• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DollHouse #! Ghost Season 1/2009

dravot

First Post
We liked it enough to want to watch it more. Eliza may not have oscar-worthy acting chops, but she was good enough for the show to work.

The show was vaguely lacking in the traditional Joss Whedon humor. I hope we see more of it in future shows. It won't ever have the humor levels of Buffy or Angel, but I'm hoping for a bit more.

Dire Bare

Legend
I watched the premiere on Hulu, and enjoyed it lots! Each imprinted personality was interesting, and the larger mystery of the Dollhouse and the crazy guy at the end pulled me right in.

I disagree with just about everybody on Dusku's talent. I actually didn't like her character in Buffy, but I think she did a fine job so far in Dollhouse. The only part that seemed overplayed was Echo's original personality in the first few minutes, it seemed very angsty Faith-like. The "blank" Echo was wan, sleepy-eyed, and wandery . . . . but that just emphasizes what is going on here and came across both sad and creepy to me.

I am looking forward to more episodes, but I don't have high hopes for the show. It's complex and critics seem to want to hate it, and viewers are fickle. Plus they put it in the Friday night "death slot", which doesn't help. I'm crossing my fingers this lasts at least a full season!!! I bet the "Dollhouse - Complete Series" DVD released late this year sells like gangbusters though!!! (joke, kinda)

I watched the premiere on Hulu, and enjoyed it lots! Each imprinted personality was interesting, and the larger mystery of the Dollhouse and the crazy guy at the end pulled me right in.

I disagree with just about everybody on Dusku's talent. I actually didn't like her character in Buffy, but I think she did a fine job so far in Dollhouse. The only part that seemed overplayed was Echo's original personality in the first few minutes, it seemed very angsty Faith-like.

Yes, that was the personality I didn't like either. Or rather, whose/which portrayal didn't work for me. Maybe it would have been better within a context, but it seemed mostly overplayed.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
It wasn't terribly clear there were going to be male "actives" because of the publicity so strongly playing up sex appeal. When they started naming the actives with US Military alphabet I was worried they would get to "Mike" or "Papa" and have to do something just . . . wrong. ;) So by showing "Alpha" as a rogue male active helped me some with this little quirk. Still, . . .

Krug

Newshound
I enjoyed it, though I thought the first half was rather slow. Dushku isn't going to win any awards, but I liked the show's storyline.
particularly since it isn't just about her rushing in and kicking everyone's butt right off.
Intriguing enough to keep me watching, frankly.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I didn't mind Dushku too much, but then I never thought she was that great to begin with. What I am more concearned about is I just don't get the point of the show. Yes, I get the concept of the Dollhouse but I don't get premise of the show. Is it about weekly adventures of Dushku in different situations? Is it about discovering the truth about the Dollhouse? If so why? Is it supposed to be a combination of both? If so why and can they do both justice? Its only been one episode, but I haven't found the hook yet. I will give it a little longer though.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Its only been one episode, but I haven't found the hook yet. I will give it a little longer though.

I think that hits the nail on the head in my opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of Whedon. I've only watched sporadic episodes of Buffy and Angel due to an ex-gf, which tended to vary widely in quality. Firefly I'm a huge fan of, but aside from the pilot I don't think it really hits its stride until the sixth episode (Our Mrs. Reynolds). Dr. Horrible is genius, IMO. So there's a little background regarding my exposure; take it as you will.

This episode wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I'd give it a five; not bad, but the show has to improve for me to keep watching it.

Dushku was serviceable, but not great. The biggest problem specifically with her acting was her line delivery. She's just not nuanced enough in her speaking to carry this episode. Physically I thought she did a good job. This could be overlooked, but there were other problems with the episode as well that did it in. It also didn't help that Penikett and Lennix (and to a lesser extent, Kranz) danced circles around her.

I have a hard time believing that this is a pilot, having seen Dr. Horrible and Firefly. A pilot, in my opinion, has two jobs; introduce the world and the premise, and draw in viewers. I didn't feel this episode was not particularly strong on the second point.

I enjoyed the concept of Echo as negotiator, and that none of the jobs were military in nature. However, this left the episode feeling very mellow, and that's not good for a pilot episode. It doesn't help that by the nature of the episode, it requires more emotional range than Dushku seemed able to give. Still, the most engaging parts of this episode were the parts where stuff was happening - the kidnapping, the rescue, Helo Paul in the bathroom intimidating a guy, Echo being recruited. The energy fell off unbelievably in the spaces in between. All in all, this would have made a much better second or third episode - after you've got a lot of build-up, you need to cool it down.

The other big problem of the episode was that it didn't start out with much of a bang. The recruitment scene was great, but the girlfriend scene simply blew. There was absolutely nothing redeeming about it. Five minutes into the show, I was wondering what the point was, and that's not good. It would have been much better off to simply lead with the negotiation, and I think it would have been a better narrative choice as well. Okay, I know they had to show us (and not tell us) that they were wiped clean after each mission, but they could have at least started with the wipe.

Finally, we've got this world, and it seems interesting (if a little bright, visually). However, I had a hard time understanding what the point of the episode was. There wasn't really any emotional resonance with any of the characters, and so I don't particularly feel invested in finding out what happens next. Part of that perhaps is the premise - your main protagonist, by virtue of the premise, has no personality. That prevents any sort of real investment. I suppose I would say that the characters felt very one-dimensional, and while I understand it's practically impossible to have three-dimensional characters in a pilot episode, I would expect they would have a little depth to them, especially from an experienced writer like Whedon.

All in all, while I bought into the premise, there wasn't any real hook to keep me watching. That's a big problem for a pilot. I'm willing to give it a shot, mostly on the good graces of Firefly. However, this is nowhere near that caliber of show and I doubt it ever will be. Since Firefly hit its stride after six episodes, that's how long I'll give Dollhouse to prove itself.

A couple of other random bits:

Dushku wasn't the only one suffering from poor acting; the actor who played the father wasn't very good either. I'm not a huge fan of the director lady's acting either. I think that hurt the storyline as a whole.

Aside from Echo and Sierra, I never got a handle on anyone's name; I had to look up most of them. Again, not good from a resonance standpoint.

I enjoyed the introduction of Paul, and the intercuts with the boxing match. However, I'm a big proponent of "show, don't tell" in storytelling. I'd rather have had the scene where he screws up the human trafficking investigation first, and the chewout afterward.

Yes, I'm aware of the cognitive dissonance between the last paragraph and my earlier issue with the first "engagement" being boring and starting with the wipe. The difference is, the first assignment sucked, and I'm pretty sure Tahmoh Penikett would not.

I'm no profiler or criminalist or anything, but even I know that in kidnapping cases (at least in the US) it's very often someone close to the victim. I was expecting it to be the head of security, and I'll admit I felt a little cheated when it was some random guy. Take a pointer or two from the crime procedurals.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm no profiler or criminalist or anything, but even I know that in kidnapping cases (at least in the US) it's very often someone close to the victim. I was expecting it to be the head of security, and I'll admit I felt a little cheated when it was some random guy. Take a pointer or two from the crime procedurals.

The dad was a Mexican drug criminal who fled Mexico to avoid the sort of thing that happened in this episode. Right now, drug violence in between rival criminal groups and between the criminal groups and the law (military, cops, politicians) in Mexico is mind-blowing and kidnappings have become a very common tool to make money and/or strike back at your rivals. It is a different beast than how kidnappings in the US tend to go.

Dollhouse has it's finger on the pulse of current events! Smart writing, IMO.

Remove ads