• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Anyone Speak Arabic?

DarkSoldier

First Post
I need a name, of which the English translation is "Son of the Falcon." I know it will start with Ibn Al'_______, but every Arabic dictionary I've searched online only has the Arabic alphabet.

DarkSoldier

First Post
Thank you! I'm going to add that site to my list of references; I have a few characters of Arabic ethnicity, and I want to make them as authentic as I can.

gothmar

First Post
saqr it is, though note that the "s" is aspirated (a "sad" not a "sin"; tongue is forward of where it normally would be.) which isn't much of a big deal, except that if this did happen to be a "sin" the name would be ibn as-saqr. as is, you're right; ibn (or bin) al-saqr. son of falcons, btw, would be ibn al-suquur. take your pick.

woodelf

First Post
gothmar said:
saqr it is, though note that the "s" is aspirated (a "sad" not a "sin"; tongue is forward of where it normally would be.) which isn't much of a big deal, except that if this did happen to be a "sin" the name would be ibn as-saqr. as is, you're right; ibn (or bin) al-saqr. son of falcons, btw, would be ibn al-suquur. take your pick.

Could you be clearer? AFAIK, the 's' in 'sad' and 'sin' are pronounced identically. And when i move my tongue forward from the 's' position, i don't get a different 's', i get a soft 'th'.

johnsemlak

First Post
woodelf said:
Could you be clearer? AFAIK, the 's' in 'sad' and 'sin' are pronounced identically. And when i move my tongue forward from the 's' position, i don't get a different 's', i get a soft 'th'.
No, the 's' in sad and sin are not pronounced identically.

Try saying both. The tongue is just a bit more forward for sad than sin. As noted above, it's a result of more aspiration (more air blowing out your mouth).

KidCthulhu

First Post
Think of the s in saqr as being very heavy on your tongue. And it resonates in the jowels. Try puffing your cheeks out with the sound of the s, so that its a dull, thudding consonant, instead of a whistling one. That's the difference between the two s' in Arabic.

It's been a long time since I've spoken it, and I was never very good with it. Never got the chance to pick up the ear for it.

Remove ads