Doctor Who SE04 EP13 Journey's End - SPOILERS

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That opens an interesting possibility: it looks like Martha is off to Torchwood now, but I think it would also be good if Mickey moved there, too. He's no longer the comedy 'robot dog' he was two years ago, and the by-play with Jack was really good. Do that, and perhaps we can have a lighter Jack going forward, which would be to the benefit of Torchwood, I think.

You're in luck. He and Martha are in next years' Torchwood cast.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I like the way that daleks have been brought back in earlier series, but each time they were running out of additional options.

I remember at the end of series 1 the Doctor was going to wipe out the daleks, but couldn't bring himself to (and Rose stepped up to the plate). I wonder if the 2nd Doctor in this episode found it so morally easy to destroy the daleks because he was part human?

Overall I enjoyed it, but it seemed to suffer from a common problem in the finale scripts. I mean, just like last year the doctors friends get a plan (or two plans) together, but are foiled by the bad guys.

Also, like in season 1 finale (saved by doctors assistant), season 3 finale (saved by doctors assistant) we have season 4 finale (saved... by doctors assistant).

The writer is good on the details and the human interaction, but weak on the main plot ending IMO.

One nice twist though - having set everything up as if Donna was going to die, it turns out that the reason all those people (Rose, River) were sorry for her was because they knew that she was going to have all memory, all experience of the doctor, wiped from her. The ending was tragic enough to have my dear wife sobbing.

n.b. a slight noise halfway through alerted us to the fact that my young daughters had crept downstairs and were watching through the door. "This is great!" they said when captured. "Not scary at all! I loved it when the girl went into the lava!". They were sent to bed, but I was secretly quite proud of them :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hmmm.... it was fun.

Yet another episode where the Doctor was more an observer than anything else. He didn't do anything to save the day. I don't know why he always takes the credit and everybody respects him so much!

I loved him towing the Earth home - a demonstration of Time Lord power. Sometimes he needs to show why he's who he is by doing something like that.

All the Daleks dead again.... yeah.

Why did they invade earth? I can't comprehend their motive for it. All they had to do was move earth. what's the point of invading for 10 miutes and then disappearing again? If they were worried earth might somehow fight back (which I doubt) then could could have just not maintained the atmosphere with that firled thing they technobabbles for why everyone was still alive when the Earth moved. Seems they went to a lot of trouble to protect the humans with the atmospheric shield when they moved the planet, especially so they could fly down, lord it over them for a couple of hours, befoe flying back to the fleet and erasing all of reality.

Cybermen in the Xmas Special!

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
That was pretty cool.. Not quite how I expected it to end, and the bit about not telling Donna anything seemed a bit strained, especially since the whole Rachnos thing is a bit hard to go without mentioning. Unless Londoners have gotten so completely ambivalent about alien invasions that they no longer warrant conversation.

Still, nice to see ends tied up.

Can't wait for December.

Staffan

Legend
I remember at the end of series 1 the Doctor was going to wipe out the daleks, but couldn't bring himself to (and Rose stepped up to the plate). I wonder if the 2nd Doctor in this episode found it so morally easy to destroy the daleks because he was part human?
As I recall (been a while since I saw it), the reason the 9th Doctor didn't wipe out the Daleks in season 1 was that he couldn't do it without also wiping out half of Earth's population.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
...Oh, like that'll stick... How many times have we seen "The Last of the Daleks" before? They'll be back next season, somehow.

More likely Davros himself had a contingency plan in place and survived yet again and can rebuild them "better, stronger, faster."

Wonder if Dalek Caan survived- probably not, but that would be interesting to have him go on and working against the other Daleks and Davros.

Cthulhudrew

First Post

I think it's like the Doctor said- this one was "born" in a time of war, and had to make some hard decisions. Recall that Nine had eliminated the Daleks during the Time War, and it wasn't until (as Ten said here) Rose had an effect on him that brought him out of that mindset.

So he's always had it in him to do it if the situation was dire enough, it's just that he's had people around him lately to remind him that there's always hope and a better way.

Felon

First Post
Thought it was pretty disappointing on the whole, with lots of cop-outs. Davies went out jerking the fans along, offering lots of ominous foreshadowing about the inevitable direness of upcoming events, then pulling a big "psych". If you're gonna keep telling us a companion's going to die, then kill off a companion already.

Remove ads