Doctor Who SE04 EP13 Journey's End - SPOILERS

Brakkart

First Post
Well that was entertaining at least. Some very cool bits (I loved the TARDIS towing Earth back into place!), and some very annoying bits (the Daleks got annihilated... AGAIN!). All in all a pretty good episode though I thought.

I liked the explanation for why the TARDIS is a bit erratic (and why the control panel is hexagonal) in that its meant to have 6 pilots. I liked that Mickey stayed on Earth1 at the end and got on with his life. I'm going to miss Donna Noble, she was a lot of fun in this and grew on me over the series. I liked the conversations between The Doctor and Davros. The goodbyes were well done, especially Donna and Mickeys ones.

I could have done without all the technobabble! The Supreme Dalek was a bit too easily destroyed, I'd have thought he'd be tougher than his underlings. I hate that again the Daleks got wiped out with seemingly no survivors. I'd have liked subtitles for when the german woman was speaking to Martha.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I liked that Mickey stayed on Earth1 at the end and got on with his life.

That opens an interesting possibility: it looks like Martha is off to Torchwood now, but I think it would also be good if Mickey moved there, too. He's no longer the comedy 'robot dog' he was two years ago, and the by-play with Jack was really good. Do that, and perhaps we can have a lighter Jack going forward, which would be to the benefit of Torchwood, I think.

I'm going to miss Donna Noble, she was a lot of fun in this and grew on me over the series.

A few months ago, I never would have thought I'd be sad to see her leave. Brilliant work there.

Brakkart

First Post
That opens an interesting possibility: it looks like Martha is off to Torchwood now, but I think it would also be good if Mickey moved there, too. He's no longer the comedy 'robot dog' he was two years ago, and the by-play with Jack was really good. Do that, and perhaps we can have a lighter Jack going forward, which would be to the benefit of Torchwood, I think.

Yeah and with Torchwood down two members as of the end of season 2, they would fit right in. As they are now, they would both be assets to the Torchwood team.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Yeah and with Torchwood down two members as of the end of season 2, they would fit right in. As they are now, they would both be assets to the Torchwood team.
They'd fit in quite well. Martha has already filled in for Owen as medical officer, and while Mickey doesn't have Tosh's level of computer skills, we have seen him do a fair bit of computer hackery here and there in the past.

delericho

Legend
German daleks! It doesn't get any cooler than that :D

That was awesome.

I kinda wished they'd subtitled the German conversation between Martha and her contact, though. I got most of what was being said through context (and the roughly six words of German I know), but would have preferred to have got the rest.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
That was awesome.

I kinda wished they'd subtitled the German conversation between Martha and her contact, though. I got most of what was being said through context (and the roughly six words of German I know), but would have preferred to have got the rest.

We happened to have the BBC subtitles turned on for that scene, and here (more or less) is what she said:

"Venn ist das nurnstuck git und slotermeyer? Ya! Beigerhund das oder die flipperwaldt gersput!"

;)

Brakkart

First Post
Fact file on the episode from the BBC official website has all these fun facts, including a translation of the german conversation:

Davros

Julian Bleach, who plays Davros, appeared in an RSC production of The Tempest opposite Patrick Stewart... who was one of several actors mistakenly rumoured to be playing the evil genius. Sir Ben Kingsley was another name incorrectly attached to the role. Julian previously appeared in the Torchwood episode Out Of The Rain, as the Ghost Maker.

Keep It In The Family

Eve Myles, who plays Gwen Cooper in Torchwood, also played Gwyneth in series one episode The Unquiet Dead. The Doctor comments on spacial genetic multiplication when he asks her about her family coming from Cardiff, implying that Gwyneth is indeed a relative or past incarnation of Gwen. This finally clears up the connection many of you would have noticed between the two.

The Cult Of Skaro

That's now two members now of the former 'Cult of Skaro' that have seen the Daleks for what they truly are - first Dalek Sec in Evolution of the Daleks (2007), and now Dalek Caan.

Accidents Will Happen

What happened to Davros has only ever been referred to by himself as 'an accident'. The original draft of the script did show Davros as the man he once was, and what happened to him...

Reunion

Davros recalls seeing Sarah Jane Smith on Skaro, when he first created the Daleks. This is, of course, a nod to the classic 1975 story Genesis of The Daleks, in which the Fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane travelled to Skaro in order to stop the Daleks ever being created.

Take Control

It's sometimes been claimed that TARDISes are designed to be flown by six pilots (eg, in the 1992 novel Doctor Who - Cat's Cradle: Time's Crucible), although this is the first time this has been confirmed in the TV series.

Grow Your Own

In the original script, the Doctor gave Rose's Doctor a small piece of 'coral' from the TARDIS so that he could create his own Time/Space machine from it.

What's In A Name?

'Osterhagen' just happens to be an anagram of 'Earth's Gone'.

Bay Watch

For the Bad Wolf Bay scenes towards the end of the episode, the crew returned to the beach at Southerndown, a few miles west of Cardiff. They previously filmed there for Rose's departure in Series Two's Doomsday.

Half Human?

Those of you who have been slightly bothered for the last 12 years by the comment made by the Eighth Doctor in the TV Movie that he was half human on his mother's side, can probably breathe a sigh of relief now. The Doctor #2 seems shocked that he has become uniquely half human due to the biological metacrisis wth Donna, strongly suggesting that he never was before.

German Lesson

If you were wondering about some of the dialogue during Martha's trip to Germany, Script Editor Lindsey Alford and Kevin Myers offer these handy translations!:

FX: way off in the distance, DALEKS, in the air, gliding slowly through the trees.

DALEKS: Exterminieren! Exterminieren! Halt! Sonst werden wir Sie exterminieren! Sie sind jetzt ein Gefangener der Daleks! Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

Translation: Exterminate! Exterminate! Stop! Or you will be exterminated. You are a prisoner of the Daleks. Exterminate! Exterminate!

Martha heads off in the opposite direction. Scurrying away into the darkness. On a mission.

OLD WOMAN: Hier ist niemand. Was immer Sie wollen, gehen Sie fort. Lassen Sie mich in Ruhe.

Translation: There's no one here. Whatever you want, just go away. Leave me alone.

The OLD WOMAN's hostile, standing on the path.

MARTHA: Ich heisse Martha Jones. Ich komme von UNIT. Agentin fuenf sechs sechs sieben eins, von der medizinishen Abteilung.

Translation: I'm called Martha Jones. I come from UNIT. Agent 5, 6, 6, 7, 1. Medical officer.

OLD WOMAN: Es hiess Sie kaemen vorbei.

Translation: They said you might come.

OLD WOMAN: Sie sind der Albtraum. Nicht die anderen, Sie! Ich sollte Sie umbringen, am besten gleich jetzt!

Translation: You are the nightmare. It's not them, it's you! I should kill you right now!

MARTHA: Then do it.

And Martha just steps into the lift.

The Old Woman lowers her gun, defeated, shaking.

OLD WOMAN: Marta. Zur Hoelle mit Dir.

Translation: Martha. You're going straight to Hell.

Remove ads