Doctor Who SE04 EP13 Journey's End - SPOILERS

Jarrod

First Post
In fact, the first time he meets a Dalek after the war, he is set out to kill it. It's Rose stopping him...

Exactly. Didn't they mention that it was Rose (and then Martha and Donna, presumably) that have been giving the Doctor back his balance? The 9th doctor was willing to kill to solve his problems, but the 10th has been a relative pacifist?

Fast Learner

First Post
I really not one to nitpick, generally, but I was bother by being pretty sure the moon wouldn't just sit there, perfectly in place for bringing the Earth back.

Yeah, I know, very fanboy, since I'm fine with the time travel and all the general pseudo-science. But that moon sure bugged me. :)

Very enjoyable two-parter, and a very nice sign-off by Davies.

horacethegrey

First Post
ARGH. Very late again. Chalk it up to not being ablle to log on Enworld from my home computer for some reason.

But enough of my moaning, here's what I thought of this here season finale. I liked it. Some nice bits in it, but plenty of stuff I didn't care for. Mainly:

- Rose and Doctor number two. Augh. What the hell is this? Fanfic? Couldn't they have resolved Rose's plotline in a another way that wouldn't have fangirls squeeing to the high heavens? I also felt it cheapened in a way her return, after all the buildup they'd done this season. Not cool.

- Too many guest stars. I've no problem with seeing Freema Agyeman, John Barrowman, Elisabeth Sladen and all the other fine actors who've graced the news series. But seeing all of them at once really clutters the story and muddles it's focus.

But now, to the bits I did like:

- Donna. Oh dear, that had to be the saddest exit for a companion that I've seen. I know the Doctor was only trying save her, but still it seemed rather cruel of him to just wipe out all traces of their time together from her mind. Really hope this isn't the last time we see the Temp from Chiswick, she was by far my favorite in the new series.

- Davros. By jove, they actually made him menacing. Just loved how he taunted the Doctor here. While I could never care for him in the old series, I really hope he returns in the new series once more.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
- Rose and Doctor number two.

(snip)

- Davros. By jove, they actually made him menacing.

I agree on both counts.

Normally I don't mind ending on, what is the English idiom… a good snog. But that was silly and kind of sad, actually. Especially given the pathos of the Doctor’s and Rose’s separation at the end of Doomsday. It did seem like a sop thrown to those fans most incessant about getting the two character’s back together.

Davros’s rant about “the destruction of reality itself” was fun. But the scheme itself is keeping with Davros – right back to the virus speech in Genesis. I wonder what he and the Dalak’s had planned for after the destruction of the universe. Were they just going to sit around and look at each other?

Fast Learner

First Post
Davros’s rant about “the destruction of reality itself” was fun. But the scheme itself is keeping with Davros – right back to the virus speech in Genesis. I wonder what he and the Dalak’s had planned for after the destruction of the universe. Were they just going to sit around and look at each other?

Yeah, like any conquering peoples, things get awfully dull when there's nothing left to conquer. Until they begin to turn on themselves.

I agree on both counts.

Normally I don't mind ending on, what is the English idiom… a good snog. But that was silly and kind of sad, actually. Especially given the pathos of the Doctor’s and Rose’s separation at the end of Doomsday. It did seem like a sop thrown to those fans most incessant about getting the two character’s back together.

We'll never know. What would we do if we figured out there was nothing else besides us?

Richards

Legend
I got to see this tonight on SciFi. I thought it was a very cool episode, with some interesting twists. I liked the Doctor-Donna (and Catherine did a great job "channeling" the Tenth Doctor in her performance), but there was no way she could be permitted to stay in that state beyond this episode. Likewise with the half-human Doctor - it would have diluted the series significantly to have him hanging around the Tenth Doctor in the TARDIS from this point on; much better to send him off with Rose in the parallel dimension. (And now we need never visit that parallel dimension again.) Davros was well-played as well, and destroying the rest of the universe seemed like a pretty cool "shortcut" (from his point of view) - he'd already conquered 27 planets/moons, so it's much easier to destroy the rest of the universe than to go to the trouble of having to conquer each remaining planet the hard way, right?

So...Cybermen in the next Christmas special, then, right? Any hints as to who the next companion is going to be?

Johnathan

Remove ads