• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dollhouse #9:Spy in the House of Love/Season 1/2009

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Topher has to be in on it as well or the programming wouldn't be right.

I have a hard time believeing Adelle would trust anybody to help her with this. The whole point of the trysts is to have somebody that she knows she can trust. The old woman is a potentially huge plot hole, depending on when or if they ever explain her.

With Topher, I think all you need to do is give him a set of preferred characteristics. Sure, he might be able to infer something from your list of desired traits, but that would require the kind of insight that he hasn't demonstrated up to this point.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I have a hard time believeing Adelle would trust anybody to help her with this. The whole point of the trysts is to have somebody that she knows she can trust. The old woman is a potentially huge plot hole, depending on when or if they ever explain her.

With Topher, I think all you need to do is give him a set of preferred characteristics. Sure, he might be able to infer something from your list of desired traits, but that would require the kind of insight that he hasn't demonstrated up to this point.

The problem is that the programming is more complex. The Doll has to go to the old lady, take her car, ditch his handlers, and then drive to an undisclosed location. That scenario can't happen without somebody on the programming side knowing it.

GSHamster

Adventurer
The problem is that the programming is more complex. The Doll has to go to the old lady, take her car, ditch his handlers, and then drive to an undisclosed location. That scenario can't happen without somebody on the programming side knowing it.

The dolls aren't total robots, they're still human and can figure things out. As well, I'm pretty sure that personality retained memories from encounter to encounter. Store the persona at the end of one encounter to use in the next one.

So the old lady explains stuff to the persona the first time, and he remembers what he's supposed to do each time. And because he's a suave type of guy, he pulls it off with style.

fba827

Adventurer

Regarding Adelle's secret, I'm of the same thought-wave as Remus Lupin for a couple reasons ...

Recall back to the (I forgot the title) bank vault robbery episode.
In it, when the client speaks to Adelle, he specifically asks if anyone knows about his request. To this, Adelle responds that it since he requested privacy, is all done by computer, and the computer merely gives the parameters and skill set needed to the task to the programmers, but that no one actually knows the details of the task itself.
-- So following that logic, Topher would just know "it's a romance thing" and they already know the client as a repeat client "Ms Lonely Hearts" so it'd be some romantic stuff and other various characteristics like that. But he wouldn't necessarily need to know all the details (presuming what Adelle told the bank vault client was true).

Also, up until the "drug" incident, Adelle had no reaction to Topher other than "employee" - since they shared the drug incident, you can tell she's a little more sympathetic to him. But since she started as Ms Lonely Hearts before that, I don't think she would have told them in their previous relationship-state. Also, Topher is way too "im-hyper-thats-awesome-i-cant-keep-secrets" type. So I don't think he could have kept such a secret if he knew it.

As an aside, I don't know why, the old woman seemed a little out of it. So I'm guessing her age has caught up with her mind and she wasn't all together there other than "oh that nice man is back with flowers for me."

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads