does anyone else think half-orcs get gypped?

AbeTheGnome said:
i tend to hand out extra racial bonuses to other underpowered races as well. power-creeping it may be, but you've got to give them something to even out with dwarves.

Well, instead of giving the other races bonuses, you could take something away from the dwarves. :)

I know it seems like heresey to have a DM nerf an entire race, but taking away the racial weapon familiarity and the ability to have full movement in heavy armor puts the dwarf right back in line with the other races.

AbeTheGnome

First Post
actually, i do take some things away from dwarves. darkvision, for one. that's more of a flavor thing, though, because it doesn't really make sense for my campaigns.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don't think it's a question of the half-orc actually being underpowered. It's a question of them being underflavored compared to the other non-humans.
The skill bonuses that elves, dwarves, halfllings, and gnomes get aren't very powerful abilities, but they add nice flavor.

I think the half-orc should get a +2 to Intimidate and Climb (in 1st ed, they were the best climbers as I recall). I'd also consider a +2 to Survival.

NilesB

First Post
Both the dwarf and the Half Orc (and in fact most core races) have penalties that function more as limitations on the role that they can fill than that have any effect when they are playing their optimal role.

NilesB said:
Both the dwarf and the Half Orc (and in fact most core races) have penalties that function more as limitations on the role that they can fill than that have any effect when they are playing their optimal role.

Most people don't consider wimpy dwarven sorcerers to be a significant dwarven weakness. (With the high hit points, I need to find a word other than "wimpy".)

NilesB

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Most people don't consider wimpy dwarven sorcerers to be a significant dwarven weakness. (With the high hit points, I need to find a word other than "wimpy".)
But they do consider wimpy Half Orc Sorcerors to be a significant Half-Orcish weakness. How fair is that?

NilesB said:
But they do consider wimpy Half Orc Sorcerors to be a significant Half-Orcish weakness. How fair is that?

They do? :confused:

Now, it is worth noting that dwarves have the option to be half decent wizards if they want to (actually, pretty awesome ones with the Races of Stone book). Half-orcs really have no options for arcane casting, even if they wanted to.

Remove ads