• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dollhouse #3:Stage Fright/ Season 1/2009

fba827

Adventurer
Just watched the episode, and I had some random thoughts ...

**KIND OF SPOILERISH**

* In general, I don't like "singer" themed episodes of most any show (same goes for ones that are "saving the wrestler of the week" or boxing or even football).. it's just a personal thing about topics that hold little interest to me that usually puts me off on the premise to start with. So with that in mind, the episode was still decent enough for me (in that it wasn't 100% predicable what with the stalker's connection -- I won't say what to avoid spoilers; and was still okay in general)

* I don't know why, but the subtle thing at the end where sierra was going to say hi but echo shook her head no was cool. just set it up for what they are and aren't remembering and echo being aware enough to realize something about it shouldn't be talked about

* I kept trying to figure out how Lubov (? - the russian guy that Agent Ballard kept contacting with) was in all the show cast shots as if a main character, but the way they had him set up in the first two episodes didn't seem like he had much lasting character to explore... so, this episode answered that question for me. silly i know, but it was bugging me.

* in the dollhouse episode #2 thread on these boards, wolff96 made a comment that got me thinking about alpha - saying that maybe agent ballard was the alpha and that was going to be a twist on the show. However, rewatching the first episode, i saw that his superiors commented about how ballard has been hunting the dollhouse for 14 months without results, so alpha escaping 3 months ago would not jive with that theory... HOWEVER, this got me thinking ...

* when i first watched the first episode, I'll admit it, I didn't catch that the naked guy was the rogue alpha. In fact, I thought it was Dominic (the blonde guy that talks to the head lady - I'm bad with names so, sorry if I'm mixing them up) and kept wondering why he is naked and killing people! THen when I realized that it was supposed to rogue alpha it made more sense. But after considering wolff96's comment I got back to this ... is it possible that Dominic IS the rogue alpha? Yes, I know dominic was working there when alpha escaped. But what if alpha was eventually killed (that is the "story" that they told the scarred doctor) but then downloaded in to dominic? Just, the hair color, hair length, body type all seemed to match and i honestly thought the naked guy was him when i saw that episode. Of course, the same is sort of true of agent ballard if his hair has just the right lighting to make it blonder. It comes down to whether or not alpha was really killed and if he was, the possibility of his brain being downloaded in to someone else means he could be someone who already has an established history.

anyway, just my random thoughts.

in general, i won't claim it's a great show, but it's decent enough for me to enjoy and play along with for now.

Edit: Is Eliza Dushku (actress that plays echo) especially short or something? In this particular episode (I wasn't watching this close on others) every time they show her standing up, she is wearing 'thick soled' boots as they were semi-platform style to make her look taller, or as tall as, other people she was standing next to. Of course, it could have just been "the fashion" for the pop music scene she was infiltrating.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Not that awful an episode. I like the obvious parallelisms between the lead singer and Echo. I still find Dushku slightly grating.

Richards

Legend
I was kept amused by all the Britney Spears connections: the "shave her head" comment, "working for the Mouse," etc. Overall, it was better than I thought it would be, because I, too, dislike action shows getting tied up in the world of singing, sports, etc. I was a bit confused by Sierra's presence there as a "backup" to Echo, though, as she didn't seem to be programmed to protect Rayna (was that her name? the lead singer) at all.

Johnathan

LightPhoenix

First Post
I was a bit confused by Sierra's presence there as a "backup" to Echo, though, as she didn't seem to be programmed to protect Rayna (was that her name? the lead singer) at all.

This is a fanwank, but I think her mission was either to protect Echo, or to protect Rayna if Echo failed.

Last edited:

I was kept amused by all the Britney Spears connections: the "shave her head" comment, "working for the Mouse," etc. Overall, it was better than I thought it would be, because I, too, dislike action shows getting tied up in the world of singing, sports, etc. I was a bit confused by Sierra's presence there as a "backup" to Echo, though, as she didn't seem to be programmed to protect Rayna (was that her name? the lead singer) at all.

Johnathan

I think what was to happen was pretty much what happened - I presume the profile suggested that if the stalker couldn't get her, he would use someone close to her, and a fan would work fine for that purpose.

The only flaw in their plan was recognizing that Rayna wanted to die, which screwed everything up.

Of course, that might just as well only be considered a "fanwank", but I wouldn't know any other use Sierra could have served with a purely fan-personality.

wolff96

First Post
* in the dollhouse episode #2 thread on these boards, wolff96 made a comment that got me thinking about alpha - saying that maybe agent ballard was the alpha and that was going to be a twist on the show. However, rewatching the first episode, i saw that his superiors commented about how ballard has been hunting the dollhouse for 14 months without results, so alpha escaping 3 months ago would not jive with that theory... HOWEVER, this got me thinking ...

Honestly, until the "Viktor" reveal, I thought that was the POINT -- provide a doll with the appropriate fabricated background, find (or fake) a way to get him assigned to the case by being lousy at his job, then have him completely fail to make progress and be terrible at his job. Not to mention sounding like a crazy nut by always talking about how SURE he is that the Dollhouse exists.

Then he goes crazy and his personality splits due to the imprinting: Half is the murderous Alpha, half is the clueless FBI agent, neither is truly aware of the other even though Alpha is trying to help the FBI agent expose the Dollhouse.

I still like it as a wild theory, but I'm guessing the Viktor reveal blows it out of the water -- at that point, Alpha would have had to find a way into the FBI on his own, get assigned to the right case, and start working on it -- which blows the timing up unless he was already 'loose' long before the Dollhouse knew he was crazy. And given how closely they watch their dolls, I don't think that's even slightly possible.

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. :)

Fast Learner

First Post
I'm getting much more into the groove of the show and am really starting to dig it. The Victor reveal and the little headshake at the end are examples of how the mysteries behind it are really beginning to pull it together for me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads