D&D 5E Does a D&D Videogame have to be turn-based?

Should the next D&D videogame use a turn-based mechanic?

• Yes. Turn-based FTW!

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • No. I don't want turns in my videogames.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Other; I will explain in the comments.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I am not a number! I am free man! Your polls do not constrain me!

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Poll closed .
IIRC, Baldur's Gate (etc) wasn't, and neither was Neverwinter Nights. The Baldur's Gate series and its spinoffs include some of the best D&D games ever made (Planescape Torment, etc.) so I'm going with no, it doesn't have to be turn based.

(Assuming by turn-based you mean "without a spacebar pause" as those games all had that so you could make it kinda turn-based).

I think they had turns going on behind the scenes, but the player didn't deal in turns. Or was there an option which let you turn turns on?
There was an option to make them fully turn-based, at least for the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale series of games. I believe, but not 100% sure, that Planescape: Torment had it as well. Honestly, using the spacebar pause was actually easier, and it was, as you said, still using a turned-based format in the background, just it wasn't terribly noticeable if you weren't looking closely.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Maybe it's my age, the less time I can spend on my phone the better. I like games on my computer machine.

That could be because I associate it with work though.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I would totally consider those games turned based though, and any significant battle was paused in between turns. This video is a perfect example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ94ki5_AiI

For single player that was true, but NWN and NWN 2 had great multiplayer options that were not pause and play including living world servers. So I'm in the turn based is not "necessary" camp because I think there are good examples of successful fun D&D games that both had and didn't have turn based combat.

Sacrosanct

Legend
For single player that was true, but NWN and NWN 2 had great multiplayer options that were not pause and play including living world servers. So I'm in the turn based is not "necessary" camp because I think there are good examples of successful fun D&D games that both had and didn't have turn based combat.

Well, multiplayer brings a whole nother aspect to it. Personally, I'd want a single player party based game. There are tons of multiplayer, including a D&D multiplayer (that's not that great IMO). And if you have multiplayer primarily, you're turning away a ton of gamers who aren't able/don't want to play with a group of people.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Well, multiplayer brings a whole nother aspect to it. Personally, I'd want a single player party based game. There are tons of multiplayer, including a D&D multiplayer (that's not that great IMO). And if you have multiplayer primarily, you're turning away a ton of gamers who aren't able/don't want to play with a group of people.

Both NWN and NWN2 had great singleplayer party based campaigns. The also had great multiplayer. the two are not mutually exclusive.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I don't think it necessarily has to be turn based, but I don't want to see a game where everything is on a cooldown. That is actually the most important part IMO, that you have slots and spells and everything but not cooldowns.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
For me an important part of a D&D game would be the team based aspect, with different PCs having different roles. It can be incredibly hard to control multiple characters without a turn-based system.

Several D&D games historically had a hybrid system that worked well - you could set PCs on auto if you wanted (or if the combat was effectively over) and then pause and go back to turn based if necessary. So give me the ability to micro-manage if I need it, but also have general behaviors I can set if I'm lazy.

Of course if I were developing the game every party would also be required to have at least one lawful good dual-rapier wielding gnomish paladin. Is there going to be a poll for that as well?

It had to be turn based otherwise it won't feel like DnD. There are enough games out there with cool downs and/or button mashing. I'd love an accurate, turn based DnD pc game, I don't care about consoles really, for stuff like this PC is best

5a494b59c34a8214849821e7841aa2f25710c574fae2c7ec1883b95e79c91bc0.jpg

Hillsy7

First Post
I’ve said it a few times on the other threads but I think it bears repeating: elements of the tabletop experience fundamentally alter the perception of some mechanical outcomes. To use a single issue – the To-Hit mechanic – we can see that a reasonably high probability of failure (30% plus) is managed perfectly well at the table where a ‘miss’ is narratively fulfilling to the group (See critical role: the return of Liam where Travis was rolling nothing but Nat 1s and the group were in pieces laughing – I was cooking dinner and watching and I was pissing myself too.). Failure feels fun.

However, at a computer without the narrative interface, even a relatively low miss chance feels bad – I’m playing Divinity and I start stressing if my to-hit probability drops below 80% because otherwise I might waste that turn, and three or 4 in a row and it feels like the game is being unfair. Imagine the fun at the table of making 5 attacks in an encounter, and each time rolling 1-5 while only needing a 7 to hit – hilarious. Imagine Dungeon crawling on the new D&D turn-based game and that happens…….well, it wouldn’t because you’d rage reload after the 4th miss (also worth noting that games built on 3.x mechanics didn’t have this issue so much because with BaB you’re first attack could be +25, all but guaranteeing a hit)

This has massive repercussions for whether or not a game based on the D&D mechanics should be turn-based or not. Why? Because a high miss rate is most easily solved by running in Real Time – the maths are hidden away and you’ve got 6 people to manage (even with autopause and combat text), so you only really notice the miss rate over a longer time period, and by then hopefully the law of averages has balanced out the result. If, however, you choose to address this in the fundamental guts of D&D probability, you a) risk unbalancing the game, b) stop it feeling like D&D, and c) create a riskless chess game where no one misses, so it’s simply a case of stacking up DPR on either side and seeing who wins first.

Player experience is important. I think Bungie (?) group tested a new weapon and people said it was underpowered and didn’t do enough damage. All they did was increased the volume – the group said it was perfect. Similarly here, at the table a miss ‘feels’ as good as a hit – the loud gun feels suitably powered. And if you’re going to significantly alter the game mechanics to compensate, why are you sticking to a D&D IP that restricts you elsewhere?

So if the answer is, generally, turn-based (and D&D is fundamentally turn-based) then the most important question is: Is a turn based D&D video game going to be Fun? My answer to that is probably: Unlikely.

Remove ads