• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who Season 6 (SPOILERS :p)

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Yes, I utterly hate the intro. What's more, it makes it seem like it's Amy's story, rather than the Doctor's, as though the show hadn't existed for decades before she was even born.

Fast Learner

First Post
The revelation of the Siren. Agh. Another scifi explanation for a monster? Can't we have a straight up monster without a scifi bent?

Is that something they ever do on Doctor Who? I can't remember a single episode where the explanation was left to the supernatural. It's a sci-fi show, hence the bend.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
FastLearner: As a long time watcher of Doctor Who, you are essentially correct. Most Monsters come from a scifi background on Doctor Who. The Loch ness monster is for example a creature supposeldy brought with the Zygons. (although there are other explanations from within Dr Who).

The most natural monster I can think of is the Giant Kraken beast from 'The Power of Kroll'. Was originally a an average sized acquatic to the huge beast it was due to the effects of the Key of Time. THats about as natural as we get. And that episode is very old now.

I also disagree with old series companions being gophers and window dressing. Im sure some could be described as that, but from the 70's onwards the Doctors female companions in particular embraced a lot of the concepts of feminism and womens rights. Jo Grant, Sarah Janes, Leela and onwards were definetly a new 'type' of female companion. Leela in particular challenged the Doctor on many occasions as well as helping him out with her combat skills. I think you are looking at 2 different time periods and attempting to find similarity. Tv making is a lot different nowadays, thus the companions reflect the times.

What has concerned me more are some of the Male companions. We went from ADric (Mathermatical genius but generally disliked by viewers) to Turlough (one of my favorites who had a quantum shift in character direction, most people wouldnt like him). The New series decided quite early on that it would be best if a female companion accompanied the Doctor. I could see why. We had a new companion of sorts in Adam who lasted 1 additional episode. We also had Rose's ex.. In Mickey. I liked this companion a lot, I think due to the fact that less Doctor Who is made now.. it just didnt seem like he stayed around long. His personality though again like Turlough had a great change.

Now we have Rory who is perhaps a little more level headed than Amy. Would I like to see a Doctor / Rory story without Amy being in the episode? Sure. Would be interesting to see what happens without her influence.

[MENTION=34175]Thunderfoot[/MENTION]: Romana (of which we have 1 or 2)

Remove ads