots for the most part- they feel so much more confined by their sets than I remember the old series interplanetary stories did (then again, its been awhile since I watched any of those, so it could just be nostalgia talking).

It did have some good bits- the Doctor and Martha, obviously, as others have mentioned, and the increasing mystery behind the enigmatic Mr. Saxon.

Previews seemed kind of blah to me, but I guess we'll see when we see. I think I'm just getting antsy for Captain Jack's return and the payoff on the Saxon plot.

JRR_Talking

First Post
Morrus said:
And it appeared to be a specially designed "Solar Impact Countdown Timer", with a label on it and everything! Comes in handy a lot, does it? :D

I thought that too?

unless given the nature of how they 'stole fuel' they'd had it made special as a warning device????

John

sniffles

First Post
I thought it was a very suspenseful episode. I really enjoyed what happened to the Doctor, particularly when he told Martha "I'm so scared" at one point. I liked him being really determined to save her, at the expense of everyone else or so it seemed. Yet when they were reunited in the TARDIS he seemed to go back to his old demeanor of treating her like she wasn't really important to him. I'm enjoying that exploration of his nature.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Cthulhudrew said:
That's one of the shortcomings, I've noticed, of the new series' off-Earth plots for the most part- they feel so much more confined by their sets than I remember the old series interplanetary stories did

Problem is, see, the quarry they used to use has been turned into a suburb - so where's a director to go?

:)

Remove ads