• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dollhouse #3:Stage Fright/ Season 1/2009

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
3264605492_2bb986a990_m.jpg

Stage Fright

Writers:Maurissa Tancharoen, Jed Whedon

Director:Steven S. DeKnight
Stars:Eliza Dushku (Echo)
Tahmoh Penikett (Paul Ballard)
Olivia Williams (Adelle DeWitt)
Fran Kranz (Topher Brink)
Harry J. Lennix (Boyd Langton)
Enver Gjokaj (Lubov)
Dichen Lachman (Sierra)

Recurring Role:Amy Acker (Dr. Claire Saunders)
Echo becomes a backup singer to watch out for a female singing sensation with a very overzealous fan. Agent Ballard's investigation takes a turn for the worse.

Last edited:

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I only caught about 20 minutes of it, but it was a painful 20 minutes. I am convinced that Joss Wheadon has been kidnapped and and replaced by his evil twin, who has no imagination, no wit, and no writing talent. The cliches are having a field day (as another Eco would have it!).

I'm afraid that unless the quality steps up quite a bit, I'll have to find other ways to satisfy my Friday night science fiction jones.

Blastin

First Post
Wow....I'm starting to feel like I must be brain damaged as I am liking this show. There seems to be a lot of subtle little pieces. I'm having fun trying to figure out where this is going. Guess I'm just easily entertained ;)

Crothian

First Post
Wow....I'm starting to feel like I must be brain damaged as I am liking this show. There seems to be a lot of subtle little pieces. I'm having fun trying to figure out where this is going. Guess I'm just easily entertained ;)

I'm the same way. It is easily the best show on Fridays. :D

LightPhoenix

First Post
Once again, I'm ambivalent about the episode. I don't have a lot of time to type, so if it's a little rambling I apologize.

I thought this was the strongest episode so far, despite IMO some pretty major flaws.

The first act, as seems usual for this show, was painfully dull. Like others, I almost stopped watching, however once they got to the actual engagement the pace picked up.

I liked that they actually used names pointedly. I think if they actually had characters say Echo's persona's name more often, I might find it more believable she is a new person. See: Sierra/Audrey.

The biggest thing that bothers me about this episode (and this show) is Ballard. Despite Helo Ballard kicking some ass, the show paints a very non-conciliatory picture of him. He's apparently this giant screw-up who can't get anything right, and gets assigned to a nothing case. Yet, Dollhouse is not only worried about him, but they send Viktor to throw him off the track? That makes no sense, and it makes the whole storyline nonsensical.

I actually enjoyed the take on the diva and Echo's solution to it. My only complaint is that it should have been a little more subtle and nuanced. The writing in this episode was extremely ham-fisted; perhaps that was what they were going for, I don't know.

Lachman is much better than Dushku at adopting personas. I have a feeling this might be the case for Gjokajas well, but we have yet to see.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads